Linear tracking TT question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that linear tracking turntables are absolutely the only way to fly. (where vinyl is concerned) This one looks very good.

If I wanted to buy this (VERY purty) I would start out by offering the guy $400 and see if he bites. Even at his asking price it's not too bad. It is even possible it might get bid up in todays marketplace.

The cartridge that comes with it sounds like its a moving coil. You will need a pre pre or step up transformer.

Even if the seller says no returns , ebay allows returns if there is a problem with it.

IIRC you can use a MM or a MC with this TT..

Do you think THIS is a good offer?
These vintage TT's can be a real dilemma. I'd say try to find out more about when this was last regularly used, it's history, etc. If this seller is the original owner. How much they know about things related to this, period! (I see that the seller does have 100% feedback so they are doing something right!). Who originally set up cartridge, how old the stylus (needle) is & it's condition, etc. Unless you know for sure the condition of the stylus is excellent, I'd replace it at the very least rather than risk doing permanent damage to your records. (.. since TTs have made a comeback of sorts, you'd be able to find a new cartridge with minimal hassle.) But set-up can be difficult on a linear tracking TT like this since it's different. Hopefully the manual goods into this thoroughly.
Many of these even if in good shape need some work to perform any where near specs. I'm not familiar specifically with this model, as such. But Yamaha had a very good reputation for their TTs' . They almost all need some belts replaced ( ..if it has any). Unless you're really on top of these, ideally, it's best if you can have an experienced individual look things over & set this up for you.
It's good that it appears everything is there. These things can be easily damaged in shipment even with the original materials there. Looks like you have multiple head shells. Dustcover looks nice.
Like gene_stl said, mc cartridge would need a pre-amp of sorts. You could use either a MC or MM cartridge. MMs are much more readily available.
You should be able to deal some on this since it is probably going to cost you more even after you get it.
I have a Sony PS-X800 that I originally got new in 1982. I had it rebuilt-recalibrated, etc., a few years ago, by a fellow who's an expert on these. Vintage equipment almost always needs repair of sorts after so long years, regardless!
I hope some of this is of help to you.
You ever hear 'Caveat emptor.'..... 'Let the Buyer beware'!...just keep that in mind. ...Best regards,

I was actually thinking of about getting that one for a spare but passed on it. I have a PX-2 and I'm always on the hunt for a PX-1. If you did get it let me know and I'll give ya a few tips on set up ect.
And for the rest of you guy's the PX-1 really sucks so pass that old piece of junk onto me and get your self a real table.

Sounds like another exciting adventure for the Kap'n, I've read they can be great when set up and operating properly, but also a little finicky (technical term.)
Oh, hell yeah...ever since I moved to Denver in Dec 2017 my life has been one interesting adventure...(it was also when I moved to Madrid in Jan 1991 but that's another Millennia!!!)

Thanks Pupster!

I have 2 technics linear trackers - SL-J2, SL-15.

One big difference is the Technics players require p-mount cartridges (they are end of life, more difficult to find). Setting up a p-mount cartridge is super simple...just plug it in, tighten one screw, and it works. No setup required (at least not for me).

The Yamaha PX-3 looks like it uses standard cartridges. Here's more info on that table -- Yamaha PX-3 - Manual - Natural Sound Linear Tracking Turntable - Vinyl Engine

Good luck kap'n ! I also love Linear's and ran a Harman Kardon ST-8 for 20+ years without issue. Rebelted it and gave it a complete tune-up before I ripped my lifetime of LP's to 16/44 flacs and then sold out of everything vinyl related. A beautiful TT that I still sometimes miss but have no interest in putting up with all the problems of LP use.
Here's a couple of my ebay for sale pictures
IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

Good luck kap'n ! I also love Linear's and ran a Harman Kardon ST-8 for 20+ years without issue. Rebelted it and gave it a complete tune-up before I ripped my lifetime of LP's to 16/44 flacs and then sold out of everything vinyl related. A beautiful TT that I still sometimes miss but have no interest in putting up with all the problems of LP use.
Here's a couple of my ebay for sale pictures
View attachment 47177
View attachment 47178
yes, LPs are akin to a fickle woman lover, you have to give them a LOT OF LOVE...but there ain't anything in this life that gives you back that love... I LOVE WOMEN, especially MY WOMAN...love them unconditionally...

Cheers!!!

Back