Comments Inspired By Who, The - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was the first disc back in 2014 that I had a big problem with. It would not play, the drive in the player would ramp up about 3 times and stop with Unknown Disc on panel.
I returned to Amazon 4 times, I had to have a copy that worked, I talked to someone in the industry and long story short.
Take a piece of fine grit sandpaper and sand the inside of hole on disc, just a little, maybe a little more if you need to. The answer was told to me that some times the hole pressings are just too tight for certain players.
This has happened to me two times since and always works.
Your problem might be different than mine but doesn't sound like my experience would hurt.

Wow. So weird. I don't get this. Why would the tightness of the hole (insert Dice Clay joke here) make any difference? Shouldn't it be tight so it doesn't slip when spinning?

Last edited:
Wow. So weird. I don't get this. Why would the tightness of the hole (insert Dice Clay joke here) make any difference? Shouldn't it be tight so it doesn't slip when spinning?
Hole tightness shouldn't cause a skipping/flutter problem. But if the hole is too small, it may not get mounted by the playback spindle. It would look to the machine as if there is no disc in the player, which was apparently marpow's problem.

They ran out of time and rushed the incomplete mix into the bog box just to get it all to market is the story I gathered. Tapes were never claimed to be lost, but the implication was it would or might not ever be completed. Lake in commercial potential and lack of interest from Pete.

So glad that they reconsidered.
Yes I saw a quote from Pete in an interview to the effect that on the original box set they ran out of time on the 5.1 mix and rushed it out for Christmas. That was very disappointing but I was very happy when the full version finally came out. I scored it a 9 as the mix was great but not quite epic. Did The Who stop doing box sets because Pete sold the rights, or because demand wasn't good enough? The never did Who's Next/Lifehouse.

Yes I saw a quote from Pete in an interview to the effect that on the original box set they ran out of time on the 5.1 mix and rushed it out for Christmas. That was very disappointing but I was very happy when the full version finally came out. I scored it a 9 as the mix was great but not quite epic. Did The Who stop doing box sets because Pete sold the rights, or because demand wasn't good enough? The never did Who's Next/Lifehouse.
I mean, it's the 50th anniversary of Who's Next in 2021. But we'll see? They may have soured on physical releases following poor sales of their 2019 new album, but they also know how to do a box set.

It sounds like Entwistle's bass was mixed into the front speakers and center channel and treated like a regular lead guitar. I always thought DVD-Audio wasn't or isn't really 5.1 but 6 channels with no bass management/rerouting which is why when first marketed, it was recommended you have your main 5 speakers matched all the same size. So John's bass wasn't relegated to the 6th channel/ subwoofer.
John was one of the best...my first Who show was the Filmore east Tommy debut. Saw them many times. I'd take them over the Stones any day...
I don't know why you had to take a shot at The Stones. But I should say I can't stand to See Me Feel me, and hope I never have to sit through it again. I love the Who, and the Stones indeed have more classic hits and classic hit albums. All of them legends on a concert stage.

Oh I almost forget. So the sub is dead on this 5.1 mix with nothing going on at all?

I don't know why you had to take a shot at The Stones. But I should say I can't stand to See Me Feel me, and hope I never have to sit through it again. I love the Who, and the Stones indeed have more classic hits and classic hit albums. All of them legends on a concert stage.

Oh I almost forget. So the sub is dead on this 5.1 mix with nothing going on at all?
Strangely, as a youngster, I was not a Stones fan. I mean, I never gave them a chance. Now that I'm older and wiser (haha) I listen to Stones quite a bit and easily can see why they are...who they are. Oh, and I dig the Who too, but mostly always have.

I believe the point 1 is the bass that is sent to your subwoofer courtesy of your AV receiver. If you remember when DVD-Audio first arrived, there were only 6 analogue outputs from the player to your AV receiver...one each for the 6 DVD-Audio channels. Then again, maybe I am wrong.

I have a CD of Quadrophenia. It is titled "Pete Townshend's Classic Quadrophenia."

Featuring Pete Townsend, Alfie Doe, Billy Idol, Phil Daniels, and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Deutsche Grammophon 479-4528

Is this the same recording? If not, what do I have.

I have a CD of Quadrophenia. It is titled "Pete Townshend's Classic Quadrophenia."
Featuring Pete Townsend, Alfie Doe, Billy Idol, Phil Daniels, and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Deutsche Grammophon 479-4528

Is this the same recording? If not, what do I have.
It appears you have this.
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted By Robert Ziegler - Pete Townshend's Classic Quadrophenia

The release being discussed here is a multichannel release of the full original album by The Who

The Who - Quadrophenia

I meant on my CD.
So you are asking if your CD has surround tracks? I would think not. The CD format only allows for 2 channels. The only CDs I am aware of that include any type of surround are those that used 70's era matrix style encoding for the masters (ie: SQ, RM, maybe Dolby Pro Logic, etc.). They are not discrete and need to be played back with a proper matrix decoder. Such releases are often referred to as "stealth quad" on this forum because they seldom indicate they are encoded on the packaging. The Dolby ones are a possible exception to the stealth designation as I do have an Emerson Lake and Palmer CD with a Dolby encoded version of Pictures at an Exhibition which is clearly noted on the packaging.

I have many Dolby encoded CDs. Many are explicitly labeled, and many more are not. I also have several CDs with the QS logo on them and a whole set of Angel recordings that are CDs of the SQ records they made.

I wondered if this CD was known to be one of them. The choir seems to be spread in all channels.

I was not expecting discrete tracks. I don't want them. I want standard formats that everyone can play.

Last edited:
Back