Playing SACDs with Quad Receivers & Buying SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Switchblade

First I appologize if I am in the wrong forum. There was a lot to choose from! Now the question. Is SACD a type of cd that can be usef in my SACD player and run direct to the AUX input of my Marantz and Pioneer 959 receivers. I bought my first quad receiver and albums in 1972 but abandoned it when one channel would blow out every few months. I have two replacements now but can’t remember a lot of stuff that lappened since then. I am 68 years old and just recently has these two rebuilt.

First I appologize if I am in the wrong forum. There was a lot to choose from! Now the question. Is SACD a type of cd that can be usef in my SACD player and run direct to the AUX input of my Marantz and Pioneer 959 receivers. I bought my first quad receiver and albums in 1972 but abandoned it when one channel would blow out every few months. I have two replacements now but can’t remember a lot of stuff that lappened since then. I am 68 years old and just recently has these two rebuilt.
You've got the right idea. To do that your SACD player will need to have multichannel analog outputs. You will also want to configure it with no center channel and probably no LFE channel. What SACD player are you using?

It's a Sony SCD-CE595 and the front of the manual just says Super Audio CD.
Yep that'll work. Plug the FL/FR/RL/RR outputs from the player into your quad amp or receiver. Go into the setup menu of the player and tell it you only have front and rear channels. That will blend the center signal into the fronts so nothing gets lost if you play something with 5 channels.

If you don't plan on using a subwoofer (I'm not sure how you would control its volume using vintage quad gear anyway), you need to set the player up for that too. In the setup for the player, tell it there is no subwoofer. It will then route the LFE bass to the front channels as well. Then you can listen to modern 5.1 SACDs without any signal getting lost.

If you don't plan on using a subwoofer (I'm not sure how you would control its volume using vintage quad gear anyway), you need to set the player up for that too. In the setup for the player, tell it there is no subwoofer. It will then route the LFE bass to the front channels as well. Then you can listen to modern 5.1 SACDs without any signal getting lost.

Yes, and don't forget to set the front and rear speaker settings to "Large", even if they aren't physically large.

Wow,thanks very much! Doesn't sound as hard as I thought. In reference to the sub woofer, I have a powered sub so it has volume controls for the bass.

importcds.com is a good site, with decent prices … and I don't have a problem with Amazon either … and there is Dutton-Vocalion in England. What kind of music do you like?

Yes, and don't forget to set the front and rear speaker settings to "Large", even if they aren't physically large.

Can you explain what setting the rears to large does.? I'm running a pair of Klipsch Academys rears, set to small.

Yep that'll work. Plug the FL/FR/RL/RR outputs from the player into your quad amp or receiver. Go into the setup menu of the player and tell it you only have front and rear channels. That will blend the center signal into the fronts so nothing gets lost if you play something with 5 channels.

I use two(RCA splitter) SVS powered subs with my Oppo105 and Marantz 4300. Sub output controlled by the Oppo and/or locally at the sub.

Wow,thanks very much! Doesn't sound as hard as I thought. In reference to the sub woofer, I have a powered sub so it has volume controls for the bass.

I use two(RCA splitter) SVS powered subs with my Oppo105 and Marantz 4300. Sub output controlled by the Oppo and/or locally at the sub.

Switchblade will have to use a similar method to what karlkastner does. Using just the volume control on the quad amp wont adjust volume of the LFE. In that instance, volume is best controlled by a volume control on the disc player.

I'm in the same situation as switchblade. I have a older model quad receiver (Sansui) and would love to get into some SACDs and the like. Right now, I just have albums. Anyone have a recommendation for a player that won't break the bank and do a decent job? Not sure if any are available "new" or if this is a technology that's not supported anymore (like my quad albums.) Again, I won't have a center channel or subwoofer.

Back