Edgar Winter 'Frankenstein': Quad LP vs Quad 45

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

Does anyone have the Quad 45 of 'Frankenstein' (Epic JBQ 506)? It has long been agreed that the album version is a fantastic quad demo track, and there are several differences between the stereo and quad mixes. But I just realized that the single version is much shorter (3:28 as opposed to 4:45). This was true with the stereo album vs stereo single already. My question is, how different is the quad single to the quad album? Is the mix closer to the stereo single, or is it something else again?

For that matter, the flip side of the quad 'Frankenstein' single is 'Free Ride'. The album track is 3:20, the single is 3:05. Was it just a shorter fade, or is there more to it than that? I'm not trying to be a purist, I'm just fascinated that so many versions were created.

I have the LP and never knew there was a Quad single! I suspect it would just be an edited version of the album track.

Don't know about an SQ version but I can say for sure that Free Ride is drastically different on the stereo single than the stereo album version or the quad version. Has completely different guitar parts among other things.

I love finding information out like this. Now I need to chase down a copy of the stereo 45 for that alternate version.....yes good luck finding the quad single.....

Jefe1, the single mix of Free Ride is definitely a little more "snazzy" than the album mix. Free Ride was a very popular song when it came out, and they must have felt that the album mix was a little plain and needed some spiffing up.

no actually. Didn't mean to be confusing there. I was talking about the stereo version that was put out as a single. I wasn't aware of the quad 45's, although I do remember seeing some mentions about quad "ep's" that were made for juke boxes.

So , you have the quad single ?
No not at all.

I do have a few jukebox quad 45s bought off the bay long ago and perhaps a Garfunkel quad 45.

I used to collect 45s for the picture sleeves and the non album B sides.
Sometimes the A side is different mix or take.

Don't know about an SQ version but I can say for sure that Free Ride is drastically different on the stereo single than the stereo album version or the quad version. Has completely different guitar parts among other things.
The 45 of Free Ride is WAY different! There was another guitarist after Ronnie Montrose left and before Rick Derringer took over. I remember him playing with EWG on TV during his short tenure. Check out this wild video I hadn't seen before today: YouTube Free Ride live

Article Source

"you can witness Dan Hartman playing his Intro Riff and Singing the lead on his song, Free Ride, in the Edgar Winter Group. Live, he would play a double neck Guitar / Bass combo, and would play the opening guitar riff, then immediately switch to play the bass, then switch back to guitar for the riff, then back to bass, all within the same song. The Guitar Solo in the middle that Rick Derringer plays, was actually created by Jerry Weems, the EWG guitarist who replaced Ronnie Montrose, before Rick Derringer rejoined and took over lead guitar for the EWG. When Rick Derringer played the lead, he played the same lead guitar solos that was originally written by Jerry Weems! So even though you may hear Rick Derringer playing a killer lead on this song, whether on a studio version or live version of the song, he is playing the lead guitar solo’s that were arranged by Jerry Weems!”

The 45 of Free Ride is WAY different! There was another guitarist after Ronnie Montrose left and before Rick Derringer took over. I remember him playing with EWG on TV during his short tenure. Check out this wild video I hadn't seen before today: YouTube Free Ride live

Article Source

"you can witness Dan Hartman playing his Intro Riff and Singing the lead on his song, Free Ride, in the Edgar Winter Group. Live, he would play a double neck Guitar / Bass combo, and would play the opening guitar riff, then immediately switch to play the bass, then switch back to guitar for the riff, then back to bass, all within the same song. The Guitar Solo in the middle that Rick Derringer plays, was actually created by Jerry Weems, the EWG guitarist who replaced Ronnie Montrose, before Rick Derringer rejoined and took over lead guitar for the EWG. When Rick Derringer played the lead, he played the same lead guitar solos that was originally written by Jerry Weems! So even though you may hear Rick Derringer playing a killer lead on this song, whether on a studio version or live version of the song, he is playing the lead guitar solo’s that were arranged by Jerry Weems!”
Is that a Gibson Firebird Derringer's playing (almost as big as Rick?) Looks like it's got a Les Paul headstock on it?

I believe that’s a Gibson Explorer (somebody can correct me) which is also geometric in design.
http://lobueguitars.com/guitar_details.asp?product=14*-Edit Just wanted to finish my thoughts on this (laptop battery died.)
Tim, looks like you got this one right (more pointy angular shape than a Firebird; but even though the web page I noted above has good info, I believe it leaves some things out and is possibly wrong on others.
What looks off to me is the different pickguard and headstock shape plus a couple of added (possibly effects) switches on the pickguard (control cover?) So I believe it's a customized earlier version. Here's a photo of a 70's Explorer. Sorry for the off topic conversation here 🧐

G-Explorer.jpg

Last edited:
I love "Free Ride" so much. Nearly 50 years later, it still makes me smile.

Back in the day, I used to run sound for a local band that covered this tune along with lots of others from this group. I had a Moog Sonic Six set up back at the mix board that I played for synthesizer effects where needed - the big whooshing sound on this tune, the wailing siren intro to "Riding The Storm Out," passing car horns on Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam," stuff like that. It turned some heads in the clubs, as there were pretty much zero live bands using synthesizers in our little cow town at the time. Those were the days...

These days, I'd give my left bazinga for more quad reissues from any of the Edgar/Johnny Winter gang!

no actually. Didn't mean to be confusing there. I was talking about the stereo version that was put out as a single. I wasn't aware of the quad 45's, although I do remember seeing some mentions about quad "ep's" that were made for juke boxes.
Yes, I have a small collection of the jukebox ep's. and a few 45's. But I am still looking.

A little follow up here on the Edgar Winter Singles. I don't like recalling distant memories so this morning I pulled all my EW singles out of storage. I played all three. My observations on the 3 stereo singles.
Frankenstein was always reported to be a Frankenstein mix because of all the edits. Well the single has even more so I would propose that the single is the true Frankenstein mix. The B side to Frankenstein is Undercover Man, not Free Ride. Undercover Man sounds similar to the stereo album version.
Next up is Free Ride which is actually the A side. The guitar part in the middle is different as well as the synth sound at the break. The closing vocals are also different. The B side to Free ride is When it Comes which sounds similar to the stereo mix.
Last, I have a single of Hangin' Around with We All Had A Real Good Time. I don't know which is the A side but Hangin' Around is definately different than either the stereo or quad version with a different guitar solo in the middle.
One last thing is all six sides are produced by Rick Derringer according to the labels.

Back