Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've followed PT / SW since I first saw PT live back in 1993, I usually buy the Deluxe books, go to the gigs etc, but I doubt I'll be buying this deluxe. First off, bonus points for not including vinyl in the box set, but you instantly lose those points for including a cassette with 'exclusive' content that I have to go out of my way to hear in poor quality. Simple question - Why??? If there was a different pressing of the Blu-ray in the box that included the 4 demos and the extra CD2 & CD3 content, then fine. It's really quite a large premium over the stand alone Blu-ray for five extra tracks on CD and four demos on cassette, feels like a bit of a rip off to me this time around. My gut feeling is to just get the stand alone Blu-ray...
Whaaaa? I thought everyone kept their old cassette deck. No, seriously, I still have a dual cassette deck, somewhere. lol.

But yeah, just the BD is all I want.

"Buy the shit you never knew you liked" complains Wilson on a track featured on an album released across a myriad of formats and limited edition box sets.

Lets hope that's irony, rather than a tin eared lack of self-awareness.

Steven is definitely 100% aware of the irony in those lyrics and what he is actually promoting.
But at least he's giving us full choice over formats and editions.

:)

These are the performance credits from Youtube:

Credits:
Steven Wilson - synthesisers/samplers, acoustic and electric guitars, percussion, vocals
David Kosten - programming
Elton John - voice
Rotem Wilson - voice
Nick Beggs - bass guitar
Michael Spearman - drums
Wendy Harriott, Bobbie Gordon, Crystal Williams - vocals
Fyfe Dangerfield - vocals

Yes, Elton John!

Its going to take me a few listens, this song I think. One disappointment for me is that the album seems to be less than 40 minutes long.

The way I look at it is I would rather SW give us 40 minutes of amazing music than 50-70 minutes of music filled with lots of mediocre filler. So many of my favorite albums are less than 50 minutes in length so this is not a problem for me at all.

Steven is definitely 100% aware of the irony in those lyrics and what he is actually promoting.
But at least he's giving us full choice over formats and editions.

I totally agree! He's a good man, it seems, with his feet firmly rooted. I have zero problems with the evolution of his music. I think it sounds great. One thing for sure, in another 3-4 years, he will sound different again. Once we get a US option for purchase, I'll be ordering. The standalone that is.

These are the performance credits from Youtube:

Credits:
Steven Wilson - synthesisers/samplers, acoustic and electric guitars, percussion, vocals
David Kosten - programming
Elton John - voice
Rotem Wilson - voice
Nick Beggs - bass guitar
Michael Spearman - drums
Wendy Harriott, Bobbie Gordon, Crystal Williams - vocals

Yes, Elton John!

Its going to take me a few listens, this song I think. One disappointment for me is that the album seems to be less than 40 minutes long.

I'm curious as to how he got Elton involved. Maybe he's been doing some surround mixes for him?

I'm gonna wait, rebuilding my sound system in another room. One Steven Wilson disc can buy one interconnect cable.
I know this will be the time to think about adding Atmos, I am just not sold on it yet. I love a really good 5.1 done properly.
I would recommend the Atmos height speakers.
1. They add alot even for stereo playback. I use the Atmos Upmix on my Yamaha and it's great.
2. You've gotta have Atmos for movies.
3. I like Atmos for some types of music.

Whaaaa? I thought everyone kept their old cassette deck. No, seriously, I still have a dual cassette deck, somewhere. lol.

But yeah, just the BD is all I want.

Ha! Yep, I still have a cassette deck somewhere too :cool: Pretty sure the first thing that anyone who plays the cassette will do is rip it to a digital format, which is the daftest part!

I know it's sacrilege, but I'm not digging "Personal Shopper". I wasn't a huge fan of "To The Bone" either, although there are a few tunes I love on it. I'm sure, however, that I'll find something to love here as well (aside from the 5.1 mix, which should be excellent :) )
I'm with you there. After 25 years of listening to No-Man, Porcupine Tree, and his solo work, I feel that he and I have finally parted ways.

I also think this “cassette only” extra stuff is a bit silly. When buying the so-called deluxe set it should include everything that the other individual formats have. It’s not out until June, maybe it can still be changed and added to the Blu-ray.

Credits:
Elton John - voice

These two are interesting.

Elton John - voice. Not vocals? Voice. Is he not actually singing?
Fyfe Dangerfied: These are the two surnames of two of Australia’s biggest AFL football stars (Both have won the equivalent to MVP in last few years). What’s the chances of someone having both those names?

Although To the Bone was my Disappointment of the Year, I saw the announcement for Future Bites in my email at 5vam, caved in, and sprung for the big box with the exorbitant shipping charges. With so many upcoming concerts being cancelled, a June treat seemed like a winner. Now hearing the single, well...we'll see :cautious:

Plenty of artists are releasing cassettes these days in low quantities. The trouble is finding a deck of decent quality to play them on. I sadly learned that my high end deck's rubber parts had turned to stone, and waited seven months for a repair. Good rehabbed decks sell for big money on eBay. I just take the cassette release in a spirit of having a little fun--nothing that promises quality sound and nothing to be a trigger for outrage :cool:.

I have now listened to the song twice. First time thinking yea great sonics and beat. Then the voiceover starts and continues and continues.
Second time the boring factor starts to surface. I could see listening to this in a car then skipping or fast forward (cassette days reference)
When Bowie did the voice over name dropping in Satellites it was cool.

So... I will have to hear another song before deciding. This is 9 minutes I will be skipping over.
Note I did not like and did not buy to the bone. Reminds me of when I jumped off the U2 boat.....

These two are interesting.

Elton John - voice. Not vocals? Voice. Is he not actually singing?
Fyfe Dangerfied: These are the two surnames of two of Australia’s biggest AFL football stars (Both have won the equivalent to MVP in last few years). What’s the chances of someone having both those names?

Elton John is reciting a shopping list about half way through the song, so yes, voice not vocals! I wonder how Steven Wilson got him to do that!

Back