HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please rate the SACD of Emerson, Lake and Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
I didn't describe it as a "loss of energy" actually. I just said it can and often does sound different. Some might consider the difference(s) better. and some not.
I'm with ssully on this one. I have converted many a DSD file to PCM. At first, I tried hard to detect differences across the first dozen conversions or so. I could never tell the DSD from the PCM. They always sounded identical. I have to assume that any differences you might hear is in the mastering or in the playback equipment.

Why not assume 'placebo' (expectation bias)? It's equally as likely as those, if not more.

As I've said before, unless the EQ is actually different in the mixes themselves (as with BSS!), the only equipment-based audible differences that stands a decent chance of existing are between PCM vs DSD LFE level adjustment and bass management.

I'm with ssully on this one. I have converted many a DSD file to PCM. At first, I tried hard to detect differences across the first dozen conversions or so. I could never tell the DSD from the PCM. They always sounded identical. I have to assume that any differences you might hear is in the mastering or in the playback equipment.
Well there are high end DACs that convert everything to DSD as their selling point. They claim to sound better, and have their fans. I’m not one of them, but they do exist.

So there are folks who spend big bucks to disagree. So it might be playback equipment- in this case the DAC.

Well there are high end DACs that convert everything to DSD as their selling point. They claim to sound better, and have their fans. I’m not one of them, but they do exist.
IMO is that such claims are just silly. If the upsampled DSD stream really sounds different than the original PCM stream, it could only be degraded, not improved. The original PCM is and remains the gold standard of that recording session.
Now if the original recording was done in DSD, the claims of improved SQ over a PCM recording done in tandem, might have enough possibility to do bias controlled listening tests and measurements. Personally I don't believe that DSD is superior in any way, but that just my opinion.

IMO is that such claims are just silly. If the upsampled DSD stream really sounds different than the original PCM stream, it could only be degraded, not improved. The original PCM is and remains the gold standard of that recording session.
Now if the original recording was done in DSD, the claims of improved SQ over a PCM recording done in tandem, might have enough possibility to do bias controlled listening tests and measurements. Personally I don't believe that DSD is superior in any way, but that just my opinion.
I also do not think a DSD copy could be better. I do not think DSD is as high resolution, and sure as hell is not as easy to play on most equipment. But the DACs exist that do this conversion in the name of smoother more analogue like sound quality. I was only mentioning what was on the market and that DSD has it's fans.

100% this.
An identical master in both formats sounds identical with the same quality DA converters. You can even transcode them back and forth 100 times and they will still null. Mind your level matching when you A/B! Let one copy vary by 0.5db vs the other and the louder one always sounds better.

I think I already said it, but "Still... You Turn Me on" is a stunning demo piece on the DVD-A. Just love the higher resolution LPCM quality. The mix is wonderful and the sound is thick, rich, and master tape "thereness". And so is the stereo mix actually. That and "From the Beginning" are my two fave ELP tracks.

That DVD-A was going for north of $150 at one time. That is until these discs became Explored, Decrypted, Ripped and Extracted!!!

I think I already said it, but "Still... You Turn Me on" is a stunning demo piece on the DVD-A. Just love the higher resolution LPCM quality. The mix is wonderful and the sound is thick, rich, and master tape "thereness". And so is the stereo mix actually. That and "From the Beginning" are my two fave ELP tracks.

That DVD-A was going for north of $150 at one time. That is until these discs became Explored, Decrypted, Ripped and Extracted!!!
What does the Rhino DVD-A go for these days?

What does the Rhino DVD-A go for these days?
It's a realistic $45 to $55, and lower if inserts have any wear or damage. It's not just the ripping / burning that is a reality, but it got a SACD reissue, that helps bring down prices somewhat as well.

Back