Favorite Miles Davis Surround Mix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favourite Miles Davis Surround Mix?

• Total voters
Another one for In a Silent Way here, just because I think it's musically a little stronger (or at least more to my tastes) than Bitches Brew or Live-Evil, which are both great in their own rights.

I was heartened to see Mark Wilder's name in the remastering credits of the recent Sony Japan SACD reissue of Live-Evil. He did the fantastic 5.1 mix of IASW, and I'm hopeful that his involvement with these Japanese SACD releases means that his unreleased 5.1 mix of A Tribute to Jack Johnson (and/or any other 5.1 mixes he may have done) may become part of this series.

Dave, if a Mark Wilder 5.1 remix of Davis' brilliant Tribute to Jack Johnson does exist and eventually released, I would gladly replace my already excellent MoFi Stereo SACD remaster of some years ago.

See the source image

Also, I noted in another thread that SONY's 1997 Miles Davis Domestic 5.1 SACD of KIND of BLUE was 'engineered by Mark Wilder' so am wondering if the incorrect speed issue plaguing all previous Kind of Blue releases in multiple mediums [vinyl, RBCD, etc] was finally corrected?

Last edited:
Does anybody know if the "Bitches Brew Live" album is out in 5.1? I did the "Miles Electric" (Isle of Wight) DVD, but have no idea if my mix was used anywhere else.

By chance, Thom, is this the DVD you were referring to:

https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Electric-Different-Kind-Blue/dp/B00069FKN2
AFAIK, Bitches Brew LIVE was never formally released in 5.1. A Great future release for SONY JAPAN along with Mark Wilder's 5.1 remix of Tribute to Jack Johnson would be SUPREME!

... Also, I noted in another thread that SONY's 1997 Miles Davis Domestic 5.1 SACD of KIND of BLUE was 'engineered by Mark Wilder' so am wondering if the incorrect speed issue plaguing all previous Kind of Blue releases in multiple mediums [vinyl, RBCD, etc] was finally corrected?

I have the 1997 Columbia/Legacy 5.1 SACD (CS64935) engineered by Wilder, and yes, the liner notes mention that one reason for this reissue is to correct the wrong speed on earlier editions. The relevant quote is:

"Three tunes [side one] were in the wrong key, which means that the original album and all subsequent reissues (except for the recent gold Mastersound edition, which lacks the alternate "Flamenco Sketches") were recorded at the wrong speed - making all the pitches slightly sharper than in "real life"."

The liner notes also explain how this error came about in the first place.

Finally got hold of a used copy of the Tutu DVD-A. I have the other surround Davis SACDs and I think Tutu is by far my favourite. It was the first Miles Davis album I purchased as a teenager - one of my very first CDs - I still have it. I played it to death back then, so it was a revelation hearing the surround mix and punch from the DVD-A, which is excellent. The SACD quad mix of Bitches Brew is also revelatory, but I just like Tutu more, 80's electric drums and all. I saw Miles perform Tutu in a tiny club in Oslo in October 1987, so that kind of sealed it for me.

Finally got hold of a used copy of the Tutu DVD-A. I have the other surround Davis SACDs and I think Tutu is by far my favourite. It was the first Miles Davis album I purchased as a teenager - one of my very first CDs - I still have it. I played it to death back then, so it was a revelation hearing the surround mix and punch from the DVD-A, which is excellent. The SACD quad mix of Bitches Brew is also revelatory, but I just like Tutu more, 80's electric drums and all. I saw Miles perform Tutu in a tiny club in Oslo in October 1987, so that kind of sealed it for me.

Welcome to QQ, @Titch!

Welcome to QQ, @Titch!
Thank you! Been lurking around this site for years, listening to all the good advice and debates. I came late to the multichannel game - it was only when I finally purchased and installed a decent home theatre set-up five years ago, that I finally realised that a few of the hybrid SACDs and blu-ray audio discs that I already had, came with surround mixes. It was the blu ray audio of Genesis' Selling England By The Pound that really did it for me. I've hunted around on the used market for the last few years and when I last counted, I had 184 multichannel mixes on SACD, DVD-A and blu ray audio in my collection. Miles Davis' Tutu will be one of those that I can amaze unsuspecting visitors with.

Last edited:
Great thread, and the QQ search engine worked for a change as I was going to post a new thread as I had this same idea while some of us are on the Miles kick right now.
What I own so far:
Live Evil: Japanese 4.0 and 2.0 SACD
In A Silent Way Japanese 5.1 SACD
Tutu 5.1 DVD-A
Sketches Of Spain 5.1 DTS CD 24/48
Bitches Brew Japanese 4.0 SACD
Seven Steps To Heaven 3.0 SACD
Miles is featured: The Collection AF 4.0 SACD
I must mention the SACD 2.0 The Hot Spot (Miles Davis and John Lee Hooker plus others) super duper good.
I do not have:
Someday My Prince will come 3.0 (I can get that easy from Analogue Productions)
Kind Of Blue surround: HR Audio.net lists three versions, two Columbia and one SMEJ HRaudio
What is the better of the three Kind Of Blue?
Did I miss any Miles surrounds?
Yes - the SACD 2.0 of The Hot Spot is super duper good! I just purchased the Kino Lorber release of the remastered movie, which has a 5.1 soundtrack. I was hoping for a surround experience, but there is very little difference between the 2.0 SACD and the 5.1 blu-ray. The music on the blu-ray - which is fantastic - is almost completely limited to the front two stereo speakers.
IMG_4563.jpg

Back