What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got digital conversations of the omega albums but they sound software decoded so it was interesting to listen to the difference of the actual lp through my decoder. Ahmad Jamal album has excellent sound quality and is a great performance(montreux jazz fest. Live 1972) mix is similar to other live recordings on impulse with applause from rear has really long bass solo, highly recommend if you find a nice copy.

Sampler has explanation in german of quad sound and ad for Toshiba quad gear (receiver,speakers,headphones etc.) which occupies entire inner gatefold, jazz from Fantasy label on side 1 and Bacillus on side 2. Dzyan track was main reason for buying as I haven't found an acceptable deal on Time Machine yet, also waiting for Taiwanese or Yugoslav press of Remember The Future. Sonny Fortune disc is rear dominant, best track is last song on side 2, has cool effects of moog in rear speakers.

You are getting some choice finds there great hunting. I like that Omega Lp Omega III is also quad and I have the DBX Planets. That was a great format too bad it could not be revived.

After the end of DBX discs in the 1980's, was there ever an attempt to revive the format?

With so many new music and reissue vinyl records being produced today, there could potentially be a market for DBX Discs. A stand-alone decoder could be made to add into a system just like originally. But, that being said, the market of people who might actually spring for modern DBX Discs and decoders would be niche.

Wish someone had attempted to revive it. Only a small private label could do it now but as you say it would be a minuscule market

Sampler has explanation in german of quad sound and ad for Toshiba quad gear (receiver,speakers,headphones etc.) which occupies entire inner gatefold, jazz from Fantasy label on side 1 and Bacillus on side 2. Dzyan track was main reason for buying as I haven't found an acceptable deal on Time Machine yet, also waiting for Taiwanese or Yugoslav press of Remember The Future. Sonny Fortune disc is rear dominant, best track is last song on side 2, has cool effects of moog in rear speakers.

So I'm guessing that Toshiba lp does not state what matrix it's in ?

FWIW Toshiba had a type of Regular matrix designated "QM" , but they also had a small number of SQ albums . This is kinda why I'm curious .
But if it does not state which matrix..........oh well.

It is most definitely a great collector's item , regardless. :)

OK going back to Dzyan. I have the Time Machine vinyl not Electric Silence......which has a much cooler cover. I believe they were single inventory SQ.
I also have a cd with both albums on. It does not look like a bootleg it is a sliver cd. But there is no label name just a number ACD/OSA 941150. The cover insert is just photos of both albums front and back.
The inner insert has a photo and on the far left it says Zwei Vollstandige Alben. German of course.
So look for that cd.......

Toshiba sampler is SQ, has small Bellaphon german SQ logo on back in corner. German seller ended up giving me a full refund and sent it to me anyway because the disc was not nm as described but it still fine for me just a few pops.
20200120_161827.jpg
Just received a copy of George Benson Body Talk SQ, disc is very lightweight but has good sound quality, I've never been able to hear the difference of thick vs. thin vynil.
20200120_161850.jpg

Sun Ra Space Is The Place
20200129_105149.jpg

The best Sun Ra quad mix in my opinion, maybe they used a better encoder?

Miles Davis Bitches Brew (japan)
20200127_175019.jpg

Wanted to get one with obi but the price difference was too great. I noticed that some copies say "DP Master Sound" (the earlier quad release I suspect) this one is the 1974 release, both say sx-68ii, does the dp version sound better?

Various Onda Juvenil (mexico)
20200203_121852.jpg

Cool album cover, one of these sold for almost $90 at auction, yet I found another one for $12. Not sure if this is actually quad, has CBS and sq logo on front and rear of cover, mix sounds mostly ambient reverb, occasional voices in rear but good music.

View attachment 46038

I wonder if they'll ever release his many withheld QS recordings ? The ones mixed/encoded by Ed Michel and Baker Bigsby that for some reason were not issued by ABC Records.

View attachment 46039
Wanted to get one with obi but the price difference was too great. I noticed that some copies say "DP Master Sound" (the earlier quad release I suspect) this one is the 1974 release, both say sx-68ii, does the dp version sound better?

I don't think it matters as long as it's a good Japanese pressing , and I've yet to read about a bad Sony SQ vinyl lp.

View attachment 46040
Cool album cover, one of these sold for almost $90 at auction, yet I found another one for $12. Not sure if this is actually quad, has CBS and sq logo on front and rear of cover, mix sounds mostly ambient reverb, occasional voices in rear but good music.

You surely come across the strange and eclectic quads . :)

View attachment 46038

View attachment 46039

View attachment 46040
Deja Vu - I saw Various Onda Juvenil (mexico) in a nightmare last week...

So I'm guessing that Toshiba lp does not state what matrix it's in ?

FWIW Toshiba had a type of Regular matrix designated "QM" , but they also had a small number of SQ albums . This is kinda why I'm curious .
But if it does not state which matrix..........oh well.

It is most definitely a great collector's item , regardless. :)
In Japan, Toshiba released albums mostly in RM (QS), but there were also some released in SQ, and a few others in CD-4. The "QM" designation was used on earlier QS albums. If there's no mention of which matrix it's in, chances are it's stereo.

On the Toshiba label there is an album called Dynamic Latin Exotic Sound by Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffalo. A youtube post of it shows an OBI that says 4 Channel QM Sound, but the cover says Stereo. There is an SHM reissue that doesn't seem to mention 4Channel or QM, is it likely the encoding is intact on this? Also I wonder if there are any other Count Buffalo/Akira Ishikawa records in quad?

On the Toshiba label there is an album called Dynamic Latin Exotic Sound by Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffalo. A youtube post of it shows an OBI that says 4 Channel QM Sound, but the cover says Stereo. There is an SHM reissue that doesn't seem to mention 4Channel or QM, is it likely the encoding is intact on this? Also I wonder if there are any other Count Buffalo/Akira Ishikawa records in quad?
If the obi says so, it is. That record is, indeed, RM (QS).

There are a few Count Buffalo RM type discs fwiw . I suggest checking out the surround discographies Japanese quad titles.
In Japan, Toshiba released albums mostly in RM (QS), but there were also some released in SQ, and a few others in CD-4. The "QM" designation was used on earlier QS albums. If there's no mention of which matrix it's in, chances are it's stereo.

Fwiw Toshiba had it's own matrice with QM .
And yes it is a compatible Regular Matrix that will work with QS decoders.

Check out this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...uad-reels-lps-info-history.24945/#post-372994

Back