Renaissance - “Turn of the Cards” reissue with 5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always daunting to be the first to give an opinion. But can only give an honest view .
Its OK Gene I've got broad shoulders, trouble is they are joining everything else that's getting broad!! 😀

I appreciate the honest review. I am getting a bit tired of spending good money on multi-disk sets that include a surround DVD almost as an afterthought. I was a bit iffy on this one anyway, so your review really just confirmed my initial suspicions. Come on Axe Victim!

sorry for the outburst 🤐
its just so disappointing.. 😢
is there any indication or can you pick out how much of it is upmixed?
It was close to my thoughts Adam.🤪
That's a tricky call...it's just the lack of seperation and filling each speaker with reverb that is a disappointment.
But as I said ...I'm pleased I have it.
Take for instance Mother Russia
That seems to have more of a recognised mix going on.
On my third run through ...which is rare in itself , to see if I'm missing anything.

It was close to my thoughts Adam.🤪
That's a tricky call...it's just the lack of seperation and filling each speaker with reverb that is a disappointment.
But as I said ...I'm pleased I have it.
Take for instance Mother Russia
That seems to have more of a recognised mix going on.
On my third run through ...which is rare in itself , to see if I'm missing anything.

thanks so much for your feedback anyway 👍
tbh it was on the shopping list but i probably won't ultimately plump for this now, i'm not a fan of wet surround mixes (prefer 'em dry like my Gin) 😋 🍸

It seems this album might actually be a combination of a proper remix and an upmix.
The first CD in the set lists new stereo mixes for only "Things I Don't Understand", "Black Flame", and "Mother Russia".

So could it be possible that those three songs have proper 5.1 mixes and the rest are upmixes?

:oops:

Also tried another angle...
Playing the original surround release through JRiver but with a 7.1 output.
That cleans up the mix as well.

But not as good as SpecWeb does...

Getting to know this album off by heart now..... :)

Last edited:
Oh cripe. Are you saying s specweb upmix sounds better than what they offered on the disc?
Indeed I am Gene. :rolleyes:
But then a fair proportion is already up-mixed, it's just they could have done a better job with it. I still think the mixers are not tuned into the variances between stereo and surround mixing.

I've only listened to the album once so far its, so it is a very first off impression. It has been years since I heard it as I've it only on vinyl, it is a great album musically. The DTS mix seemed immersive so spread around/smeared in places which would fit with some up-mixing, my favourite track "Mother Russia" sounds good to me.

I've only listened to the album once so far its, so it is a very first off impression. It has been years since I heard it as I've it only on vinyl, it is a great album musically. The DTS mix seemed immersive so spread around/smeared in places which would fit with some up-mixing, my favourite track "Mother Russia" sounds good to me.
I was waiting for another opinion Duncan.... (y)
Musically it's very good
And a first listen for me.

Always daunting to be the first to give an opinion. But can only give an honest view .
Its OK Gene I've got broad shoulders, trouble is they are joining everything else that's getting broad!! 😀

A True Renaissance Man

See the source image

With Broad Shoulders and a Pot Belly!

Honesty is always the best policy, Mike. Thanks for the mini review. Am looking forward to hearing my copy when it arrives. LOVE ❤ RENAISSANCE!
It sure is Ralph...always been my way....Sometimes, being a Saggy, I can be too honest in my views and say it like it is, but, hopefully, I've learnt over the years to have some tact!!
Not sure about diplomacy though.... :)

Back