HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Cherish those Oppo players:

The X800 can't handle 4 channel FLAC, you need to pad your files with an empty center channel and they'll play properly. @HomerJAU's music helper app is perfect for this.
I absolutely DO cherish my 2 Oppos. They have consistently been the very best players I've ever owned..... wouldn't sell them ever. I hope they last. To be honest, I hardly use them. I mean, I only use the one to rip SACD's.

I absolutely DO cherish my 2 Oppos. They have consistently been the very best players I've ever owned..... wouldn't sell them ever. I hope they last. To be honest, I hardly use them. I mean, I only use the one to rip SACD's.
I feel that way about my Oppo 103. Never plan to sell, hope it lasts as long as I do... :rolleyes:

It plays the occasional blu-ray and rips SACD's. I bought a compatible Sony BR player to take over future SACD ripping. Save the mechanism on the Oppo :)

I too love my two Oppos, but unfortunately, I use the hell out of them as I’ve yet to join the ripping game. Maybe that should be my New Year resolution, as I’d hate to lose either to my abuse!

I too love my two Oppos, but unfortunately, I use the hell out of them as I’ve yet to join the ripping game. Maybe that should be my New Year resolution, as I’d hate to lose either to my abuse!
Just say the word, lots of folks here to help; and @sbrom has the right idea; get a cheap Sony for SACD ripping👍

Well that was the easiest ten outta ten in the world. Forget the 5.1, the quad mix is a work of art, it's demonstration quality and has a ton of fun ear-grabbing surround effects that I love. What a great way to fall in love with this album again after I'd kind of tired of it again!

Yeah I've met people that do and fair enough, but to me it sounds like someone just drowned the stereo mix in reverb and poked synths and stuff into the rears occasionally.
I found it enjoyable, despite its issues... wait for it...
until the SW came along! Fortunately, both are on the bluray, so it's easy to scratch either itch or compare them.

I found it enjoyable, despite its issues... wait for it...
until the SW came along! Fortunately, both are on the bluray, so it's easy to scratch either itch or compare them.

Definitely hit and miss on the original version. It was one of my first DVDA's so I got as much out of it as I could, but those "moments" were few and far between.

Back to DSOTM:
This "Quad" is a Sonic masterpiece. It gets my second 10 vote (along with Abbey Road 5.1)
I loved the album when it came out and couldn't get enough of it. Then it's legendary status grew and songs like "Money" were played to death on the radio. Too much of anything can make you sick.
I purchased a legit standalone demo version nine months ago but forced myself myself to wait.
A recent QQ review whetted my hunger so it was time to see why this has remained near the top of the polls. Is it over hyped or can it really be that good?
The first thing I noticed was that I could really crank up the volume. That is a big + for me.
There is exceptional low bass. I'm surprised that there is no LFE channel.
On the run is done perfectly. I wish AP had done a quad version of Welcome to the machine in the same vein. It would have turned out much better than the one we got.
I feel that the lead guitar on Time is a little hot but perfect. Gilmour really wails. It's right in your face.
Money is a delectable feast of tasty guitar. You get rythym guitars out of both surrounds and lead guitar from the front. Then the lead guitar panning to all 4 corners. Awesome!
I like Us and them but lyrically maybe a little heavy
Any colour you like really picks me up. Sounds pinging all over the place. Richard Wright and Gilmour are everywhere. Excellent!
Brain damage hits home a little to hard for me but that's a personal issue...
Eclipse is a perfect ending. The backup vocalist's shine.

Back to DSOTM:
This "Quad" is a Sonic masterpiece. It gets my second 10 vote (along with Abbey Road 5.1)...

...I wish AP had done a quad version of Welcome to the machine in the same vein.
It would have turned out much better than the one we got...

I hate to clutter a poll thread, but I'm going to say this one more time.

Both Immersion boxes with the vaunted quad mixes are currently available from Amazon US, sourced from Amazon UK Global, for a little over $70 shipped.
Folks paranoid about Euro BluRay disc rot needn't bother.
If you are a ripper or feel lucky, here's your chance.

I'm delighted with mine, and those scarves will come in handy now that winter has arrived in Cornstock Nation.

https://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were-Here-Immersion/dp/B004ZNAUVW

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Immersion-Box/dp/B004ZNARH4

Thanks Mike!! Appreciate the fast replies and suggestion. I will say the Dolby isn't half bad, for what it is at 640kbps (beggars can't be choosers - of course I would have liked a dts 1500 kbps mastering).

Been wanting to hear the Parsons quad for a long, long time so I'm glad to have something working rather than no version. I listened to the BDA 5.1 for a few moments, switching back and fourth from the 4.0, just to make sure I wasn't crazy and my system was working correctly. Although I need to put the SACD back on, the BDA sounded sweet, maybe better than what I remember from listening to the SACD.

Have a Merry Christmas my "Life in Surround" buddy!
You just have to use the analog outputs of your players, it's a combination of the player and the receiver, there's a thread somewhere where we've discussed about it at length (I've got the same issue as you do)

You just have to use the analog outputs of your players, it's a combination of the player and the receiver, there's a thread somewhere where we've discussed about it at length (I've got the same issue as you do)
Unfortunately not possible on the Sony UBP-X800. No 5.1 analog outs. :confused:(n)

Back to DSOTM:
This "Quad" is a Sonic masterpiece. It gets my second 10 vote (along with Abbey Road 5.1)
I loved the album when it came out and couldn't get enough of it. Then it's legendary status grew and songs like "Money" were played to death on the radio. Too much of anything can make you sick.
I purchased a legit standalone demo version nine months ago but forced myself myself to wait.
A recent QQ review whetted my hunger so it was time to see why this has remained near the top of the polls. Is it over hyped or can it really be that good?
The first thing I noticed was that I could really crank up the volume. That is a big + for me.
There is exceptional low bass. I'm surprised that there is no LFE channel.
On the run is done perfectly. I wish AP had done a quad version of Welcome to the machine in the same vein. It would have turned out much better than the one we got.
I feel that the lead guitar on Time is a little hot but perfect. Gilmour really wails. It's right in your face.
Money is a delectable feast of tasty guitar. You get rythym guitars out of both surrounds and lead guitar from the front. Then the lead guitar panning to all 4 corners. Awesome!
I like Us and them but lyrically maybe a little heavy
Any colour you like really picks me up. Sounds pinging all over the place. Richard Wright and Gilmour are everywhere. Excellent!
Brain damage hits home a little to hard for me but that's a personal issue...
Eclipse is a perfect ending. The backup vocalist's shine.
Interesting, I found it to be a little bass shy. What's your setup like?

Back