Prine Retrospective 10/3 Austin City Limits Season Premier

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read that the guy who wrote I Love Rock and Roll died from the virus. Can't remember his name offhand.
Alan Merrill. Very sad. Country musician Joe Diffie has also succumbed to the virus. Though I realize that this is highly unlikely, I sincerely hope that the list ends there.

This morning John Prine’s wife gave an update, stating that his condition was upgraded from critical to stable.
Very happy to hear that. Johns music has always spoke to his generation, his latest called "The Tree of Forgivness" is one of his best ever, I love it.
John, It's not you time yet, God can wait for your music. ;)

This morning John Prine’s wife gave an update, stating that his condition was upgraded from critical to stable.

Unfortunately, she later clarified that "stable" does not mean "improving".

Spent some time earlier trying to get a broadcast-quality copy of "Sam Stone" but everything Tidal has contains what I assumed was a digital glitch near the end during the final "Don't stop..." So I gave up and grabbed my obscure 1974 vinyl compilation and found that what I thought was someone's inability to copy a CD without errors is in fact some oddity baked into the analog master.

It's somewhat less obvious on Tidal's "master audio" version, but it's still there.

Spent some time earlier trying to get a broadcast-quality copy of "Sam Stone" but everything Tidal has contains what I assumed was a digital glitch near the end during the final "Don't stop..." So I gave up and grabbed my obscure 1974 vinyl compilation and found that what I thought was someone's inability to copy a CD without errors is in fact some oddity baked into the analog master.

It's somewhat less obvious on Tidal's "master audio" version, but it's still there.

Made me listen and look. I have the Atlantic 19156-2 CD. I listened to track 4 - Sam Stone because I don't recall ever hearing a digital glitch in the last "Don't stop to count the years" line. Didn't hear it and didn't see it when I viewed it in Sound Forge. I included that 5 second line here and, with luck, a copy of the wave file at 96x magnification. Can you help me understand what you are hearing? Thanks.
John Prine - Sam Stone last Dont stop to count the years.jpg

Attachments

• John Prine - Sam Stone - Extract from CD 1 - Track 4.wav extract Dont stop to count the years.flac
    420.2 KB · Views: 155
Made me listen and look. I have the Atlantic 19156-2 CD. I listened to track 4 - Sam Stone because I don't recall ever hearing a digital glitch in the last "Don't stop to count the years" line. Didn't hear it and didn't see it when I viewed it in Sound Forge. I included that 5 second line here and, with luck, a copy of the wave file at 96x magnification. Can you help me understand what you are hearing? Thanks.
Your sample matches what I hear as well. I don't think the problem is digital (well, it can't be since it's on the vinyl as well), but listen carefully to the word "Don't". *Something* is happening. Try headphones--I literally never once noticed until I did, but now I can't un-hear it. I don't see it on a waveform view either, but I just tried spectral and it's pretty obvious there:

SamStone.JPG

It kinda sounds like tape dropout, but it's odd to me that it would show like that in the spectral view. I'd expect fewer high frequencies rather than a spike.

Back