Roger Waters 2020 North American tour

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The promo is all the songs on the album without any of the Jim Ladd and Billy voice overs so each song has the full lenght version so you hear each song the way it was originally recorded,
gives the album a much better flow. I assume the intent was to provide the radio stations with the ability to play any track as a single on the air and not have the talking which would not make sense on the radio to a person hearing one song for the first time. Kind of unique because that means there are or were to different master made for this album.

Waters said: "Between Ian Ritchie and myself, we really fucked that record up. We tried too hard to make it sound modern. I allowed myself to get pushed down roads that were uncomfortable for me. I should never have made that record." Waters regrets his decision to trim the album from a double to a single one, thus losing much of the concept.

I find this album music wise to be his best but I guess most people don't

I remember buying "Radio KAOS" on CD back in the day (used to Listen to Jim Ladd on KMET regularly)... I just coudn't get into it... I must have sold it back to Moby Disc (my local record store) for rent money when I was around 20 (my CD collection was constantly expanding and contracting in those days due to financial constraints, lol)

I'd love to hear an expanded, less "modern sounding" version in surround... I'm sure I'd find something to enjoy these days:)

Waters said: "Between Ian Ritchie and myself, we really fucked that record up. We tried too hard to make it sound modern. I allowed myself to get pushed down roads that were uncomfortable for me. I should never have made that record." Waters regrets his decision to trim the album from a double to a single one, thus losing much of the concept.

In large part that may well be the reason It seldom gets played live.

Bring on the double album re-issue Rog....

I never understand when someone says something does or doesn't sound modern.

Sole (Soul) has no eyes....

Gotta go, I like to be home with my monkey and my dog...

I still think side 1 of KAOS is the most psychedelic return to form Roger had in his solo career. The thing is you have to realize there's an extra long lead-in groove on the album. Side 1 actually starts about 1/2" in. If you put the needle at what normally looks like the start, you'll hear this disco sounding thing with Roger repeating "radio waves" over it. It will make you grab the needle off the album and turn off the turntable and you'll never hear the music that follows.

We should be sick of hearing Who Needs Information at his shows by now. I can't believe that track wasn't in heavy rotation this whole time!

Ahhhh Moby Disc my favorite record store used to drive there with friends to the valley and visit their original location on Victory Blvd I think. English import albums for $3.99 and used record bins with albums priced as low as 15 and 5 cents. Good rats for a nickel (still have it) promos and classical lps a japanese import of Taking Tiger Mountain lots of good stuff.
Jun1 1974....for sale in August the new Roxy Music lps and John Cale Fear. Great days for a music lover

Sorry to digress...

Ahhhh Moby Disc my favorite record store used to drive there with friends to the valley and visit their original location on Victory Blvd I think. English import albums for $3.99 and used record bins with albums priced as low as 15 and 5 cents. Good rats for a nickel (still have it) promos and classical lps a japanese import of Taking Tiger Mountain lots of good stuff.
Jun1 1974....for sale in August the new Roxy Music lps and John Cale Fear. Great days for a music lover

Sorry to digress...
I was a resident of Poo Bah records at the old location Walnut St. Pasadena.

ROGER WATERS - Any one looking for a PRESALE CODE for the upcoming USA TOUR - try the MLB.COM code DIAMOND - gets ya 2 days advance

Snood would love to go to the show in Orlando but best bud moved to Largo, Florida and he prob couldn't afford and other besty hates Pink Floyd (except Final Cut) 🤪

Man Oh Man gotta presale access and a ton of great seats left grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :whistle: :unsure: :whistle:

The classic rock FM station in Atlanta has been giving away seat during their morning quiz segment.
Today's question was: "Pink Floyd was credited with pioneering a new form of audio system - name it - First caller gets second row tickets to Roger Waters"

I couldn't get through on the phone lines but the guy who answered and the DJ had a short discussion on the greatness of quad and a regret that it didn't catch on.

Thanks Snoody! Just got front row in the 3rd deck. Should be great seats for this type of show! (with no one walking in front of me)
:)

I purchased tickets for the upcoming Rogers tour at the Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia. I dug in and discovered the on sale date of Friday, Jan 31 was not the only date. I discovered "Platinum" sales were on sale Wednesday. That is NOT only VIP packages but rather all seats. Pretty confusing as I called customer service the day before and they asked me how I found that on their web site...and I spoke to two different people in different departments. What was also weird is that neither of them knew what "Platinum" sales were! Both got back to me and got it right. There is also another ticket sales with promo code needed on Thursday, Jan 30 then the "regular" sales on Friday.
Now my question is, where in an oblong arena would YOU think the best seats are for Rogers show in the round. I have seen two shows in the round, Hendrix, Joplin, Soft Machine, Chambers Brothers (one show) and the Moody Blues.
I could have had floor seats for Roger but figured I wouldn't be able to take in all the views.

Now my question is, where in an oblong arena would YOU think the best seats are for Rogers show in the round. I have seen two shows in the round, Hendrix, Joplin, Soft Machine, Chambers Brothers (one show) and the Moody Blues.
I could have had floor seats for Roger but figured I wouldn't be able to take in all the views.

I'd think the best seats would be on the long sides, midway.

I agree with not favoring floor seats. At the last show floor seats would have meant a spectator would have to look up to see the visuals. Even then the view could be poor, especially if you were seated underneath it all.

Sorry to digress...
That's the one! And there was a Licorice Pizza a couple doors down. I remember paying top dollar at places like Moby Disc trying to put together a CD collection of Queen albums, which were only available as imports from Europe for the longest time. (Eventually Hollywood Records released them all on CD cheap, so while it was a big waste of money on my part, that feeling when you finally found the import CD you were searching for was soooo good :) )

agree 100% I'd say center ice/court in the stands, not the floor for an arena.
That's what I thought yesterday when I purchased tickets. I was able to choose the location and grabbed dead center, 13 rows up. I didn't even want to be in the first few rows or the floor. So after I paid for the two tix, I went back and bought two more in the 17th row same section.

Agree 1,000%!!! I saw that tour five nights. It was amazing. Easily the best band he ever took out on the road; they were tight and had a ton of energy. The production was incredible, second only to The Wall tour.

The photo below was taken on the opening night of the tour in Providence. I'm on the left. Neither he nor I had gray hair then. :p

View attachment 45611
I like the guy glowering in the background behind Roger. Interesting to note that most of the crowd from this show is in the photo...

So I am a huge Floyd fan and still a fan of Roger, although not bowled over by his last album release. His shows have always been a technical tour-de-force, even when he was losing money in order for them to be such. The Pros & Cons tour sold poorly, but he had three synchronized 35mm projectors in the back of the hall to project his show on the screens behind him. He (and possibly Nick) were the theatrical force behind the Pink Floyd shows of the 60s and 70s.

I am very curious, as others here have been, to see how (or if) he will attempt to do surround sound at these shows. I would think it would require a dozen or more rear speakers around the hall, and not necessarily stereo pairs. In fact, how does one even do front facing stereo in the round? Seems like the persons closest to each stack would essentially be getting a mono source. So I am frankly dubious about the sound.

Visually, it should be a simple matter to construct a central screen that wraps around the middle of the round stage facing outward. How the visuals are distributed would be a similar question to the sound. Will they be shown in zones? This will either be ill conceived or a technical breakthrough.

I saw Yes in the round in 1978 - 5th row - and I just remember not always having access to the performers as they rotated away from me. Something of a benefit for Steve Howe, I felt at the time.

Roger is, and really always has been, political. You can hear it in Corporal Clegg on the 2nd album. I wish he would play that song... I sympathize with those people who like some of his music but hate his politics. It would suck if I felt that way, since I love Pink Floyd. Fortunately it does not bother me. I feel that it is legitimate to include politics as part of artistic expression. Roger is certainly not alone in that regard. He risks - and has certainly succeeded in - alienating some of his audience. Much that is art pushes one boundary or another.

I will be attending the tour, but I will not be buying advanced tickets. Even though he is just following the modern trend of charging what the market will bear (horses for courses and the market forces), I find the ticket pricing to be obscene. There is a way in which I sympathize. You can't sell even a good CD for a nickel these days (I realize the hard spending QQers are an exception to that - myself included), and there was a whole scalping industry built on selling tickets for more than face value with zero benefit to the artist. That shit should have been illegal, but it wasn't, and that to me is the root of the gouging that we see today. It is basically artists, and even Ticketmaster, scalping their own tickets.

The ironic thing is that these same market forces now mean you can walk up to the venue at showtime and buy tickets for under face value. I have found this to be true PARTICULARLY at Roger Waters concerts, where I myself have eaten more than half of the value of a spare ticket in order to get something out of the $130 or more I spent on a spare ticket. So I will go the night of the show, pick up a ticket close to showtime from a professional scalper for under face value (yes, I have done it!), and see what rants Roger has to offer.

I'm waiting on tickets because of the experience I had with the last waters tour. I live near Buffalo NY, which is about 90 minutes from Toronto ON. I will go to either city to see a show, though Buffalo is easier. The last Waters tour was announced with a stop in Toronto. I bought 4 tix. A few months later a show was added for Buffalo. I liked the date and location better for the Buffalo show, so i bought 4 more tix for the Buffalo show with the idea that i would unload the Toronto tix on the secondary market as the show got closer. A few weeks later they announced a second show in Toronto. This made the original 4 tickets i purchased for Toronto nearly valueless. I couldn't even get 1/3 of face value for them on the online marketplaces. I ended up giving them away.

This time I will wait to buy tickets, either the way Fourplay described, on on the secondary market. Fool me once, shame on you... Fool me twice...

I'm waiting on tickets because of the experience I had with the last waters tour. I live near Buffalo NY, which is about 90 minutes from Toronto ON. I will go to either city to see a show, though Buffalo is easier. The last Waters tour was announced with a stop in Toronto. I bought 4 tix. A few months later a show was added for Buffalo. I liked the date and location better for the Buffalo show, so i bought 4 more tix for the Buffalo show with the idea that i would unload the Toronto tix on the secondary market as the show got closer. A few weeks later they announced a second show in Toronto. This made the original 4 tickets i purchased for Toronto nearly valueless. I couldn't even get 1/3 of face value for them on the online marketplaces. I ended up giving them away.

This time I will wait to buy tickets, either the way Fourplay described, on on the secondary market. Fool me once, shame on you... Fool me twice...
Scalpers hear the name Pink Floyd and they way overbuy tickets - far overestimating the value of Roger Waters tickets. At the very least I NEVER buy "extras" for Roger anymore.

Back