Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let me qualify my response with this possibility.
If your BR was off, the DHCP lease expired, plugging in your new device may have caused it to get the IP that was previously in use by your BR player. You should be able to check its IP and see if that is what happened.
That's what I was thinking (sort of -LOL), and I only use the hard wire for this stuff no wifi, but I do use the wifi for other things in the house.

Hi,

I wanted to pass on my thanks to all on this thread and also those over at HIFiHaven. After having a read I felt empowered to pick up a second hand BDP-S4100 and within a few days have ripped my first SACD.

I can confirm the process (AutoScript, sacd_extract_160, sacd_extract-WINDOWS-v0.3.9@setmind_git_2018-10-08, W10x64) works with firmware M15.R.0257 dated 05-03-2019 on an S4100

Happy new year and thanks again, Cheers, Nick

Hi,

I wanted to pass on my thanks to all on this thread and also those over at HIFiHaven. After having a read I felt empowered to pick up a second hand BDP-S4100 and within a few days have ripped my first SACD.

I can confirm the process (AutoScript, sacd_extract_160, sacd_extract-WINDOWS-v0.3.9@setmind_git_2018-10-08, W10x64) works with firmware M15.R.0257 dated 05-03-2019 on an S4100

Happy new year and thanks again, Cheers, Nick
Hi Nick,
Thankyou for your post and confirmation that the process still works as advertised!!
A Happy new year to you and all our fellow rippers.
Cheers
Mike
🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Thanks to all for all the great tips. I've got it working (sorta) but am still having one issue.

I'm using a Sony BDP-S390 and sacdextractgui. I've got an SACD ripped successfully, turn it on, eject the CD, put in a new one and then turn it off. Then when I get ready to rip it, it says libsacdread.so can't be opened. I can ping it just fine. If I hit Test it says port 2002 is accessible. (And I know that the IP hasn't changed etc. because I have my router reserve the address for it; and I've double-checked it.)

Sometimes if I turn on the player and turn it off again, it works (and I can rip the next CD successfully). Sometimes it doesn't; in that case, I have to start the whole process with sticking the USB stick in etc. etc. Then I can of course I can rip the CD successfully. But face the same issues after that disk.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you. As I mentioned, I can get CDs to rip, just that I have to go through this rigamarole every couple of rips.

Thanks to all for all the great tips. I've got it working (sorta) but am still having one issue.

I'm using a Sony BDP-S390 and sacdextractgui. I've got an SACD ripped successfully, turn it on, eject the CD, put in a new one and then turn it off. Then when I get ready to rip it, it says libsacdread.so can't be opened. I can ping it just fine. If I hit Test it says port 2002 is accessible. (And I know that the IP hasn't changed etc. because I have my router reserve the address for it; and I've double-checked it.)

Sometimes if I turn on the player and turn it off again, it works (and I can rip the next CD successfully). Sometimes it doesn't; in that case, I have to start the whole process with sticking the USB stick in etc. etc. Then I can of course I can rip the CD successfully. But face the same issues after that disk.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you. As I mentioned, I can get CDs to rip, just that I have to go through this rigamarole every couple of rips.
Hi and Welcome.
Great to read that you are successful in completing the SACD ripping process. It can be a daunting experience, even for experienced rippers!!
My Sony 4100 Blu-ray player has to be reset after every 5/6 rips, a pain but it's a quirk of the process for me, which I don't know of a way around. I suppose because I've got used to it, that I just accept it is part of getting these discs ripped.
I hope that helps, although it doesn't solve your immediate concern.
How many rips can you get done before you have to reset your player?
Regards
Mike

PS In thinking about this some more, it could be the way you are changing from one ripped SACD to another.

Last edited:
Believe me, I’m very happy that this process even exists. It’s an annoyance really. Currently, I can get two rips max before having to reset. I might try with the USB stick in all the time, that way I don’t have to get up an with it.

Definitely a first world problem. 😭

Believe me, I’m very happy that this process even exists. It’s an annoyance really. Currently, I can get two rips max before having to reset. I might try with the USB stick in all the time, that way I don’t have to get up an with it.

It's worth experimenting what works best for your Sony Blu-ray player.
If this really doesn't improve, then I'd recommend contacting Mickey Fresh over on HIfihaven...I put the link on at the start of this thread. He has a lot of expertise and is very helpful.

That’s a great attitude to have IMO; but it might be some peculiar glitch for that model as I use a Sony 5100 and I’ve gone up to maybe 8 rips. But by then I’m tired of ripping and do something else.

That’s a great attitude to have IMO; but it might be some peculiar glitch for that model as I use a Sony 5100 and I’ve gone up to maybe 8 rips. But by then I’m tired of ripping and do something else.
Yours has a limit too then Pups?
I never looked into this before, as just accepted it was a minor hiccup to overcome.

Yours has a limit too then Pups?
I never looked into this before, as just accepted it was a minor hiccup to overcome.
It only quits if it sits idle for a while; I said basically I quit, because it’s not just the rip, it’s also time needed to create cover art, and verify and correct all the metadata and edit as needed.

It only quits if it sits idle for a while; I said basically I quit, because it’s not just the rip, it’s also time needed to create cover art, and verify and correct all the metadata and edit as needed.
Ah so no reset issues that ssmaudio and I experience then, as ours are instant.
I think I will have a chat with Mickey, to see what he says.

I have been following the rippng thread over at Hifi Haven for several months. The reset issue is said to be some kind of "memory leak" that occurs.
I have not noticed a work around for that particular issue other than power cycling the Blu Ray player (only Sony's iirc)

I have been following the rippng thread over at Hifi Haven for several months. The reset issue is said to be some kind of "memory leak" that occurs.
I have not noticed a work around for that particular issue other than power cycling the Blu Ray player (only Sony's iirc)
I did wonder if this quirk (memory leak) was common place.
Yes, I just recycle the ripping procedure to overcome this issue.
Thanks for the info.... (y)

OK, I've figured out the main reason because of which I get this "libasacdread.so not accessible" business:

If I ever (ever, ever) hit the power button by mistake after I'm done with a rip. If I do, fuggetaboutit. Instead one must ALWAYS ALWAYS hit the eject-disk button. (And then you stick the next one in, etc. etc.)

There's one other fault scenario, where the player just freezes and you can't do anything with it--power down, eject, whatever. In that case, well, just do the whole USB drive insertion etc. all over again.

So for now, if I don't do the power-button-instead-of-eject-disk-button, I'm mostly able to keep going. So that's good.

Love the memory leak idea. I'm a computer scientist and fight them goddamn things every single day. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with them on my (few) off hours. Oh well.

OK, I've figured out the main reason because of which I get this "libasacdread.so not accessible" business:

If I ever (ever, ever) hit the power button by mistake after I'm done with a rip. If I do, fuggetaboutit. Instead one must ALWAYS ALWAYS hit the eject-disk button. (And then you stick the next one in, etc. etc.)

There's one other fault scenario, where the player just freezes and you can't do anything with it--power down, eject, whatever. In that case, well, just do the whole USB drive insertion etc. all over again.

So for now, if I don't do the power-button-instead-of-eject-disk-button, I'm mostly able to keep going. So that's good.

Love the memory leak idea. I'm a computer scientist and fight them goddamn things every single day. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with them on my (few) off hours. Oh well.
OK for us non techie types here (me 🤷‍♂️); what is a memory leak in a language I can understand please? I've always thought it might be due to some power saving/sleep mode on the player, resetting things.

Back