SPOTLIGHT Miles Davis - Live / Evil 4.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bienvenido a casa del cuadrafonico, Señor GOSARARIO! try the malbec! stay for the creme de cacao! 😋🍷🍫🍹🤩👂🍌

(no idea what any of it means! 🤪 just went wjere the peaceful juices flow!! 🤣)
:sneaky: My hovercraft is full of eels, Señor GOSARARIO! try the malbec! stay for the creme de cacao!

It seems to reside mainly in the "silent" center channel. What I ended up doing is running it through Audacity

Does your system playback DSF 4.0? Id it does you could just remove the two silent channels with MMH, if not did you try refreshing silents in DSF with the new 'Refresh Silents'. That would stop the click (but won't fix the DR.

The incorrect DR is a bug in the way Foobar's DR analysis works on 'silent' channels on SACD rips.. DSF files ripped from SACD have some sort of very low level noise that is seen by the DR analysis and corrupts the calculation, hence removing silent channels from quad SACDs is the (only) fix we know. The click just added something else for Foobar to 'hear'. :)

Last edited:
After ripping the SACD discs to dsf, I discovered a small clicking sound at the beginning of each of the first songs on the discs (Sivad-disc 1) and (Selim-disc 2).
After converting to flac at 24-96-0 in Foobar2000 the click gets noticeably louder. It seems to reside mainly in the "silent" center channel. What I ended up doing is running it through Audacity, highlighting the first hundredth of a second and reducing the amplitude all the way down as far as I could. That seemed to get rid of it.

If anyone else has notice this and has a better way to handle it, please let me know.
Also is this a mastering mistake since it's the first track on each disc; or a ripping / conversion error?

This also throws the DR number way off on those tracks (those tracks to around 17 DR.) Using Garry's Music Media Helper I removed the center (for reading purposes) and the resulting DR's were:

View attachment 46079
View attachment 46080

Those DR numbers seem awfully low, JP. IMO, LIVE EVIL's Sound Quality is stunning for an early 70's recording!

Does your system playback DSF 4.0? Id it does you could just remove the two silent channels with MMH, if not did you try refreshing silents in DSF with the new 'Refresh Silents'. That would stop the click (but won't fix the DR.

The incorrect DR is a bug in the way Foobar's DR analysis works on 'silent' channels. DSF files ripped from SACD have a very low level noise that is seen by the DR analysis and corrupts the calculation, hence removing silent channels from quad SACDs is the (only) fix we know. The click just added something else for Foobar to 'hear'. :)
Yes I can playback dsf 4.0 (oppo 205 through analog to Marantz receiver)
I believe it is 5.0 with silent center on these. When I get a chance I'll try the new "Refresh Silents".

Still would like to know where the click is coming from; I've never seen it before on any of my rips.

Last edited:
Yes I can playback dsf 4.0 (oppo 205 through analog to Marantz receiver)
I believe it is 5.0 with silent center on these. When I get a chance I'll try the new "Refresh Silents".

Still would like to know where the click is coming from; I've never seen it before on any of my rips.
Here's something I found; I did have Padding-less dsf checked (which I normally don't do) so I'll re-rip with that off and see if it clears up.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ts-true/page/147/?tab=comments#comment-876581

My Live Evil just arrived today, shipped from CD Japan by AirMail. Usually it takes 7 days, this time it took 3 weeks, but the packaged arrived safely.
Listening to it now, sounds superb. It is simply amazing how fantastic the SACD format is for quad releases.
Before the arrival I pulled out my Japanese SOPJ 88/89 Live Evil SQ edition in order to have a fresh reference point. As usual, the SACD is just in another league. The clarity and separation are impressive.
Here are the two, pictured next to each other.

IMG_1172.jpg
IMG_1186.jpg
IMG_1177.jpg

Last edited:
My Live Evil just arrived today, shipped from CD Japan by AirMail. Usually it takes 7 days, this time it took 3 weeks, but the packaged arrived safely.
Listening to it now, sounds superb. It is simply amazing how much fantastic the SACD format is for quad releases.
Before the arrival I pulled out my Japanese SOPJ 88/89 Live Evil SQ edition in order to have a fresh reference point. As usual, the SACD is just another league. The clarity and separation are impressive.
Here are the two, pictured next to each other.

View attachment 46094View attachment 46097View attachment 46096

Awesome comparison, thanks! It looks like the colors POP much more on the vinyl cover?

Last edited:
Awesome comparison, thanks! It looks like the colors POP much more on the only vinyl cover?
The colors are really stunning on the 7” package; it has a sort of metal flake sheen to some of the brighter colors. I noticed that my scanner didn’t really pick up on that, and perhaps photo’s don’t either.

By the way, it seems to me that this SACD is authored as 5.0 not 5.1 since the software glitch in my Marantz SACD player allows me to flip the rear channels. Did anyone here rip it and could confirm it?

By the way, it seems to me that this SACD is authored as 5.0 not 5.1 since the software glitch in my Marantz SACD player allows me to flip the rear channels. Did anyone here rip it and could confirm it?
Yes, that’s what I see 5.0 with a silent center; but read my prior posts #240 & #246. Not confirmed yet, but if you rip it don’t use the setting “Padding-less dsf” (may be ok to rip with an Oppo, but not a Sony machine using that setting.)

Q
I avoid it completely by just putting the discs in a normal double-CD jewel case. There's no need to go through the whole process of trying to get the discs out of the packaging when all you want is to play the discs (I've done this with "Bitches Brew", "Lotus", and "Yessongs" with the packages on display on my shelves for the artwork).
Your 1st post ?
Welcome to the QQ forum !

Well, my local post office tells me that the plane that crashed was carrying Fed Ex packages, not USPS--and that the postal customs facility in LA often gets backlogged. So I guess I just have to wait a few days. In the meantime, I'll rely on Ralph to tell me what I'm missing!

Woo-hoo! After languishing in the postal customs office in LA for nearly two weeks, my copy of Live-Evil has finally been freed to make the trip upstate to my neck of the woods. Expecting delivery today or tomorrow.

[Edit: Later that same day...]

IMG_20200213_170536239.jpg

Last edited:
Back