RARE VINTAGE AUDIONICS OF OREGON SPACE & IMAGE COMPOSER QUAD DECODER UNIT

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
Hi. All

I have come across a gem ( SQ AUDIONICS OF OREGON SPACE & IMAGE COMPOSER ) units up for sale on eBay thought I`ll pass it on to all I have one but needs some loving ....

( RARE VINTAGE AUDIONICS OF OREGON SPACE & IMAGE COMPOSER QUAD DECODER - WORKING ! | eBay )

s-l1600a.jpg
s-l1600b.jpg

s-l1600c.jpg
s-l1600d.jpg

s-l1600 ab.jpg

s-l1600 bb.jpg

It`s back with more photos and has been tested to work but one lamp on the display is out...
BBQ....

Last edited:
hi BBQ!! good to see you, hope you're ok!!?? 🤗

do you know, how does the S&IC's axial tilt feature work?
i imagine it is to compensate for out of whack stylus azimuth or something?

Hi. fredy

I am fine...….. New ZEALAND ...........went into lock down midnight last night .

There is a web site that is set up for the S&IC unit and gives information on the unit..

( Audionics of Oregon Space & Image Composer - Info & History )

Last edited:
Wow I have never seen a wooden case for these must be a custom built job.

I do notice on the back it is missing the receptacle if you call it that for the optional wired plug in remote control unit or light show control.....

I do notice on the back it is missing the receptacle if you call it that for the optional wired plug in remote control unit or light show control.....

Hi. jefe1

I would say that you are write the wooden case is custom built,
My S&IC unit is about the same cosmetically but needs some work done, I have had a hard time finding a tech how would work on it I have a person now but he is on other projects of mine one thing at the time.
My unit is missing the remote clamp to, I don't now why people take these things off because they are for these units only.
BBQ......

It works by mixing a bit of the opposite channel in phase or out of phase to cancel cross-talk from a misaligned phono cartridge. I ended up not bothering to use it, it's not that necessary if your cartridge is properly aligned physically. You need a stereo test record with left only and right only test tones. I always found that the test tracks weren't long enough, you have to keep setting the stylus back to the start of the track and then try to adjust before the track ends. I admit I'm a bit anal about getting the adjustment right on, if you work quickly or find a test record with long test tracks it would be no problem to set up.

It works by mixing a bit of the opposite channel in phase or out of phase to cancel cross-talk from a misaligned phono cartridge. I ended up not bothering to use it, it's not that necessary if your cartridge is properly aligned physically. You need a stereo test record with left only and right only test tones. I always found that the test tracks weren't long enough, you have to keep setting the stylus back to the start of the track and then try to adjust before the track ends. I admit I'm a bit anal about getting the adjustment right on, if you work quickly or find a test record with long test tracks it would be no problem to set up.

thank you for the great information! 👍👍

When I got mine it didn't have the receptacle either, perhaps it was only installed if you ordered the remote? It's just a common db25 connector. I bought a connector and soldered it on. I made my own remote but eventually disconnected it. Wired remotes are a pain and it doesn't control the discrete input, so what is the point? I always thought that a light show would be cool but never explored that idea further.

That's exactly what it does. My unit came with a test record; the instructions indicated playing a certain track on the test record, then adjusting the axial tilt controls on the back panel to null out the test tone in the opposite channel. For example, the left front tone is used to adjust the right channel axial tilt pot, and vice versa. It not only compensates for a misaligned cartridge, it also increases separation on the input stage.

Check the input voltage. This unit is clearly intended for the Japanese market. Voltage is 100 volts. It would require stepping down the voltage to use it in the US market.

Hi. jaybird100

You are correct you need a step down transformer I have quite a view Japanese item that I have a 230v to 100v step down transformer..
BBQ...

When I got mine it didn't have the receptacle either, perhaps it was only installed if you ordered the remote? It's just a common db25 connector. I bought a connector and soldered it on. I made my own remote but eventually disconnected it. Wired remotes are a pain and it doesn't control the discrete input, so what is the point? I always thought that a light show would be cool but never explored that idea further.
My SAIC didn't have the receptacle on the original build, either. It was the 4th unit built & shipped per Steve Kennedy at the time. Audionics added the DB25 port when I sent the unit in at a later date for the Exar chipset upgrade. I never did purchase the wired remote. Because the unit offered in the eBay Auction mentioned in this thread lacks the port, I highly suspect it still has the original faulty NS chipset. Those in the know may have noticed this in the auction item photos and perhaps that's why it didn't sell. One of these days I need to write-up the whole story about me getting this incredible piece of '70 technology.

My SAIC didn't have the receptacle on the original build, either. It was the 4th unit built & shipped per Steve Kennedy at the time. Audionics added the DB25 port when I sent the unit in at a later date for the Exar chipset upgrade. I never did purchase the wired remote. Because the unit offered in the eBay Auction mentioned in this thread lacks the port, I highly suspect it still has the original faulty NS chipset. Those in the know may have noticed this in the auction item photos and perhaps that's why it didn't sell. One of these days I need to write-up the whole story about me getting this incredible piece of '70 technology.
The unit for sale without the receptacle has a very low serial number, so must of been one of the first units built and shipped. Mine has a much higher serial number and has the Exar chips still but came without the connector.

The unit for sale without the receptacle has a very low serial number, so must of been one of the first units built and shipped. Mine has a much higher serial number and has the Exar chips still but came without the connector.
Mine is serial number 40. I spoke to Steve Kennedy about another issue right after delivery. After he told me mine was the 4th unit out, I asked why my unit had a differing serial number. He told me the serial numbers on the units were in relation to the arrival of the pre-order deposits. My deposit with the 40th received and hence, my SAIC was SN 40. Final building and shipment was in order of the balance of payment received.

Last edited:
Just wondering what difference you noticed sound wise between the original chip set and after the Exar upgrade.

Back