How Long to Convert SACD ISO Files?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have hit a block, I'd like to convert an SACD iso to FLAC, can anybody tell me what I need for the task, would it be sonore, foobar or a combination of both, or something else. I tried using sonore? to convert to DSD to play on my Denon reciever but got DSF instead, which I can't play. FLAC would be best, then I can transfer to a USB stick to play on my Oppo 103, any help would be appreciated. I would rather not have to hack my Oppo to get it to play SACD-R, which was something I was considering a while back.
But you can play DSF on the 103 without any hacking. Just transfer it to a USB stick, as you propose to do with FLAC, and play it. It has nothing to do with SACD-R.

Thanks, I used sonore? to decode an SACD image that I mistakenly thought DSF, they're actually DFF, they won't play on the Oppo :confused:.
You know the Sonare software will let you choose between DSF or DFF right? You could always just re-decode it as DSF. If you want to be able to use bass management or room correction though, you are likely better off converting to FLAC anyway.

Tested my HP laptop today (SACD.iso to flac using foobar) - the process took 10:58 (I only rip the 5.1 files)
Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Not trying to detour this but everyone in this thread is right there with me. I use Foobar for all my listening. Bought a Oppo 103 for SACD ripping. Before that I recorded all my multi channel SACDs from an analog out into a digital format. With the Oppo I rip and also use Sonare to DSF. I'm thinking of going back through ALL my SACDs and using the Oppo to rip a pure digital version and toss the old analog recordings. QUESTION: Since I use Foobar that decodes iso files fine, WHY use Sonare at all??? I'm thinking keep all these as iso files that I could always rip apart later and even burn new SACDs anytime I want. What is the advantage of getting to DSF or even FLAC files? Maybe I'm missing something.

DSF to PCM (FLAC) is not a true lossless conversion but I doubt anyone could hear the difference. There’s also those that believe DSF is superior, audio quality wise. I’d suggest you compare and decide if there’s any perceived quality difference for you. It sounds like you’ve done this already.

I convert my SACDs to FLAC using Foobar. I know I can play FLAC on most devices, now and in the future. My SACD disc player (Oppo 95) is now out my equipment rack, in my office cupboard. I haven’t used it in a few years now.

Every disc I have is now in either tagged FLAC files (Audio) or MKV (DVDV, HD and 4K video). I can play all on either of my two media players that share the same NAS (file server).

Remember folks that another variable is the DSD2PCM Mode in Foobar SACD preferences. Different choices here will affect processing time for a given file. Having stated this, I went out to find a nice link explaining the different modes, but am having a bit of trouble finding any current info relating specifically to processing time. I'll report back if I come up with something useful.

I'm curious to see what CPU people are using and their times. This is the average benchmark for your processor, fwiw: PassMark - Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.60GHz - Price performance comparison

This post is totally relevant to my original post. I'm always curious if I'm just pissing in the wind, considering I use my PC for nearly every step of my audio process.

Here is mine...I do have a small SSD drive, thought it doesn't mention it below as far as I can tell.

1582893954139.png

1582894070654.png

This post is totally relevant to my original post. I'm always curious if I'm just pissing in the wind, considering I use my PC for nearly every step of my audio process.

Here is mine...I do have a small SSD drive, thought it doesn't mention it below as far as I can tell.

View attachment 46784
View attachment 46785

Found it. My drive is a 238 gb SSD.

Back