My Doors Perception DVD'S are rotting

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the only disc I don't have a rip for is my old Neil Young - Harvest. Guess I better get to it, too
Hmmm better check "Mojo" BD not sure about doing it either. Yikes!
I was backing up BD's to these "hard coat" Verbatims but they are so darned expensive but anyway it makes me wonder if this "hard coat" really preserves the discs.

beginning to think hard drive magnetic is the better alternative.

You don't hear people constantly saying on this forum, my hard drive backup is failing, like they do for their pressed discs.

I wonder if SSD is the savior that will outlast them all? So ironic, considering Random Access Memory (RAM) was invented, specifically developed for non-persistent storage.

Last edited:
Yeah, Snood has checked my discs every timesomebody has ever mentioned this or that going bad............this is the first time ever a disc has been wonky. Thing is they look pretty damn good:unsure: If was gonna go by looks NMNT for sure on them all.......like no scratches. Really dunno how they were treated for the 8 years before me got them, but they looked and played goooood.

Hold them up to light can't see any flaking or light come through

Thing is we rarely hear this about SACDs here. Wonder if they have these problems on Movie Bluray/DVD sites:unsure: or is it just the tunes companies cutting corners on their bluray/dvd manufacturing costs?

As of right now Snood happy with the tangible disc overall, but can see a time say in about 10 years or more that hey got all me stuff digitized on SSD or whatever we have ......maybe time to move some of this fun stuff. Maybe Not - still like going through and looking at stuff........but it def starts making ya think about the money we spend on these thingys and whether the companies are fulfilling it with quality product or cutting corners to make the extra buck.

Love getting a new boxset looking all and sounding all pretty..........but gimme a few more of the more expensive ones going south, then it might be a real call on whether to continue to support the hobby and the artists or look to alternative methods. :giggle: aaaaaaaand mini rant over :LB

Well Snood would support the hobby, just not the record companies :cool:

Last edited:
moral of the story, backup EVERY one of your discs.

The DMCA says NO, but this is exactly why. You Own them, you should have a right to copy and protect them if the manufacturers are/were clearly negligent in the manufacturing process (was it wilful at the time or accidental, does it matter, you received a faulty product in the long run)

fuk the DMCA

Yeah, Snood has checked my discs every timesomebody has ever mentioned this or that going bad............this is the first time ever a disc has been wonky. Thing is they look pretty damn good:unsure: If was gonna go by looks NMNT for sure on them all.......like no scratches.

Hold them up to light can't see any flaking or light come through

Thing is we rarely hear this about SACDs here. Wonder if they have these problems on Movie Bluray/DVD sites:unsure: or is it just the tunes companies cutting corners on their bluray/dvd manufacturing costs?
I was thinking the same thing today, as to why we never hear about SACDs going bad, must be better quality control/materials in manufacturing :unsure:

I was thinking the same thing today, as to why we never hear about SACDs going bad, must be better quality control/materials in manufacturing :unsure:

SACDs essentially utilize blank DVDs for replication to achieve their different layers so it is indeed perplexing why SACDs don't fail and these DVD~As have. And with the BD~A failures, another format to add to the list.

I just hope my Beatle's LOVE album doesn't decide to go south because I could NEVER EVER IMAGINE Living in a World WITHOUT LOVE❤

If this dastardly trend continues, Snood and I will just have to take up pole vaulting .... with Momma Snood keeping score on the sidelines!

See the source image

Last edited:
SACDs essentially utilize blank DVDs for replication to achieve their different layers so it is indeed perplexing why SACDs don't fail and these DVD~As have. And with the BD~A failures, another format to add to the list.

I just hope my Beatle's LOVE album doesn't decide to go south because I could NEVER EVER IMAGINE Living in a World WITHOUT LOVE❤

If this dastardly trend continues, Snood and I will just have to take up pole vaulting .... with Momma Snood keeping score on the sidelines!

See the source image
Or Discus throwing..... :)

beginning to think hard drive magnetic is the better alternative.

You don't hear people constantly saying on this forum, my hard drive backup is failing, like they do for their pressed discs.

I wonder if SSD is the savior that will outlast them all? So ironic, considering Random Access Memory (RAM) was invented, specifically developed for non-persistent storage.
Ahem. (raises hand) I've had a slew of HDD problems in the past year. I just hit Seagate for a replacement 8TB drive. While they (Seagate) are mostly easy to deal with, trying to move files off a dying drive can be problematic. Still, bang for buck the best option.
My main pc has 36TB of storage plus smaller SSD drives for the OS & documents. My wife's pc and my HTPC I have filled storage with rips. I have to use an add-in pcie board to give me 4 additional SATA slots to augment my Asus board's 8 SATA ports.
Most of my HDD's are fairly new, now, so I'm hoping they will be trouble free for a while. Over the years I've lost enough drives to make me very cautious, though, in fact losing almost all my Quad backup.
SSD's could be good storage, I think, now that prices are down out of the stratosphere from when I bought my Sammy 840 Pro's....but if you need a solution where files are constantly being moved then better to use HDD's (they say) to avoid "wearing out" your SSD's. If SSD's ever get up in the 8TB range and cheap enough then one could plan for replacement on a schedule to help insure failures don't compromise data. But you know how it goes; when I got my first 1GB HDD I thought who would ever need more storage? lol. (didn't mean to write a book)

I am very sorry to hear that so many of you are having this issue with disc rot. Being a glass half full kinda guy, I cannot help but think that it's a pretty good thing that Analogue Productions have released superb SACDs of these same Doors albums with the 5.1 mixes included on each of them. This means that whilst the DVDs will in time become useless, people can still get the SACDs and enjoy these fun mixes for many more years to come. This is a reason why I am so grateful that Dutton/Vocalion is releasing their reissues on SACDs.

Which version do you have?
I have the first listed below and no problems

Perception ‎(6xHDCD, Album, RM + 6xDVD-A, Multichannel + Box, C) Rhino Records (2), Elektra, Doors Music CompanyR2 77645US2006 1
Perception ‎(6xHDCD, Album, RM + 6xDVD-A, Album, Multichannel +) Rhino Records (2), Rhino Records (2), Elektra, Elektra, Doors Music Company, Doors Music CompanyR2 334844, R2 77645US2006
Perception ‎(Box, Comp + HDCD, Album, RM + DVD-A, Album, Multic) Elektra, Rhino Records (2)8122-79984-8UK & Europe2006
Anyone having problems with the UK/Europe version? I'm about to purchase this box set... but now I think it would be wise waiting for a few more replies in this thread.

I am very sorry to hear that so many of you are having this issue with disc rot. Being a glass half full kinda guy, I cannot help but think that it's a pretty good thing that Analogue Productions have released superb SACDs of these same Doors albums with the 5.1 mixes included on each of them. This means that whilst the DVDs will in time become useless, people can still get the SACDs and enjoy these fun mixes for many more years to come. This is a reason why I am so grateful that Dutton/Vocalion is releasing their reissues on SACDs.
That may indeed to turn out to be true in the long run....but you do know an SACD is basically a DVD physically?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

That may indeed to turn out to be true in the long run....but you do know an SACD is basically a DVD physically?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

Yes, except that the ratio of disc rot is much higher in DVD and Blu-Ray discs than it is in SACDs. I actually do not recall reading of a SACD showing signs of disc rot. Believe me, if SACDs were subject to disc rot as much as other discs, there would be many threads here from people crying over losing their collection. I truly hope it never happens. I truly love that format.

My Perception Box is still sealed, wonder if that will help slow this rot.
And don’t live in a humid part of the world either.
Time to open it up

Yes, time to open it up and let all of the rotting gases out of that box.
The chemicals from the glue, paper processing, and discs all sealed up in there will promote and advance any reactions that were likely. It's not mainly humidity. It's a reaction of various chemicals together gives off a gas. This is most of the time.

I am sure a disc can get rot within it's own sheet of metal not sealed well enough in plastic too.

Interesting thread. I only acquired this set three or four years ago, but at the time I had to buy this set twice off of eBay because I couldn't get the Strange Days 5.1 disc to read in my Sony blu-ray player. I ended up tracking down a used second set to get Strange Days. Ironically, I think the second set I ordered had a bad 5.1 disc with one of the other albums. After that experience I backed up the whole 5.1 DVD-A set to flac with DVD Audio Extractor.

Also, I emailed Rhino at the time on the off chance that they might have a replacement disc available for Strange Days, but after a couple of emails back and forth from them promising to see if they had any still on hand, I never heard back.

Yes, except that the ratio of disc rot is much higher in DVD and Blu-Ray discs than it is in SACDs. I actually do not recall reading of a SACD showing signs of disc rot. Believe me, if SACDs were subject to disc rot as much as other discs, there would be many threads here from people crying over losing their collection. I truly hope it never happens. I truly love that format.
Curious, isn't it?

Curious, isn't it?

Indeed. I do not know the specifics of various disc pressing methods, but it may have to do with the difference in chemicals used to manufacture SACDs. I could be wrong. Perhaps the quality control involved in making SACDs is also tighter than for other types of discs, I don't know.

Back