Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new trend of two-fers with one album in stereo and the other in quad gave me some new ideas:

Wild Cherry - Wild Cherry (stereo) & Electrified Funk (quad)
Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now (stereo) & My Merry-Go-Round (quad)
Ted Nugent - Free-For-All (quad) & Cat Scratch Fever (stereo)
B.T. Express - Non-Stop (stereo) & Energy To Burn (quad)
Manhattans - The Manhattans (stereo) & It Feels So Good (quad)

The new trend of two-fers with one album in stereo and the other in quad gave me some new ideas:

i'd loooooooove all of those gems done that way!!
i'd add Maynard Ferguson's "Conquistador" and Burton Cummings' solo Quad, each paired up with a Stereo offering of theirs too.. ooh and don't forget The Miracles.. but i've had to give up hope for that B.T. Express as they're not on Sony in the UK (originally on EMI over here in the 70's and now Roadshow.. boo hoo! 😢

Well here’s to hoping 🥂 that Michael Dutton and team already have some of these titles in their sights! Probably just a matter of them being able to get the tapes.
The value and quality certainly are there; besides, many of the stereo titles I’ve yet to hear also. So I’d get the chance to experience new (old) music, or maybe call it NOM; sorta like NOS - NOM NOM NOM 😋

OK..... really wild idea here...!

So, either D-V or Sony got someone to remix two tracks on PR&TR "Hard & Heavy", right? To complete the Quad side of the album.

Well, the old "Bat out of Hell" SACD from..... 2001? needs two tracks replaced. IIRC, they couldn't locate the multitracks for "Heaven Can Wait", nor "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". So, they faked HCW and re-recorded the missing parts and used an earlier, incomplete multitrack for "Paradise". Well, I'm told that either just before the original release or slightly after (depending on who tells the story) that the missing multitracks WERE located and are either complete or missing virtually nothing. I myself have a digital copy of the "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" multitrack that is only missing Edgar Winter's Saxophone parts, required one vocal repair section that I flew in from the stereo track, is missing the grunts and groans from the Play by Play section and finally, the "it was long ago and far away / so much better than it is today" part during the fadeout.

All of which I was able to fly in from the stereo cut, and I'm certain a professional could do a much better job.

What do you all think? Could they remix the two "missing" songs to finally complete a correct version of the album in 5.1? Is this too far outside the realm to be a consideration for D-V? I think it's a great opportunity not only for a more modern attempt at remastering the stereo tracks but a chance to finally imagine "Bat Out of Hell" as a proper, 5.1 remix.

I dunno. Stupid thought as I was doing laundry tonight.

Last edited:
These two were from Capitol..... Others in pipeline?? Ringo? Glenn Campbell? Grand Funk????......

A three-fer with the 3 GFRR quads would be a dream. Always felt p****d off when a famous guy working for a famous label was doing the sacd of WAAB and he was sent to him in error the quad master, not the stereo, and did a stereo-only release.

The Helen Reddy looks very interesting. A sure buy for me. Have to admit I know nothing about the Funk offers but I am probably more familiar with them than I realize. Will wait to hear from you experts.

Grand Funk had three quad releaes:
We're An American Band
Shinin' On
All The Girls In The World Beware

You can find nearly complete albums on Youtube, or check'em out on streaming services for free.
WAAB is a sparser quad mix than the other two, but all three are a big rockin' fun.

Here's my opinion on these:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/grand-funk-railroad-were-an-american-band-q8.17261/

I really hope this means there's more O'Jays in the wings. Speaking of that, if they can now dip into the Capitol vaults, would be neat if we could get a two-fer of both Macca & Wings Quads, maybe the Ringo's (Vienna + Unreleased). For O'Jays, there's still Ship Ahoy, Message in the Music, Live in London and quite possibly Backstabbers.

We now have all four Earth, Wind and Fire's with the two brought by Audio Fidelity and that is very cool.

I really hope this means there's more O'Jays in the wings. Speaking of that, if they can now dip into the Capitol vaults, would be neat if we could get a two-fer of both Macca & Wings Quads, maybe the Ringo's (Vienna + Unreleased). For O'Jays, there's still Ship Ahoy, Message in the Music, Live in London and quite possibly Backstabbers.

We now have all four Earth, Wind and Fire's with the two brought by Audio Fidelity and that is very cool.

Absolutely, those would be amazing to get!

The Earth Wind & Fire titles have been very high up on my wish list so this was an instant purchase for me. (I am still living in hope for Dave Mason's It's Like You Never Left. :))

I'm excited by it for another reason as well. That's the Way of the World had previously been released on 2.0 SACD by MFSL. This shows us that it's not impossible for DV to issue a 4.0 SACD of something that we had previously felt had been "quad blocked" due to MFSL's indifference to surround sound. Maybe somewhere down the line DV can get us a couple of Billy Joel titles.

:51QQ

If Capitol includes the Liberty and UA stuff, then maybe we can get Barleycorn or Canned Heat Future Blues or Ventures or the Ike & Tina double, Buddy Rich, Fiddler s/t, War, Live And Let Die.

All good candidates, although I'm not sure that Universal/EMI has the rights to War.

Was Barleycorn ever mixed for Quad? It does sound good on SHM-SACD albeit 2ch.

If Backstabbers was actually mixed and we could get it, I honestly don't know how I'd react. That would be a literal dream come true. It had to have been done. I can't see Columbia mixing EVERY OTHER O'Jays album to Quad EXCEPT the one that went Platinum and had TWO Gold Singles. There's no way they were that incompetent.

If Backstabbers was actually mixed and we could get it, I honestly don't know how I'd react. That would be a literal dream come true. It had to have been done. I can't see Columbia mixing EVERY OTHER O'Jays album to Quad EXCEPT the one that went Platinum and had TWO Gold Singles. There's no way they were that incompetent.

During the Quad Era, the labels were often mixing and releasing the latest albums by an artist or group vs. their back catalog.
That is the more likely explanation as to why certain hit albums were not mixed and released in Quad.

Today, the question is would the cost of pulling tapes and remixing into Surround Sound plus the artist and label guarantee payments pencil out for a reissue label to revisit an album not originally mixed into Surround Sound.

During the Quad Era, the labels were often mixing and releasing the latest albums by an artist or group vs. their back catalog.
That is the more likely explanation as to why certain hit albums were not mixed and released in Quad.

Today, the question is would the cost of pulling tapes and remixing into Surround Sound plus the artist and label guarantee payments pencil out for a reissue label to revisit an album not originally mixed into Surround Sound.
I love that question Brian, now if some insider here could just let loose and answer that one question, that would be a special day here at the QQ. I'm sure that the answer would change depending on each title in question.

Last edited:
Back