Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took me 4 days to get a response. I am happy to share the email address that I used as well as the body of my message, although you may want to change the ship to address. :sneaky:

Pete at Burning Shed just responded to my specific questions about this:

4) Overly loud and so compressed mastering of both stereo and 5.1 mixes?
This is a bit subjective. The 5.1 mix is the 2003 original, so yes, it was right in the middle of the "loudness wars” so it is what it is (or rather, was).
The stereo of the full album, however, is new and exactly as Steven Wilson feels it should be now.
The bonus material is all circa 2003 so will have the ’sound' of that era.

Dam such a good album what a shame, I'm passing on this one

So, to sum up the situation, it seems that if you have the 5.1 DVD-A already, you can make the following changes and have the same mix that's being released with this box set:

- Invert the center channel (corrects phase issue)
- Trim 10ms off the beginning of the LFE channel on each track (corrects misalignment)
- Amplify the LFE channel 7.6dB on each track (kicks ass)

Does this seem correct? (It sounds awesome, by the way... thank you frogmort and Plan9)

So, to sum up the situation, it seems that if you have the 5.1 DVD-A already, you can make the following changes and have the same mix that's being released with this box set:

- Trim 10ms off the beginning of the LFE channel on each track (corrects misalignment)

Does this seem correct? (It sounds awesome, by the way... thank you frogmort and Plan9)
I think that's correct, except the corrected bluray's LFE will not be boosted. Think I read that somewhere. @Plan9 could doubtless clarify the best.

Last edited:

So how does a person do this on a Mac? Thank you for any assistance!

Not asking for a tutorial, but what program/programs can accomplish this?

I finally got around to doing this. I think inverting the phase for the centre is good and all, but I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with the LFE in the original (I'm doing this on the DVD-A tracks)? When I boost the LFE by 7.6 dB, the bass is just way too boomy. Just to check, what I'm doing in Audacity is to select the LFE track, go to Effect > Amplify > increase peak amplitude by 7.6 dB. Is this right?

I finally got around to doing this. I think inverting the phase for the centre is good and all, but I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with the LFE in the original (I'm doing this on the DVD-A tracks)? When I boost the LFE by 7.6 dB, the bass is just way too boomy. Just to check, what I'm doing in Audacity is to select the LFE track, go to Effect > Amplify > increase peak amplitude by 7.6 dB. Is this right?
That's how I did it. I like it better with the changes (including the increased LFE... but I liked it just fine before making the changes as well, so go figure)

What I did was go to Effect - Invert for the center channel, highlight the LFE channel and at the bottom of the screen set End of Selection to 00.010s then click the Cut button up top (scissors), then at the left side of the LFE channel, double tap the blue slider (- o +) and a little window pops up and you can set the gain to 7.6. That's the way that I did it with probably the exact same outcome as doing it the other way, I would think. Got the 7.6dB from Plan9's post:

I'm glad someone noticed the LFE channel was also lowered by 7.6dB at mastering (originally to accomodate for the lossy encoding, but this wasn't necessary for the lossless track).
I don't think this will be "corrected" on the new Blu-Ray as the old mastering has been kept (apart from the phase errors).

What I did was go to Effect - Invert for the center channel, highlight the LFE channel and at the bottom of the screen set End of Selection to 00.010s then click the Cut button up top (scissors), then at the left side of the LFE channel, double tap the blue slider (- o +) and a little window pops up and you can set the gain to 7.6. That's the way that I did it with probably the exact same outcome as doing it the other way, I would think. Got the 7.6dB from Plan9's post:

Yeah that's pretty much what I did. I think I'll leave the gain alone for now.

I did the same and it sounds much better now, especially with the LFE boosted. I am so happy I didn't bother with this set.

So the LFE isn't inverted afterall? I'm sure I remember inverting both Center and LFE last time it cropped up in the DVD-A thread.

Back