Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definitely i'd recommend you pick up the EW&F, for me its the absolute must-own disc of the latest set of releases.

beyond that, given your preferences, the O'Jays has some grittier tracks you may appreciate, mostly on the "Survival" album, 1 or 2 have a pretty hard edge ("Give The People What They Want", "Survival", "Rich Get Richer", "What Am I Waiting For" and maybe "Unity" i think you might enjoy.

the Harold Melvin and Miracles albums are kinda smoother, with some disco inflections that are also on the EW&F and O'Jays but less so.

its tough to be objective because i love all the artists and albums but based on what i think you might like from your posting i'd say the two discs i'd give a try at this time would be the EW&F and O'Jays and see how you go 🙂

Adam, to refresh our memory, what remaining QUAD PIR titles would be rife for future D~V SACD transfers?

MFSB - Love is the message
O' Jays - Live In London
O' Jays - Message In The Music

I smell a O' Jays next...

yeah.. unless there's any unreleased in the vault (Lou Rawls?) that's yer lot! 😉

i think a potential 2-fer of the remaining O'Jays Quads would require a 2 disc set due to original album lengths.. maybe DV could do a 3-fer spread across the 2 discs and bung Ship Ahoy in there with LIL & MITM, for all those who don't have the rare old Sony Ship Ahoy SACD.. 🤔

yeah.. unless there's any unreleased in the vault (Lou Rawls?) that's yer lot! 😉

i think a potential 2-fer of the remaining O'Jays Quads would require a 2 disc set due to original album lengths.. maybe DV could do a 3-fer spread across the 2 discs and bung Ship Ahoy in there with LIL & MITM, for all those who don't have the rare old Sony Ship Ahoy SACD.. 🤔

Great idea, Adam. Missed out on Ship Ahoy [my BAD]. Actually, since the original SONY SACD was remastered from the original QUAD masters for 5.1, the original strictly QUAD SACD is long overdue [SA SACD is now going NEW on Amazon for $400].

Great idea, Adam. Missed out on Ship Ahoy [my BAD]. Actually, since the original SONY SACD was remastered from the original QUAD masters for 5.1, the original strictly QUAD SACD is long overdue [SA SACD is now going NEW on Amazon for $400].

so sorry you missed out on it Ralph.. its definitely one of the highlights of Sony's all too brief flirtation with mining their vaults for Quad treasures back in the early noughties.

O'Jays - Message In The Music

I'd gladly spring for even a single disc of this one - both the SQ LP and Q8 are really hard to find (I think this was the last PIR quad release?). The music and quad mix are just as good if not even better (somehow) than Survival and Family Reunion.

Last edited:
One I just recently thought of and is a no-brainer for a Two-fer..... How about The Ohio Players Honey & Fire?
(Or is that under the Universal umbrella now and not allowed to be loaned out? We know the Masters exist!)

In regards to the O'Jays and at risk of sounding like a broken record: I hope and pray "Backstabbers" was done. Then we could have two more O'Jays two-fers from D-V and get, what I consider to be the mother of all unreleased Quads out to the world.

Would love for D~V to release all those former CD~4 Arista QUADS now under the SONY banner:

ARISTA QUADRAPHONIC LP CHECKLIST

NUMBER
TITLE
NOTES
RELEASED
DELETED
AQ-4001
Godspell - Original Broadway Cast
1975​
1977​
AQ-4016
Barry Manilow - Barry Manilow II
1975​
1977​
AQ-4031
Melissa Manchester - Melissa
1975​
1977​
AQ-4045
Tony Orlando & Dawn - Greatest Hits
1975​
1977​
AQ-4057
Eric Carmen - Eric Carmen
1975​
1977​
AQ-4060
Barry Manilow - Tryin' to Get the Feeling
1975​
1977​
AQ-4061
Brecker Brothers - Back to Back
Gatefold​
1975​
1977​
AQ-4067
Melissa Manchester - Better Days & Happy Endings
1975​
1977​
AQ-4070
Outlaws - Lady in Waiting
Gatefold​
1976​
1977​
AQ-4090
Barry Manilow - This One's For You
No Q8​
1976​
1977​
AQ-9004
Funny Lady - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
1975​
1977​

All of the above released albums are in the CD-4 format, and all were released on Q8 tape except 4090​

Are there any CTI’s left to be done?

Some great CTI's and Kudu's hopefully soon to be released. I love these two albums. They feature great mixes and solid musicianship. To have these on Quad SACD would be truly amazing. The Grover Washington, Jr. album is a double album so it could be a stand alone title. The Stanley Turrentine could be paired with a Stereo album like Salt Song or Sugar Man. All great albums from the period.

Stanley Turrentine ‎– Don't Mess With Mister T.

R-2868373-1304801105.jpeg.jpg

Grover Washington, Jr. ‎– Soul Box

R-8289020-1515733573-3813.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Would love for D~V to release all those former CD~4 Arista QUADS now under the SONY banner:

ARISTA QUADRAPHONIC LP CHECKLIST

NUMBER
TITLE
NOTES
RELEASED
DELETED
AQ-4001
Godspell - Original Broadway Cast
1975​
1977​
AQ-4016
Barry Manilow - Barry Manilow II
1975​
1977​
AQ-4031
Melissa Manchester - Melissa
1975​
1977​
AQ-4045
Tony Orlando & Dawn - Greatest Hits
1975​
1977​
AQ-4057
Eric Carmen - Eric Carmen
1975​
1977​
AQ-4060
Barry Manilow - Tryin' to Get the Feeling
1975​
1977​
AQ-4061
Brecker Brothers - Back to Back
Gatefold​
1975​
1977​
AQ-4067
Melissa Manchester - Better Days & Happy Endings
1975​
1977​
AQ-4070
Outlaws - Lady in Waiting
Gatefold​
1976​
1977​
AQ-4090
Barry Manilow - This One's For You
No Q8​
1976​
1977​
AQ-9004
Funny Lady - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
1975​
1977​

All of the above released albums are in the CD-4 format, and all were released on Q8 tape except 4090​
I didn’t realize that there were so many Barry Manilow quads. Can you imagine if Moneypenny had all of them...Now, if The Living Daylights had gone like this:

Moneypenny: I didn’t realize you were such a music lover, James. Anytime you want to drop by and listen to my quadraphonic Barry Manilow collection...

Bond: Quadraphonic? QUADRAPHONIC!!! You never told me it was quadraphonic!!! The heck with M. Let’s go over to your place right now!

The mind boggles at what they can give us next. Since they're dipping their toe in the Capitol Vault, could that mean some solo Beatles on the horizon?

Paul - Band on the Run and Venus & Mars
John - Imagine and Walls & Bridges?
Ringo - Unreleased Ringo and Goodnight Vienna?

Other than we just had the Imagine Boxed set not that long ago, the Macca stuff hasn't seen the shelves in over 20 years and Ringo never has. Does Capitol still hold rights to these albums?

Would love to see if Blue Swede / Hooked on a Feeling was real or not.

More O'Jays would be terrific. If Backstabbers was done and gets a debut here, you all will probably hear the loudest expletive ever followed by a small explosion. That would be me, having exploded.

Ohio Players, Bachman-Turner Overdrive (though that might be a bit Heavy for D-V, I'd still be OK with it). Mountain had two Quads: Best of and Avalanche, heck, I'd be ok with some Kris Kristofferson or some Mac Davis. Maybe even a Ray Stevens two-fer.

Still holding out for some Waylon or Dolly.

Michael Nesmith two-fer would be bloody amazing.

Two words: David Essex.

If the masters could be located, I'd even be down for some Roy Clark or Donna Fargo. Believe it or don't: those Dot Quad mixes are actually quite nice. If you like the ABC mixes, you'll LOVE the Dot stuff.

What worries me though is that we're starting to get down to the crunch. We've almost exhausted the number of decent, popular (and by that I mean, "marketable") Quad properties. I really don't think too many folks are going to jump on Jim Nabors, Tammy Wynnette or Ray Price. Unless of course, some muscle can be flexed and get into the likes of Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Paul Simon, Janis Joplin, Aerosmith. My hope is that this is sort of what D-V has been working towards because looks at some of the more recent releases, they've gone from Ray Coniff and Doc Severinsen to some big hitters like The Raiders, The O'Jays, The Guess Who. I can't be the only one thinking that somebody is trying to prove a point that there IS a market for this sort of thing.

The mind boggles at what they can give us next. Since they're dipping their toe in the Capitol Vault, could that mean some solo Beatles on the horizon?

Other than we just had the Imagine Boxed set not that long ago, the Macca stuff hasn't seen the shelves in over 20 years and Ringo never has. Does Capitol still hold rights to these albums?

More O'Jays would be terrific. If Backstabbers was done and gets a debut here, you all will probably hear the loudest expletive ever followed by a small explosion. That would be me, having exploded.

Ohio Players, Bachman-Turner Overdrive (though that might be a bit Heavy for D-V, I'd still be OK with it). Mountain had two Quads: Best of and Avalanche, heck, I'd be ok with some Kris Kristofferson or some Mac Davis. Maybe even a Ray Stevens two-fer.

If the masters could be located, I'd even be down for some Roy Clark or Donna Fargo. Believe it or don't: those Dot Quad mixes are actually quite nice. If you like the ABC mixes, you'll LOVE the Dot stuff.

What worries me though is that we're starting to get down to the crunch. We've almost exhausted the number of decent, popular (and by that I mean, "marketable") Quad properties. I really don't think too many folks are going to jump on Jim Nabors, Tammy Wynnette or Ray Price. Unless of course, some muscle can be flexed and get into the likes of Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Paul Simon, Janis Joplin, Aerosmith. My hope is that this is sort of what D-V has been working towards because looks at some of the more recent releases, they've gone from Ray Coniff and Doc Severinsen to some big hitters like The Raiders, The O'Jays, The Guess Who. I can't be the only one thinking that somebody is trying to prove a point that there IS a market for this sort of thing.

Would REALLY love to be that proverbial 'fly on the wall' and peruse the AVAILABILITY lists provided by SONY [and their associated labels] and UMG and lest we forget, they haven't even approached those unreleased ARISTA QUADS now under the Sony banner.

And even more enticing ....... are D~V in contracts or even talks with OTHER LABELS?

As far as I'm concerned, D~V's track record in releasing what has already been released in such IMPECCABLE quality and on such a timely basis should really send a loud and clear message to all those corporate types on the fence as to what to do with their unreleased QUAD masters.

As far as the solo Beatles material.........DTS Entertainment did give us Band on the Run and Venus and Mars from Paul but that was in the late 90's. My guess is that all future Beatles material will be handled jointly by UMG/Apple Corps or by their respective estates....in the case of John and George. Yoko was after all instrumental in getting IMAGINE remixed and released.

Last edited:

I want Walls and Bridges real bad!

JOY

https://www.discogs.com/Isaac-Hayes-Joy/release/786039

mmm 😋 just love the Hot Buttered production on this ... the smooth driving bass ... the amazing drumming - almost sounds like Purdie ... a soul jamming shuffle ... the airy strings and the funky wah wah guitar 🎸- you can almost smell the Quad in the air ... er uh sound in scrumptious surround:cool:

Last edited:
I want Walls and Bridges real bad!
I want a two-fer if Walls and Bridges & Venus and Mars, how’s that for a double feature.

But I’d settle for the Ringo and with John’s final Apple effort both in 4.0. I’ve not heard the Q8 of that Lennon album - is it a rather good mix in quad?

Back