HiRez Poll Beatles, The - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

• Total voters
...There is a lot more going on in the surrounds than one might think. Although much of this content is often duplicated in the fronts, there are distinct level changes (and perhaps phase changes) that appear from time to time in the surrounds. The problem is that these subtleties can go unnoticed because the surround channels seem to have been mastered at too low a level compared to the fronts and center. So the next time through I cranked up the surrounds by 5 dB above my reference level. The results were magnificent...

Nothing like a QQ forum member quoting his own bullshit o_O ...Anyway, I listened to this right after Abbey Road 5.1 and I am very happy with Pepper as long as the surrounds are cranked up substantially. I ripped it and raised the surrounds 3dB based on recommendations from others on this forum. For my tastes, on most of these songs I still feel that more juicing of the surrrounds is necessary than the recommended 3dB. (But beware of Paul's backing vocals dominating Lucy In The Sky.) So don't be shy when it comes to cranking the surrounds if you see fit.

Listening to all The Beatles surround albums today, I feel I need to revise my votes as follows:
Abbey Road: Perfect fidelity and almost universally excellent surround mixes. 10.
Love: Same as Abbey Road. 10.
White Album: Overly bright sound and about half of the surround mixes are excellent. 9.
Sgt Pepper: Overly bright sound, heavy limiting, and some underwhelming surround mixes. 8.

Nothing like a QQ forum member quoting his own bullshit o_O ...Anyway, I listened to this right after Abbey Road 5.1 and I am very happy with Pepper as long as the surrounds are cranked up substantially. I ripped it and raised the surrounds 3dB based on recommendations from others on this forum. For my tastes, on most of these songs I still feel that more juicing of the surrrounds is necessary than the recommended 3dB. (But beware of Paul's backing vocals dominating Lucy In The Sky.) So don't be shy when it comes to cranking the surrounds if you see fit.
I have finally tried the 3 db boost on the rears and it does help. A few more playings and I might increase my vote from 7 to 8....

Listening to all The Beatles surround albums today, I feel I need to revise my votes as follows:
Abbey Road: Perfect fidelity and almost universally excellent surround mixes. 10.
Love: Same as Abbey Road. 10.
White Album: Overly bright sound and about half of the surround mixes are excellent. 9.
Sgt Pepper: Overly bright sound, heavy limiting, and some underwhelming surround mixes. 8.
yep

To my ear, it isn't the rears too low. It's the treble boost in the fronts making them too sizzly and hot! (And that treble boost they did in mastering was much more than 3db!) After the restoration mastering I did on my copy - that I noted a while ago - the balance all around was restored. And the fidelity was much closer to the original stereo mix. Dare I say nearly fully restored, even. Worth doing! This mix is very much worth hearing once restored too.

Very nearly identical restoration needed for the White Album mix and it turned out very well too. So I still have that DAW session on hand of course. Yet I still haven't worked up the energy to listen to what I assume will be the same shit crude mastering treatment of Abbey Road and go after rescuing it! It's one of my most favorite of all time albums and I just may never give this new disc a spin and avoid muttering wtf and a drive to rescue it. Haven't even ripped it yet...

To my ear, it isn't the rears too low. It's the treble boost in the fronts making them too sizzly and hot! (And that treble boost they did in mastering was much more than 3db!) After the restoration mastering I did on my copy - that I noted a while ago - the balance all around was restored. And the fidelity was much closer to the original stereo mix. Dare I say nearly fully restored, even. Worth doing! This mix is very much worth hearing once restored too.

Very nearly identical restoration needed for the White Album mix and it turned out very well too. So I still have that DAW session on hand of course. Yet I still haven't worked up the energy to listen to what I assume will be the same shit crude mastering treatment of Abbey Road and go after rescuing it! It's one of my most favorite of all time albums and I just may never give this new disc a spin and avoid muttering wtf and a drive to rescue it. Haven't even ripped it yet...
I don't have Sgt Pepper but the mastering on Abbey Road is way better than the White Album. You should give it a listen - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

SGT P < TWA < AR

Yes, Fidelity wise, but content wise SGT P is my favorite.

Why, I have this memory of being 10 years old (40 years ago) and hearing some of these songs in elementary school when someone had a radio in the backround while the school released thousands of balloons in the air with notes attached (early internet huh? ;):cool: )

Were you one who found a balloon?

Yes, Fidelity wise, but content wise SGT P is my favorite.

Why, I have this memory of being 10 years old (40 years ago) and hearing some of these songs on the elementary school radio while they released thousands of balloons in the air with notes attached (early internet huh? ;):cool: )

Were you one who found a balloon?
Between you and me, I like the 5.1 of SP just fine...

Can anyone post waveforms on this? One for one of the singles and one of the album tracks if possible.

Back