What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howard Roberts - Equinox Express Elevator
Howard was a monster player, especially in the L.A. session scene, see his many works here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Roberts
https://www.discogs.com/Howard-Roberts-Equinox-Express-Elevator/release/5433693
HR-EEE.jpg

I also studied some of his guitar lessons in the late 70's and 80's from the excellent "Jazz Improvisation" column in the Guitar Player magazine. Thrilled to finally hear this one in Quad.
HR-JAZZ IMPROV.jpg

The Life And Times Of Country Joe And The Fish From Haight-Ashbury To Woodstock
20200327_113801.jpg

Double album, very interesting four-corner mixes on some songs.

The Free Design Kites Are Fun
20200314_124038.jpg

I'm assuming this is EV-4 so I played it in RM, great sound quality.

Manuel Gottsching Ash Ra Tempel 6 Inventions For Electric Guitar
20200305_191534.jpg

Good music for meditation, passive surround mix.

Meyer Kupferman Concerto For Cello, Tape And Orchestra
20200305_191436.jpg

Abstract percussion, it reminds me of the background music for There Will Be Blood, good mix.

Various French Songs (Nimbus)
20200324_222439.jpg

This was listed as DBX-QS encoded, ended up with the non-DBX version which is still QS, lots of dynamic range good ambiance.

The World Of Harry Partch sealed
20200327_145944.jpg

Opened it, was still perfect. Great mix, strange abstract content, sounds like Japanese music at times.

Steely Dan Can't Buy A Thrill
20200305_191337.jpg

I had holding off buying this album for a long time because it seemed like I couldn't find one without liquid damage, then I realized it was part of the cover art! True story.

View attachment 47957

View attachment 47958

View attachment 47960

View attachment 47961
Abstract percussion, it reminds me of the background music for There Will Be Blood, good mix.

View attachment 47962
This was listed as DBX-QS encoded, ended up with the non-DBX version which is still QS, lots of dynamic range good ambiance.

View attachment 47964
Opened it, was still perfect. Great mix, strange abstract content, sounds like Japanese music at times.

View attachment 47965
I had holding off buying this album for a long time because it seemed like I couldn't find one without liquid damage, then I realized it was part of the cover art! True story.

Hi. furui_suterioo
Great buy`s there & great to see people still vintage Quad LP buying....
BBQ.....

Just ordered a at440mlb expecting it within the next few days, also the test record for my kenwood. I recently lost a nut because I had a screw loose and I just cant find it anywhere (cartridge is hanging by just one screw). I am not expecting optimal CD-4 performance from the old pl12d, and I dont have any CD-4 records yet, but at least I will be able to play them without damaging them until I get a better TT. I am very eager to test the demodulator on my kenwood not sure if it was ever used at all, hopefully it still works
20200327_152053.jpg

Just ordered a at440mlb expecting it within the next few days, also the test record for my kenwood. I recently lost a nut because I had a screw loose and I just cant find it anywhere (cartridge is hanging by just one screw). I am not expecting optimal CD-4 performance from the old pl12d, and I dont have any CD-4 records yet, but at least I will be able to play them without damaging them until I get a better TT. I am very eager to test the demodulator on my kenwood not sure if it was ever used at all, hopefully it still works
Any particular model TT you're considering?

View attachment 47957

View attachment 47958

View attachment 47960

View attachment 47961

View attachment 47962

View attachment 47964

View attachment 47965
Many people made the same mistake with Muscle of Love.

I am very eager to test the demodulator on my kenwood not sure if it was ever used at all, hopefully it still works

I used to have a Kenwood 9940 like yours. The only reciever I've ever owned. The CD-4 demodulator was stable & not too picky about set up. I was using an AT-12 and then a Pickering CD-4 cart back then. I also have an AT-440 mlb on my present AT TT and when it was new I tried with both my Clarion & JVC demodulators. It worked fine. So I hope it turns out well for you too.

I like Harvey Mandel. I just wish he had mixed Christo Redentor in quad. I had a (record;)) dealer give me a copy years ago telling me that I need to know it. Don't most (record;)) dealers give free samples to get ya hooked?
Here's the LP I got back in the day that introduced me to Mandel.
https://www.discogs.com/Harvey-Mandel-The-Best-Of-Harvey-Mandel/release/3488810This version of Cristo Redentor is great sounding, but not the same as Mandel.
https://www.discogs.com/David-Sanborn-Timeagain/release/3169735

I like Harvey Mandel. I just wish he had mixed Christo Redentor in quad. I had a (record;)) dealer give me a copy years ago telling me that I need to know it. Don't most (record;)) dealers give free samples to get ya hooked?
Love that album. Have you heard The Snake by Harvey Mandel. When I played it a few months ago it sure sounded to me like the second song on side 2 , Ode to the Owl, had some kind of encoding. The whole album sounded good through the SM but when this song came on I suddenly started hearing things from the rear that I did not hear on the rest.

Love that album. Have you heard The Snake by Harvey Mandel. When I played it a few months ago it sure sounded to me like the second song on side 2 , Ode to the Owl, had some kind of encoding. The whole album sounded good through the SM but when this song came on I suddenly started hearing things from the rear that I did not hear on the rest.
Ode to the Owl.....Alan "the Owl" Wilson, co-founder and Soul of Canned Heat, the best Delta Blues band ever...always a great listen and lesson in Delta Blues..I know cause I moved to New Orleans and I understood why...

I just bought (used off Discogs) the SQ album of LaBelle, Phoenix. Typically, I wouldn't buy an album that didn't produce any hits. (I'm very much a "pop" guy.) But at only a few bucks more added to my order of other stuff, I couldn't resist. In any case, listening to it today, the quad mix is pretty amazing! SQ rarely impresses me. But this album is terrific. FYI. I'm using a Sansui QRX-7001 to decode.

Last edited:
Hi. All
I`v been recording some of my Japanese matrix LP`s on to the computer and doing a little declicking , these where Columbia QX matrix and I always wanted to now what type of matrix they where and low and behold it was right in front of ME...
it seems it is .........Electrovoice 4 system...…. look down to the third photo
Image1.jpg
IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

Back