DVD Audio Extractor possible issues with latest version?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never got DVD Audio Extractor to rip any DTS CD and figured it just does not do CDs.

Are you all trying to take the DTS and convert the channels to pcm and then encode to FLAC?

I ask because I find DTS encoded to FLAC losslessly to be a fine way to go under most normal circumstances. DTS decodes to multichannel in a swift and compatible way DSD never has. And also DTS streams travel through all cable varieties where DSD never has.

The only thing going for a PCM (and then to FLAC) conversion it no DTS decoder needed before playback. Which is not that much of a benefit imo. DTS decoders built into so many receivers and software players (not like DSD).

FLAC is a universal format (outside the Apple World...). I've always just converted all my audio-only DTS discs to FLAC for tagging/playback based on an unknown future (i.e. my current audio systems have DTS decoders in the chain, but who knows in the future?)

Well that has proved to be a wise move for me as it looks very likely I'm buying a new Audi with MCH FLAC playback. I've already tested a FULL ARRAY of every type of FLAC I have (channel layouts and sample/bit rates/depths) and ALL play as-is in the Audi untouched correctly. If I'd used DTS (embedded in FLAC or WAV) I'd be up for days of conversions (on going for the life of the car as new stuff arrives, two rips one for my home systems, one for my car... I don't want that)

The only thing going for a PCM (and then to FLAC) conversion it no DTS decoder needed before playback. Which is not that much of a benefit imo. DTS decoders built into so many receivers and software players (not like DSD).
You cant tag a DTS stream. The best you can do is play from a cue sheet. My media players rely on proper tagging to assemble their libraries. And like Homer mentioned, what do you do for mobile playback?

You can put a DTS stream into a WAV file and tag that. I have hundreds of albums done that way and works great with a Kodi media centre.

You can put a DTS stream into a WAV file and tag that. I have hundreds of albums done that way and works great with a Kodi media centre.
Not sure I remember correctly (it's been awhile), but I seem to remember converting the dts.cds in Foobar2K to wav. when they show only 2 channel and then they'll show as Quad. Does that sound right?

Depends on the software used, DTS aware software will recognise them as 4.0 or 5.1 or whatever, dumb software will just see a 2 channel 44.1/16 or 48/16 pcm audio. It does not matter as long as it reaches your receiver unaltered it will decode.

Its been a while since I dealt with this, and maybe it has changed, but isn't WAV tagging limited to like 8 or 9 pieces of info? For example, there aren't separate "artist" and " album artist" tags like you can have in FLAC. So when you want to group something like all the Paul McCartney and Wings albums together under the name "Paul McCartney" for library purposes you have to tag albums all as either "Paul McCartney" or "Wings".

Not aware of that, they are id3v2 tags, I've not come across any limitations but I guess it depends on the software used. I used Kid3 to do the tagging.

I have four Depeche Mode albums that will not rip in DVD Extractor. I have tried everything I can think of but they all just hang in the 'scanning chapters wait phase', after checking the album details.
One example is Songs of Faith and Devotion.
Not Responding

The other 3 are:
Construction Time Again
Ultra
A Broken Frame

Anyone else have this problem and or, any ideas what might be causing this glitch?

Extract the tracks using EAC as you would to rip a normal CD. This will give you wav files you can play to a DTS decoder or convert to something else using ffmpeg

You cant tag a DTS stream. The best you can do is play from a cue sheet. My media players rely on proper tagging to assemble their libraries. And like Homer mentioned, what do you do for mobile playback?
But you can tag a DTS encoded to FLAC set files. I'm not setup for 5.1 in the mobile machine.

I also like to be able to decode the DTS files back to their CD wav format (if they are from CD). and burn a bit-perfect CD just like the original.

Edit
Had to reboot my senior brain memory banks.
I ripped my DTS CD's into flac's as a regular CD in Linux K3B. When they play back my Marantz AV7703 recognizes the DTS encoding and plays them back in 5.1, just as it would the disc. I can tag them in any way I'd like.

Last edited:
I have four Depeche Mode albums that will not rip in DVD Extractor. I have tried everything I can think of but they all just hang in the 'scanning chapters wait phase', after checking the album details.
One example is Songs of Faith and Devotion.
Not Responding

The other 3 are:
Construction Time Again
Ultra
A Broken Frame

Anyone else have this problem and or, any ideas what might be causing this glitch?
Don't know if this applies:
Some D.M. DVD I have are region protected and I can only get them to play on my region free player.

Microsoft did a little while ago, not sure when, maybe end of 2019???
I run Windows 8.1 and like you was very surprised to hear that DVDAE have dropped support. Apparently Microsoft dropped mainstream support of 8.1 in January 2018 ( !!!! ) but will maintain security support until 2023 from when popular IT advice says 8.1 users will be very hackable without Microsoft keeping us safe! This is supposed to be true now for my Windows Vista PC but I keep taking the risk as everyitng works so well on it!

As an aside, I wonder if the constant drive to update technology will be forced to slow down with changing public opinion. In a similar way, Android phones have to be upgraded about every two years as older models lose support (mostly security updates) despite the hardware working perfectly well otherwise. It does seem a total waste of the world's resources sometimes.

Back to DVDAE, I had better get on with ripping the rest of my collection before I lose all support! (And here in the UK, with the clear prospect of virus self-isolation on the horizon I may well have a gap in the diary!)

Good luck all!

I run Windows 8.1 and like you was very surprised to hear that DVDAE have dropped support. Apparently Microsoft dropped mainstream support of 8.1 in January 2018 ( !!!! ) but will maintain security support until 2023 from when popular IT advice says 8.1 users will be very hackable without Microsoft keeping us safe! This is supposed to be true now for my Windows Vista PC but I keep taking the risk as everyitng works so well on it!

As an aside, I wonder if the constant drive to update technology will be forced to slow down with changing public opinion. In a similar way, Android phones have to be upgraded about every two years as older models lose support (mostly security updates) despite the hardware working perfectly well otherwise. It does seem a total waste of the world's resources sometimes.

Back to DVDAE, I had better get on with ripping the rest of my collection before I lose all support! (And here in the UK, with the clear prospect of virus self-isolation on the horizon I may well have a gap in the diary!)

Good luck all!
Just because MS drops support for Win 8, DVDAE is not going to suddenly stop working for you. MS could drop dead themselves and your computer is going to work just fine until it no longer does.

And if you are in self isolation- I would hope you continue your diary and keep ripping your discs to files. In fact you’ll have more time fir both.

I just got word that one of my jobs (the higher paying one), is suspending business because the film / tv studios (their clients) are halting all location productions in Los Angeles. I was bummed out at first until I realized that I can get unemployment benefits while I still work the lesser part time job. So I might be holed up in my apt doing more vinyl transfers and ripping / tagging than usual. I think we should all try and stay busy and do things even if we must stay home for a while.

Back