Renaissance - “Turn of the Cards” reissue with 5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the 5.1 mix today from a fellow member and friend, and after careful analysis, I am extremely certain that tracks 1 & 2 are definitely upmixed from the two-track stereo. There's practically no separation at all between any of the 5 channels in the 5.1 mix.
Track 5 ("Cold is Being") is also an upmix, but it's not nearly as obvious as it is on the first two tracks because of the nature of the recording (only organ & vocals)

Dear Adam:

Shouldn't you better utilize THIS time to alphabetize your vast music collection into DISCRETE, NON DISCRETE and/or PATHETICALLY INSOUCIANT?

ah Ralphie, Ralphie, Ralphie.. i'm mostly using this time trying not to a.) go bust, b.) go mad and c.) die. the music's a very welcome refuge from the current daily grind of survival, stay safe mate! 👍

I received the 5.1 mix today from a fellow member and friend, and after careful analysis, I am extremely certain that tracks 1 & 2 are definitely upmixed from the two-track stereo. There's practically no separation at all between any of the 5 channels in the 5.1 mix.
Track 5 ("Cold is Being") is also an upmix, but it's not nearly as obvious as it is on the first two tracks because of the nature of the recording (only organ & vocals)

Oof. And the other tracks? (My copy is supposed to be showing up on Saturday, and after I wipe it down with disinfectant I'll give it a spin.)

Is anyone here tight enough with Ben Wiseman or Mark Powell or whoever at Esoteric to be able to get the real, detailed skinny here? I emailed the label once with a question about the PFM Paper Charms anthology and never got an answer, even when I nudged them again after a month or so...

Last edited:
Oof. And the other tracks? (My copy is supposed to be showing up on Saturday, and after I wipe it down with disinfectant I'll give it a spin.)

There's a clear difference in quality and separation from the three tracks mentioned above and the other three tracks, so basically half the album was properly remixed and the other half was upmixed.

ah Ralphie, Ralphie, Ralphie.. i'm mostly using this time trying not to a.) go bust, b.) go mad and c.) die. the music's a very welcome refuge from the current daily grind of survival, stay safe mate! 👍

AH, Adam, we're ALL in this TOGETHER and VERY SOON there'll be a Renaissance of Sorts and our bleeding hearts will experience a VERY POSITIVE TURN OF THE CARDIO ❤

I wonder if long-term it will discourage bonus surround discs on on these types of sets if one guy opines the disc mix isn't as discrete as he likes, another deduces that half the tracks are upmixes, and the cancellations flood in.

They may think there's no pleasing these folks, so why bother? :unsure:

I hope all you cancellers find some downloads with good reviews and support those artists while you punish whomever it is you think deserves it in this case. :whistle:

By the way, I cancelled my Amazon order and instead ordered from Cherry Red.
I got it yesterday, Royal Mail International Tracked No Signature Required.

Six days from dispatch Dartford, UK to my mailbox in the geographic center of the USA.

Oh, and it sounds wonderful to me.
Not familiar with the album. but love Annie Haslam's voice and the Fairport Convention / Pentangle / Steeleye Span genre, none of which is available even in mediocre surround.

I listened first in stereo through HD IEM earbuds on my bike ride.
The surround mix really opened up the sound stage in comparison.

People like what they like, but it seems some material has so much going on in the arrangements and orchestration that I'm fine with more conservative or less adventurous mixes.

Not everything has to sound like a 1974 SW prog mix for me to be happy with it.
I expect this disc will get many more spins over time than a good deal of my D-V collection with more discrete quad mixes but weaker material.

By the way, I cancelled my Amazon order and instead ordered from Cherry Red.
I got it yesterday, Royal Mail International Tracked No Signature Required.
Six days from dispatch Dartford, UK to my mailbox in the geographic center of the USA.
Thanks for the info...good to know (y)

Personally, I WANT to discourage the release of bad bonus surround discs because I’m tired of giving money away purchasing bad bonus surround discs. I know whether or not a mix is bad is all personal opinion... I only give my opinion to help those who tend to agree with me... I’m sure there will be many who love this music and this disc and don’t care about my opinion, and that’s cool... and I’m happy for anyone who likes this mix (I wish I did) 😊

There's a clear difference in quality and separation from the three tracks mentioned above and the other three tracks, so basically half the album was properly remixed and the other half was upmixed.
The Gong album You from the box set was 1/2 original quad half upmix the upmix was absolutely brilliant.
I will be spinning this at the weekend

I wonder if long-term it will discourage bonus surround discs on on these types of sets if one guy opines the disc mix isn't as discrete as he likes, another deduces that half the tracks are upmixes, and the cancellations flood in.

They may think there's no pleasing these folks, so why bother? :unsure:
But they should’ve at least acknowledged that some tracks are upmixes. Having to figure that out by ourselves after buying the reissue is quite displeasing.

Last edited:
Upon first listen to the 5.1 DTS mix, I pretty much agree with all the comments so far.
However, I noticed the Bass being pretty anemic. So I ripped the audio tracks. In a sound editor (Goldwave), it looks like there is no LFE channel (silent) - but it is not. It has peak levels in the -50db range. So I boosted the LFE volume to max at about -10 or -9, and voila - there is some decent LFE there. I have not had the chance to listen to the fix on my system, but with headphones it really sounds more powerful.

The disc is just finishing its 5th spin, and I have to say I'm surprised at the lackluster response to the mix. There's so much going on in the rears. This is much better than most Genesis mixes, for example. Much better than REM too. It may not be 100% discrete in that instruments and vocals aren't dedicated to one speaker, but it's very well balanced, it's exciting, the sound stage is expansive, and it keeps with the feel and sound of the original mix while improving on fidelity a hundred folds. I'm also very glad Annie's vocals aren't coming from just the centre speaker, would have made them sound thin when they should sound heavenly, and they do! Overall I'm very happy with this, and I hope and pray for many more. If all of future surround releases are of this level I'd be a very very happy listener.

Back