SQ Full Logic Decoder & Stereo Enhancer; SQL 400A; CBS Technology Center

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
Hi. All

I have come across this SQ decoder on eBay I`ve never come across does anybody now`s it`s linage.....
BBQ
( SQ Full Logic Decoder & Stereo Enhancer; SQL 400A; CBS Technology Center,*AS IS* | eBay )
s-CBS SQ.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hi. All

I have come across this SQ decoder on eBay I`ve never come across does anybody now`s it`s linage.....
BBQ
( SQ Full Logic Decoder & Stereo Enhancer; SQL 400A; CBS Technology Center,*AS IS* | eBay )
View attachment 46952
View attachment 46953
I have this unit the SQ is not bad but the Stereo Enhance is the only one that moves sound from left rear across to right rear just as the Sansui does other units move from r/rear to L/Rear
by L/rear then to center then R/Rear that shows on the scope

This was the first (AFAIK) standalone decoder that used the Motorola MC131X series of full logic decoding ICs (the only other device that I know of that used them was a Masterwork (Columbia's consumer brand) particleboard Q8 combo receiver). I think there's a Popular Electronics article that reviewed it saying that it wasn't too shabby but with some slight shifting in the sound field if you listened hard enough during some passages.

Edit:

The reason why I'm fairly certain of the ICs used are the balance/volume controls and along with the dimension (controls how dumb/aggressive the logic is) control. These are listed in the MC131X datasheets along with the Poptronics DIY New Vista SQ decoder which used the same ICs.

I have an operational Vista SQ decoder. I purchased as a kit years ago. The kit included the three MC131X IC chips. It has the same controls as the unit above.

Back