Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1445FC74-27B3-445C-96EA-E29B6DD84806.jpeg

Alan Parsons “Tales of Mystery and Imagination” original release on import cassette through my Fosgate Audionics Model Four Surround decoder. For some reason his stuff decodes so well from stereo to fake Quad. This and “I Robot” sound almost discrete while most other CD’s or tapes do just OK with the Model Four and while usually producing a semblance of a true Quad experience, they usually end up having a very ‘processed’ audio quality to them.

This title opens right up and sounds totally natural and there is a real discrete quality to it with real separation. Not sure how Alan did it but there has to be a reason that his stuff decodes so well?

View attachment 45345

Alan Parsons “Tales of Mystery and Imagination” original release on import cassette through my Fosgate Audionics Model Four Surround decoder. For some reason his stuff decodes so well from stereo to fake Quad. This and “I Robot” sound almost discrete while most other CD’s or tapes do just OK with the Model Four and while usually producing a semblance of a true Quad experience, they usually end up having a very ‘processed’ audio quality to them.

This title opens right up and sounds totally natural and there is a real discrete quality to it with real separation. Not sure how Alan did it but there has to be a reason that his stuff decodes so well?
I think it’s is most likely that the APP recordings are heavily overdubbed with take after take on different days and then mixed seamlessly. The decoders pick up on those different tracks with different takes and easily separate some of those elements.

That’s my guess.

I bought this album on eBay for $1.99, only because it was in my parents collection when I was a kid. Made in 1960. This is the stereo version. It was also available back then in mono. But I swear I hear more quad effects using my Sansui QRX-7001 synthesize quad mode than many other actual quad albums!

Attachments

• IMG_20200227_145101.jpg
    IMG_20200227_145101.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 256
OMG, I felt like some Jimi tonight...I ripped a Reprise late 60s Stereo repress in 2017 which I bought like 20+ years ago and it was in VG condition and it was SO VIBRANT!!!! Yes, I had to clean it quite a bit but I am sure that this was what Jimi had in mind... it decodes WICKEDLY in DTS Neural X...who needs an AF SACD??? I am a big fan of early pressings cause tape degrades a lot. I have a Nick Drake 5LL 1st pressing rip which is heavenly...

Here it is.. a 1968 pressing...I feel like going on a bike ride!!!!(thanks Albert!)

LP rips from the first pressings are SOOO sweet!!!

I feel like I am extended family after working with Ollie Halsall in 1991 and meeting John "Admiral" Halsey in 2015...whoever feels like having their socks blown away by a REAL guitar hero should listen to ANY of Patto's releases....

from a first pressing..actually this is from a PROMO US pressing that had NEVER been played...OMG...

R-1231914-1505008036-8649.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Penteo does a very nice 5.1 job on the new James Taylor release "American Standard". It's another old guy doing old old songs, but if you like guitar, it's a very nice listen. It's not a "What's New" type of deal. No big band or large production, more like a JT take on some old songs, with the guitar as the main instrument. His vocals are amazingly good for his age. (!!)

The Penteo 5.1 spread and centered vocals give an excellent and wide presentation. On some tunes the background vocals pull nicely to the rears.

(EDIT: After listening to this album a couple of times through today in the car, I can tell you that some of the songs are amazing, in particular "Moon River", "It's Almost Like Being in Love", and "Teach Me Tonight". However, there are a few that are just plain wrong for JT, notably "Old Man River", "God Bless the Child". But, and this is my opinion, the three songs that I really enjoy are worth the price of the album. You may differ with your likes and dislikes of course)

Last edited:
Weird day...
first Deep Sabbath..
R-2637933-1294445645.jpeg.jpg

Danny Kortchmar is a beast... love the synth gtr/"horn" solos on Sunset Grill...oh man , I used to play this LP as an FM DJ 84-86.... life is quite a ride!!!
R-1645756-1518962917-7883.png.jpg

Listening to this dolby surround cd with Foobar freesurround plugin, very convincing! The freesurround plugin comes with an mp3 file with front left, front right, rear left, rear right and center spoken and it works, everything comes from the correct channel. Not so good with loud albums (Metal etc) but I can imagine it does a good job with matrix quad.

Dolby Surround.jpg

Back