SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bernstein Boston recording of the Liszt "Faust" Symphony was recorded 8-track on one-inch tape in a quad configuration in August, 1976 in Symphony Hall after a performance at Tanglewood the Sunday before. I was the producer and I edited the 8-track originals in Boston shortly after the recording. However, I left the company shortly after that, and the edited 8-track originals were sent back to Hannover where Günter Hermanns mixed them straight to stereo for LP release. I do not believe that a 4-track quad mix was ever done.

The reference to "a Thomas Mowrey active quad mix" above may be to the Berlioz "Damnation of Faust", which is a very dynamic, 360-degree quad mix that I made myself. At some point someone at DG made an anodyne stereo remix of that recording, which is what DG has in its catalogue now. However, my original dynamic mix was released as a Hybrid SA-CD in quad and stereo by Pentatone and is available on Amazon.
I have your Damnation of Faust on SACD, which is gangbusters. No confusion though - I was assuming/hoping you did the Bernstein Faust Symphony recording into quad as well.

By the way, did you see the box set DGG issued - their complete recordings with the BSO? BOSTON ORCHESTRA Complete DG Rec. - 57 CDs - Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft Looking at the list, any thoughts on anything else we should push for? I know you've mentioned the 1812 Overture with the Pops, which doesn't seem to be in the box.

I have your Damnation of Faust on SACD, which is gangbusters. No confusion though - I was assuming/hoping you did the Bernstein Faust Symphony recording into quad as well.

By the way, did you see the box set DGG issued - their complete recordings with the BSO? BOSTON ORCHESTRA Complete DG Rec. - 57 CDs - Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft Looking at the list, any thoughts on anything else we should push for? I know you've mentioned the 1812 Overture with the Pops, which doesn't seem to be in the box.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the dynamic Damnation recording. I sweated bullets over that one. I wrote a program note for the DG/BSO box. It starts on page 10 of the attached, semifinal (some captions missing) version of the booklet that is enclosed with the box. The 1812 Overture isn't in the box because, in spite of my entreaties, DG wanted to confine this release to BSO recordings, excluding all Pops. It is part of the Arthur Fiedler Legacy series, though, on a 2-CD package called "Symphonic Spectacular", https://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Sp...e+arthur+fiedler+legacy&qid=1582431575&sr=8-1
Unfortunately, stereo only, but still very exciting.

Attachments

• Boston Symphony - DG Booklet Semifinal.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 871
E562122A-D1F4-4115-B68A-D43752787DB8.jpeg

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto, Clarinet Quintet, Abendempfindung, An Chloe

Dirk Altmann (clarinet)
Masato Suzuki (piano)
Ludwig Chamber Players
Members of the SWR Symphonie Orchester

And what should arrive in today's mail. Another LUTE Recommendation [albeit, with caveats]. I shall spin it tonight while trying to get my thousands of disparate discs onto their respective shelves....methodically arranged by category!

image.jpeg

Brett, who KNEW that "Furty" was such an unabashed ROMANTICIST? Simply Lovely. My Cat's IN AWE! 🐱

Brett, who KNEW that "Furty" was such an unabashed ROMANTICIST? Simply Lovely. My Cat's IN AWE! 🐱
It’s pretty good, isn’t it! It’s a shame he didn’t release it. But like another Romanticist, Brahms, I guess Furty was just too self critical. Anyway, glad your cat likes it, too! 😻

It’s pretty good, isn’t it! It’s a shame he didn’t release it. But like another Romanticist, Brahms, I guess Furty was just too self critical. Anyway, glad your cat likes it, too! 😻

And to be honest, Brett, Tacet's approach to Classical multi~ch recording is second to none. That they almost stand alone in pursuing discrete use of the surrounds is commendable.

Makes one appreciate those RCA/Columbia discrete 70's QUADS.

What I even kept stressing at the old SA~CD.net: We're not in a concert hall ... we're in our homes surrounded by speakers and all most modern Classical labels can conjure up is AMBIENCE. IMO, this would be their chance to expand the confines of the concert hall and expand the soundstage immeasurably...without being gimmicky!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the dynamic Damnation recording. I sweated bullets over that one. I wrote a program note for the DG/BSO box. It starts on page 10 of the attached, semifinal (some captions missing) version of the booklet that is enclosed with the box. The 1812 Overture isn't in the box because, in spite of my entreaties, DG wanted to confine this release to BSO recordings, excluding all Pops. It is part of the Arthur Fiedler Legacy series, though, on a 2-CD package called "Symphonic Spectacular", https://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Sp...e+arthur+fiedler+legacy&qid=1582431575&sr=8-1
Yup, I've streamed that album via Amazon. Great stuff.

I noticed the Kubelik recording of Ma Vlast is discussed in your note - would that be worth bringing out? The Beethoven 5th and Bartok Concerto for Orchestra were both released on Pentatone SACD and were both good, although I don't recall either one being super discrete (Pentatone also transferred the Concerto for Orchestra at too low of a level, but that's another story).

Likewise the recordings with MTT - we got the Rite of Spring and Le Roi, but I don't know if the Tchaikovsky, Debussy, and American composers are worth issuing in surround?

Even though I'm not a fan of buying RBCDs in 2020, I took Thomas Mowrey's advice and ordered the Arthur Fiedler DGG "Symphonic Spectacular' 2 disc set for a paltry $1.99 + s/h [VERY GOOD condition].

Amazingly, some Amazon rip off artists were charging upward of $88 for this two disc set.

And to be honest, Brett, Tacet's approach to Classical multi~ch recording is second to none. That they almost stand alone in pursuing discrete use of the surrounds is commendable.

Makes one appreciate those RCA/Columbia discrete 70's QUADS.

What I even kept stressing at the old SA~CD.net: We're not in a concert hall ... we're in our homes surrounded by speakers and all most modern Classical labels can conjure up is AMBIENCE. IMO, this would be their chance to expand the confines of the concert hall and expand the soundstage immeasurably...without being gimmicky!
Ralphie, I hear ya! In fact, I was right there with you pressing the case for more classical recordings to be made with discrete surround mixes over on that website. :LOL: Then as now I am astonished by these concert hall purists who want to limit surround recordings to a front soundstage with barely audible, ambient rears. If a front soundstage is all they want, why don’t they buy 2 super-duper, incredibly expensive speakers and just stick with 2-ch stereo!!? It would be a lot simpler and they would basically get they same effect.

But as you say, TACET has truly been doing a tremendous job with their discrete surround recordings. I give them all the support I can. Perhaps not every performance is worthy of a Record of the Month award, but neither is any other record label’s!! I am so tired of mediocre performances on ambient surround recordings and also on RBCDs. Yet, concert hall purists have no problem with eating that crap up again and again...all the while disparaging discrete surround recordings.

Music is not a 2-dimensional oil painting on a square, flat canvas. Music is 3-dimensional. So, let's blow out the cobwebs and open our ears & minds to the sounds all around us! 🥰

Last edited:
Oh. My. 'Till this conversation I did not know of TACET. Could anyone give a few titles that are real standouts for their method, performance, and recording quality?
Also, for the Bluray and DVD-A disks, do they allow 'headless' operation (where you do not need to have the video menus on at all, just hit enter a cupla times? The reason is that my system only has a front projector and the fan noise is unacceptable for quality audio listening). The Steven Wilson Yes multichannel remasters allow headless operation.

Oh. My. 'Till this conversation I did not know of TACET. Could anyone give a few titles that are real standouts for their method, performance, and recording quality?
Also, for the Bluray and DVD-A disks, do they allow 'headless' operation (where you do not need to have the video menus on at all, just hit enter a cupla times? The reason is that my system only has a front projector and the fan noise is unacceptable for quality audio listening). The Steven Wilson Yes multichannel remasters allow headless operation.
The recordings with the Auryn quartet tend to be quite good, and they tend to be good with Chamber Music generally (they did the Beethoven quartets on 4 DVD-As, among many other recordings). Their Beethoven symphony cycle is solid too on blu-ray, but I'm much more equivocal about their other orchestral recordings.

It looks like over half of the Ozawa/BSO recordings have already been issued. As far as I can tell this is what's still unreleased in quad:

Ravel: Bolero, Alborada del gracioso, Pavane pour une infante défunte, La Valse, Rapsodie espagnole, and the complete Daphnis et Chloé
De Falla: El sombrero de tres picos with Teresa Berganza
Rostropovich doing the Glazunov Chant du ménestrel and Shostakovich 2nd 'cello Concerto
Berlioz: Roméo et Juliette
Ives: Symphony No. 4

Also, it's a damn shame DG didn't include the Hindemith/Steinberg as bonus tracks on The Planets / Also Sprach. Amazingly, there's only one surround version of the Mathis der Maler available - HRAudio.net - Hindemith: Nobilissima Visione, Mathis de Maler, Metamorphosen - Neschling. There's somehow more versions available of the Konzermusik: HRAudio.net - Recordings

It looks like over half of the Ozawa/BSO recordings have already been issued. As far as I can tell this is what's still unreleased in quad:

Ravel: Bolero, Alborada del gracioso, Pavane pour une infante défunte, La Valse, Rapsodie espagnole, and the complete Daphnis et Chloé
De Falla: El sombrero de tres picos with Teresa Berganza
Rostropovich doing the Glazunov Chant du ménestrel and Shostakovich 2nd 'cello Concerto
Berlioz: Roméo et Juliette
Ives: Symphony No. 4

I would enthusiastically shell out for any and all of those, but especially for the Ives, the Rostropovich, and the Ravel. Do we know whether DG have any intention of continuing their reissue program?

I continue to try to like classical. It's a tough sell for me really. I guess, those few discs that are truly discreet, those are the ones I try to get into.

BUT......I love this thread. I really do. I feel like the naughty boy who keeps peeping in the windows of my neighbor's house. Fascinating!! Keep the chatter up, I enjoy it. :hi

I continue to try to like classical. It's a tough sell for me really. I guess, those few discs that are truly discreet, those are the ones I try to get into.

BUT......I love this thread. I really do. I feel like the naughty boy who keeps peeping in the windows of my neighbor's house. Fascinating!! Keep the chatter up, I enjoy it. :hi

There's been a flurry of activity these past few days, for sure--exhilarating. But it's especially exciting when a legend like @Thomas Mowrey drops by (and drops some wisdom!).

I do like to buy some classical music and think a discrete mix helps focus my attention on the arrangement musical & physical, so I prefer the music to surround me or horseshoe around me as if I was in the conductors position. I tend to like classical music from 1830-50 onwards can't explain why though, Handel & Bach being the exceptions. I was brought up with classical music, jazz, Sinatra, Oscar Peterson, Ella Fitzgerald, and lots of Big Bands emanating from my (very musically gifted) father's stereo, plus I was taught to recognise music that was well done even if I don't personally like it - my father's memorable comment on Hawkwind's "In Search Of Space" was I see why you like it, but its not for me!

Classical was most definitely NOT in my house, not in my grandparents house. Probably that's why it's a battle for me. My parents were more into Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams, Bachrach, Campbell, Denver. Grandparents were more into Fiedler type stuff.

Back