Quadraphonic FLAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to happen mostly with disk players and AVR's manufactured in the last 3-4 years. I read somewhere it has something to do with a certain chip that they all have in common. Older equipment uses a different chip that has no issue with 4.0. Who knows what's going to happen with the newer stuff. It just seems like the modern remedy is to not bother to change the function for that small minority who need to play a legacy format like 4.0, rather, have the content providers modify the number of channels. So newer releases have gone to a 6 channel audio format even though two of those channels might be empty for 4.0 material.

Which is nuts because it means stuff that used to fit on one disc may now need two. It also needlessly chews up hard disc space for people creating their own discs, but I guess the industry doesn't care.

Which is nuts because it means stuff that used to fit on one disc may now need two. It also needlessly chews up hard disc space for people creating their own discs, but I guess the industry doesn't care.
The audio industry has really never cared about legacy formats all that much. Why bother with 4.0? Why bother with DVD-A? Nothing is being released in those formats anymore and they don't feel obligated.

Back