2 More Jimi Hendrix Stereo SACDs Coming from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get that, but one is almost as bad as the other. AP's Joan Armatrading SACD also was cancelled some moths ago.

The real problem is that both MoFi and AP [Acoustic Sounds] LOVE vinyl and consider SACD throwing listeners the proverbial 'bone!' When you look at the sheer ratio of vinyl to sacds released by both companies ....... a mere drop in the bucket. And with sales of vinyl surging, I feel we'll be seeing fewer and fewer SACD releases as time goes by.

Makes one appreciate Dutton Vocalion's dedication to releasing QUAD and STEREO SACDs not only on a pretty steady basis but pricing them ridiculously low as opposed to MoFi and AP's $30~35 pricing for STEREO SACDs [and a very occasional Surround SACD].

If ONLY Warner/Rhino would consign their remaining unreleased QUAD masters to D~V for replication, D~V would be THE premiere surround reissue company of all times but who knows the licensing fees/red tape involved. MoFi still releases Warner SACDs but AFAIK, those licensing fees are $30K PER TITLE for a limited run of 2000~3000 STEREO SACDs!

Last edited:
The real problem is that both MoFi and AP [Acoustic Sounds] LOVE vinyl and consider SACD throwing listener's the proverbial 'bone!' When you look at the sheer ratio of vinyl to sacds released by both companies ....... a mere drop in the bucket. And with sales of vinyl surging, I feel we'll be seeing fewer and fewer SACD releases as time goes by.

Makes one appreciate Dutton Vocalion's dedication to releasing QUAD and STEREO SACDs not only on a pretty steady basis but pricing them ridiculously low as opposed to MoFi and AP's $30~35 pricing for STEREO SACDs [and a very occasional Surround SACD].
True but, in defense of MoFi and AP(I can't believe that I'm typing this!), they're trying to get the rights to the catalogs of artists who are amazingly difficult to strike a deal with - unlike the a lot of the artists whose catalogs(for the most part) at least appear to have less obvious salability in the current market(not that DV has an easy a time of it - just ask Steelydave!). Anyway, think Hendrix and Dylan, for instance, on one side and then think Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Guess Who and BW Stevenson on the other. Please, no flames; just trying to be circumspect and completely honest here.

Still, major kudos to DV for their prodigious catalog AND for the fact that they announce when they release; not months in advance on a wing and a prayer.

True but, in defense of MoFi and AP(I can't believe that I'm typing this!), they're trying to get the rights to the catalogs of artists who are amazingly difficult to strike a deal with - unlike the a lot of the artists whose catalogs(for the most part) at least appear to have less obvious salability in the current market(not that DV has an easy a time of it - just ask Steelydave!). Anyway, think Hendrix and Dylan, for instance, on one side and then think Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Guess Who and BW Stevenson on the other. Please, no flames; just trying to be circumspect and completely honest here.

Still, major kudos to DV for their prodigious catalog AND for the fact that they announce when they release; not months in advance on a wing and a prayer.

I totally agree with your logic which is why MoFi/AP can release A list artists .......because they ARE shelling out $30K per title! We'd ALL love if D~V could get access to A listers but I'm sure the licensing fees/royalties/artist's approval would be way too rich for D~V's pockets. After all, AP has the backing of Acoustic Sounds [DEEP pockets] and MoFi has Music Direct as their sugar daddy and D~V is an independent reissue company with NO SUCH BACKERS.

And then of course there's UMG which is sitting on a treasure trove of QUAD masters some of which have perished in various fires and other mishaps so we really don't know what is truly available of their remaining QUADs.

And on a final note: As artists pass on, their families and/or estates inherit their masters and if you've read the various threads on QQ over the years, GOOD LUCK dealing with bickering relatives or estate lawyers, most of whom have NO interest in QUAD or strike unrealistic licensing 'deals' with the former record companies.

Last edited:
I totally agree with your logic which is why MoFi/AP can release A list artists .......because they ARE shelling out $30K per title! We'd ALL love if D~V could get access to A listers but I'm sure the licensing fees/royalties/artist's approval would be way too rich for D~V's pockets. After all, AP has the backing of Acoustic Sounds [DEEP pockets] and MoFi has Music Direct as their sugar daddy and D~V is an independent reissue company with NO SUCH BACKERS.

And then of course there's UMG which is sitting on a treasure trove of QUAD masters some of which have perished in various fires and other mishaps so we really don't know what is truly available of their remaining QUADs.
MoFi and AP, sadly, have poor overall track records when it comes to delivering on their promises. UMG, on the other hand, has committed a criminal offense to the world's music culture by allowing such an extensive and priceless treasure trove to even partially go up in flames.

MoFi and AP, sadly, have poor overall track records when it comes to delivering on their promises. UMG, on the other hand, has committed a criminal offense to the world's music culture by allowing such an extensive and priceless treasure trove to even partially go up in flames.

So ultimately, '86,' as we will always live in an imperfect world and 'we can't always get what we want,' we'll just have to settle for what we DO get and bite the bullet as doubtful in the reissue universe we will ever truly get those unreleased surround titles we've secretly coveted for going on 50 years or hopefully get newly remixed titles from A list artists who would much rather see their lovechildren have a 'way cool' vinyl release rather than a state of the art hi res multichannel remix 'squandered' upon a niche market!

How's that for a run on sentence ...........

Last edited:
So to sum up- SHIT SHOW X 4!
The way I see it, there are 3 kinds of Estates: there’s the kind where everyone bickers and, as a result, nothing gets released. Then there the ones like Hendrix where they dump everything on the market, including stuff that the deceased would have never let see the light of day. And finally, there’s Estates like the Beatles (actually, not fully an Estate because Paul and Ringo are still alive) where they are judicious and regarding what they let out of the vault.

Maybe @bmoura would have some ideas as to reasons for the delay on a release like this. You’d think any licensing or financing issues would have been resolved long ago. Could it be something like the Hendrix Family needing to approve some small design detail before they go into final production?

Maybe @bmoura would have some ideas as to reasons for the delay on a release like this. You’d think any licensing or financing issues would have been resolved long ago. Could it be something like the Hendrix Family needing to approve some small design detail before they go into final production?

JP, in another thread, Brian indicated that they wanted to 're~tweak' the Hendrix Are You Experienced SACD to ensure it sounded even better.......at least that was my understanding.

...........................and I've just had an email from amazon.com :(
1580511749656.png

😱😰😭

Wonder how much the over-long anticipation will account for the sound reviews? I expect it not to fare as well as the first one, sadly.

But then again, there are some fans of "edging." :eek:

JP, in another thread, Brian indicated that they wanted to 're~tweak' the Hendrix Are You Experienced SACD to ensure it sounded even better.......at least that was my understanding.

That is correct. They are working on improving the sound of the final release.
Once that has been done, and all the sign-offs are in, the production of the SACDs and LPs will proceed.

Back