HiRez Poll T. Rex - ELECTRIC WARRIOR [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of T. Rex - ELECTRIC WARRIOR

• Total voters
Man, I’ll have to give this another spin soon, but I don’t recall it standing out in any way as a surround release.

Besides it being an LP that I consider has a one hit wonder classification I never rated it because its lacking entirely. But if you play it on a PC with little satellite speakers sitting 2 feet away it might sound good to you. I just sold my copy today and it won't be missed. Let's "Get it On" Bang a Gong....Ha.....Dirty Sweet Girl .....good ol sexual innuendo though.....

Have the German SACD multichannel (and plenty of other copies, and pre-ordered the upcoming MoFi SACD). Don't have this DVD-A. Should have given HDave an offer earlier! ;)

Marc Bolan is one of those unique musicians whose main audience these days is other musicians. Yea, during that period he had all the teenies bopping, but today's musicians appreciate his song-writing abilities. What's really _strange_ about the boppin' elf, is that he basically used 1950's rock n' roll applied to a gamut of genres: psychedelic Tolkien, glam rock, and even punk / New Wave. Wonder what he'd sound like today? We'll never know :(.

That said, you can hardly call a legendary musician a "one-hit wonder." The album actually had another hit, "Jeepster."

Have the German SACD multichannel (and plenty of other copies, and pre-ordered the upcoming MoFi SACD). Don't have this DVD-A. Should have given HDave an offer earlier! ;)

That said, you can hardly call a legendary musician a "one-hit wonder." The album actually had another hit, "Jeepster."

Another musician that died too young, I would've been happy to have sold it to you, Oh Well. "Jeepster" never charted in the US, (hit in the UK) I never heard of it and listening to the disc it didn't get my attention regardless. In the US 4 singles charted and one was considered a hit at #10. (So yea a one hit wonder over here). Bolan seemed to be an artist like Bowie, but was popular mainly in Britain/Ireland and had at least 10 hits but didn't get much of a following across the pond.

I always loved this album, every track is great whether more than one single charted or not. I used to have the pre-recorded cassette, the Dolby NR processing gave it that bit extra treble that made it sound good on my non-Dolby car deck. Reading the revues I'm not sure if I should bother getting a copy or not if the surround mix is not that great. I haven't noticed any copies for sale on eBay for awhile but several copies are listed for sale on Discogs, priced high but not totally out of reach. Sometimes it's better just to listen to the "synthesized" stereo, than to bother with a lacklustre surround version.

Yes, always will be a high-priced one. Always was too.
Mine was near mint, opened and played once then sat for 16 years. Always try to be comparable to discogs pricing with condition matching. Some in the condition of the one I just sold are $100+ but I sold mine for $65. I felt was fair considering I paid $24.99 new for it, don't need to gouged other surround sound fans. Can't always sell at original MSRP and try to stay just below market value. I should start letting QQ members know what I have available before I do fleabag. Realistically I hate the whole process anyways and would just as soon sell all my collection at once.

That was one album I wondered how the SS mix sounded but didn't find anything at the time for sale. At the prices for SOME DVD-A's including that one, I just wouldn't spend that. I have a few I gave around $20 for that I was satisfied with. I consider myself lucky to have gotten Neil Young's Harvest for $40 and The Carpenters, The Singles for the same price, which is thru the roof prices now. To me was one well worth it. I've seen Harvest for sale at $75 before. It has options to hear it in other formats, as most of you may know that own it. Probably never will hear T. Rex in SS but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Last edited:
I may have already stated this previously, but I love sitting up front near the center speaker and listening to Marc's vocals nice and directly. Then all the musical parts around him. One needs to really like rock and roll, the basic primitive stuff. That is what this album is, but it has a very fashionable decor of the times. And the times happened to be 1971, 72, and 73, the best peak years of the genre.

I wish they could do The Slider in 5.1. I wonder if the multitracks are still around for the songs?

Back