How many of you can play MC flac files directly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac versus Marantz
I'm havin a flashback man!

And even with all those connectors and real estate there STILL is not enough connectivity.:oops:;)

Kal don't forget to update us on your switchbox.

the RCA line-out /monitor option on an HDMI equipped AVR is a nice thing to have. I get by with 5.1 speaker level to line level converter harness.

I am looking at an alternative now but will get back to it.
I'm interested to know what you come up with Kal; also how do you like your 8805 AVR, any trouble passing 4.0 (etc.) through it?
I may be in the market for a new AVR in the next year or so, but doubtful I'll spend $8k+ for a McIntosh.
Currently have a Marantz AVR-8500 with no HMDI.

I'm interested to know what you come up with Kal; also how do you like your 8805 AVR, any trouble passing 4.0 (etc.) through it?
I do not but that is because I play almost everything from files and JRiver packages all multichannel formats into 5.1 and relieves the Marantz of any such chores.

They look a bit cheap to be the kind of audio quality I'm interested in, but thanks for the link. My AVR350 cost £1250 when new a decade or more ago, with inflation and translation to USD I assumed I'd need to be in the $1500 to $2000 range. I'm looking at the 1710 as the top model.

Also, not enough legacy inputs. I'd like two coax in and there is only one, I need one optical in so can't convert a coax to that. I need two stereo audio ins which leaves only one spare (bit tight). I'd like to keep my multi channel analogue ins and this has none but that's probably a lost cause these days.

For outputs I need one optical and one analogue line level stereo (not zone 2 or pre out which usually follow volume control) but there are zero of those, and without any of those I cannot use my Dynaudio Xeo 3 remote speakers which is a complete deal breaker.

Basically this goes from one extreme (too big and far too many inputs) to the other (unnecessarily small and not enough inputs). The only thing it has enough of are HDMI ins, I need four and it has seven.

Why the component in/outs? All that wasted space and circuitry could have given me what I need. I have never seen anyone use component, they're a waste of space. Now if there were an S-video in I could use that for my S-VHS deck, but composite in will do and there are three of those.

Wow the bigger Marantz receivers have multi channel analogue inputs! Still no line level stereo or coax/optical output though. How are you supposed to record anything these days with no output for a recorder? And still a deal breaker since there is no way to run my Dynaudio Xeo 3s, even if I could physically fit one in.

I hadn't realised analogue line level and digital audio outs were becoming a thing of the past. My Dynaudio remote speakers are pretty new and sound awesome, I was planning on getting a decade or two of use out of them.

Also, not enough legacy inputs. I'd like two coax in and there is only one, I need one optical in so can't convert a coax to that. I need two stereo audio ins which leaves only one spare (bit tight). I'd like to keep my multi channel analogue ins and this has none but that's probably a lost cause these days.
Wow, you want a modern unit with all the HDMI inputs plus still have all those old legacy inputs, plus still want it small? Your asking a lot. LOL

Wow, you want a modern unit with all the HDMI inputs plus still have all those old legacy inputs, plus still want it small? Your asking a lot. LOL

My current receiver has all the inputs and outputs I need, with the sole exception I need 4 HDMI inputs instead of 2 and I want it to do HDMI audio in (it just does switching). I literally need two extra ins and processing which takes no panel space up. This is eminently possible.

If I'd known Oppo were pulling out of the market I would have bought an Oppo 205 when they were new, this would have given me what I need with my current receiver. But the prices are nuts second hand now.

I may be in the market for a new AVR in the next year or so, but doubtful I'll spend $8k+ for a McIntosh.
Currently have a Marantz AVR-8500 with no HMDI.
BTW, I have a Marantz AV7703 and if the sources meta is flagged as 4.0 it shuts down the center channel output..

They look a bit cheap to be the kind of audio quality I'm interested in, but thanks for the link. My AVR350 cost £1250 when new a decade or more ago, with inflation and translation to USD I assumed I'd need to be in the $1500 to $2000 range. I'm looking at the 1710 as the top model.

For outputs I need one optical and one analogue line level stereo (not zone 2 or pre out which usually follow volume control) but there are zero of those, and without any of those I cannot use my Dynaudio Xeo 3 remote speakers which is a complete deal breaker.

Basically this goes from one extreme (too big and far too many inputs) to the other (unnecessarily small and not enough inputs). The only thing it has enough of are HDMI ins, I need four and it has seven.

Why the component in/outs? All that wasted space and circuitry could have given me what I need. I have never seen anyone use component, they're a waste of space. Now if there were an S-video in I could use that for my S-VHS deck, but composite in will do and there are three of those.
Does this fill your requirements?

Does this fill your requirements?

If it were a Receiver ie. including power amps, probably. Analogue stereo ins are tight but just enough, and I could always use a switch box. The VCR video would have to be direct connected to the TV unless I can find a composite or S-Video to HDMI converter, but that's not a deal breaker. Lack of power amps is.

Seems there may be some solutions among the more esoteric manufacturers. The trouble is getting to see or hear them in the UK is very difficult. Hi-Fi shops are all going out of business here.

A bit too tall. Would fit physically but only about 10mm above it for heat dissipation. Also no line level outputs for driving my Xeo 3's, but apart from that the connectivity looks just about perfect (one composite video in, enough analogue stereo and optical/coax ins). If the 7.1 pre-outs can be reconfigured as line level stereo out, and will play to those analogue outs any digital inputs then it might do. Time to read the manual maybe.

Size is fantastic. A bit short on analogue stereo inputs and would leave me having to work out how to connect the VCR video when neither the TV nor amp has a suitable input (composite to HDMI converter maybe?). But no analogue or digital line level outputs for driving my Xeo 3 remote speakers which is a problem unless the 11.1 pre outs can be re-configured for line level and would play a digital input to that analogue output (my AVR350 won't do that hence I need to use both digital and analogue outs to the Xeo 3 transmitter).

The fan is a concern. I am very sensitive to fan noise. But maybe it never runs if lightly loaded? My AVR350 has two fans firing downwards through the case bottom, but either they run very slowly and quietly or not at all.

Thanks for the suggestions on AV amps, seems there is more out there than I was aware of. I wasn't expecting so much help. Maybe I will be able to sort out something that will let me to multi channel playback over HDMI, which is what this thread is about.

Thanks for the suggestions on AV amps, seems there is more out there than I was aware of. I wasn't expecting so much help. Maybe I will be able to sort out something that will let me to multi channel playback over HDMI, which is what this thread is about.
Either that or time to go shopping at Ikea. LOL

Back