Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ps. just on Since The Last Goodbye and despite the sound veering on the bright side of things, i'm really really enjoying the surround mix! πŸ₯°
bravo Mr. Parsons you've done it again! wonder if he'd like to take up the multichannel mixing mantle and do some surround mixes of other artists if Mr. Scheiner has gone into full retirement!? πŸ€”
Thanks for the review as those of us in the colonies are still awaiting our copies.,..

1585671247826.png
Quatermass Quatermass

As close as we ever got to a POLL for this one; some interesting back and forth

View attachment 48303 Quatermass Quatermass

As close as we ever got to a POLL for this one; some interesting back and forth

i'd give it a few points for being musically interesting and a few more for them heroically trying to do something surround-y in the face of adversity but.. anymore than a 7 and i'd be questioning Pollsters sanity. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

first impression; track 1 = Centre channel feels pretty prominent in the mix? πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

A few songs are mixed this way (most notably β€œThe Weight”) - I’d guess due to a very limited amount of tracks to play with? OTOH, β€œTo Kingdom Come” and especially β€œWe Can Talk” feel almost like 4-corner quad.

A few songs are mixed this way (most notably β€œThe Weight”) - I’d guess due to a very limited amount of tracks to play with? OTOH, β€œTo Kingdom Come” and especially β€œWe Can Talk” feel almost like 4-corner quad.

just on "The Weight" now, not surround-y at all. i don't remember the same track being like this on the old DVD-A?

edit: next track "We Can Talk" much more like it! as you say its very Quaddy! πŸ₯°

edit 2: maybe they should've fudged/futzed with "The Weight" and upmixed it? really not good.. and its my personal favourite track on the album πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

edit 3: so annoyed i'm ejecting now to go onto something else! πŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Chris Squire : Fish Out Of Water

Disc Out Of Wrap πŸ˜‚

03A60CAD-F82B-4DCC-A005-C9ACC3978141.jpeg

edit: no pressure but if this is more 5.1 boxset balls i'm gonna channel Keith Moon and throw a tv out the window! πŸ₯πŸ€ͺ

edit 2: i wish this had been mixed like the Yes stuff πŸ˜”

edit 3: congested sound, feels Centre channel heavy, some odd mixing decisions that don't really work for me (Centre Back has to be used carefully or that Rear info just appears upfront and any Surround effect is diminished imho).

eject.

Last edited:
Edgar Winter
Jasmining all over the place.
https://www.discogs.com/Edgar-Winter-Jasmine-Nightdreams/release/6549299
The boys in DTS knew how to get the panning done properly.

well.. 'twas not the lovely lads and lasses at DTS, you see.. but the work of the legendary (the one, the only, there'll never be another) Mister Shelly Yakus ('im wot did the somewhat 'meh' multich mix of BΓ–C's "Agents Of Fortune" and the much more betterer Quad of Rick Derringer's "Spring Fever").

now Mister Yakult musta been having a spectacularly good day at the Quad controls back in June 1975 mining the creamy jizzmine with no nightdream terrors because it is, without a doubt, not only one of my all-time top Quads ever but (no hesitation in my miiiind) also one of the absolute tip-top cream of the crop DTS CD releases, ev-errrrrr!! 🎊πŸ₯³πŸŽ€πŸ˜ˆπŸ€—πŸ€©πŸ’¦πŸ†πŸ™πŸ˜‹πŸ₯°

how's the Centre channel working out for you on this one Baggster? 🧐
vague recollections of it maybe being a tad, overegged at times, perhaps.. πŸ€” i'll give it another airing in the corona confinement.
Center is pretty hot. The mix sounds nice though. I think the center carries most of the percussion/drum sounds? Interesting choice.
It does leave the other 4 channels sounding very organic and airy a lot of the time.

from Jasmine Nightdreams to Tangerine Dreams at night πŸ’«πŸŒŸπŸŒ™

another boxset that's been sitting pretty in its cellophane for many a month..

now i'm in search of a good 5.1 mix, hope Mr. Wilson doesn't disappoint!!

cometh the hour, cometh the box set.. itssssss... 🎺

Tangerine Dreams: "In Search Of Hades"

time to slit the shrink.. zzzzippppp.. pour another glass of medicine... glug glug glug.. and we're switched on Bach-ing mad 😁

C1FB506B-4DE1-47EB-88B6-AFF9B581F843.jpeg

edit: well the mix of the first track on the first BD was fabulous and what i believe may have been an upmix (?) thereafter was very Surround-y feeling and noice.
however, musically it was kinda a non-event.. so much so that i hadn't realised the actual album had ended and i'd had the menu background music on a permanent loop the last 25 minutes! well i thought it was kinda going nowhere.. HA!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Back