Kansas "The Absence of Presence" CD+5.1 Blu-Ray coming 6/26/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there was a couple of supposed SQ copies of "Song for America" on eBay:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...are-to-guess-about-this-one-kansas-sq-lp.1730Also, there's this dedicated thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/kansas-in-surround.26139

it is at this stage i ought to make a brief public service announcement;

the DVD in the "Sail On" set from 2004 is, regrettably, from a 5.1 pov a complete steaming hot fake surround turd.

thank you for your co-operation 🙂

Fredblue the expediter and curator of your 5.1 dreams......

fredblue; telling it like it is since 2009.
some begging, a lot of bullshit and way too many bad jokes! 😂

think there'll be a few less QQ Poll 10's dished out by moi since i stopped playing DV Quads and started opening up some of this old 5.1 box set.. stuff! woah 😈

Gotta hit the Kansas trail and see if the local Chiefs can get a smokin' surround mix. :)

i'm not banking on it! 😂 i'm erring on the side of caution unless there's the names Wilson, Elliot, Steven or Scheiner on the package!

preferably a combination of names 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 because i've never heard any Surround mixes by Elliot Wilson or Steven Scheiner, their work may be as bad as whoever did Sail On! 🤣🍻

Has anyone watched the documentary,"Kansas – Miracles out of Nowhere"
If it is good, is it on bluray or just on dvd if someone can point out which would be the one to buy I would appreciate it.

Found an interesting read from a reviewer who had a personal connection to band as a kid. Like hearing these kind of stories.

https://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_review.php?id=1441Excerpt from article I liked:

"In 1973, I was also in Topeka, Kansas not even aware of who these guys were, as I was only seven years old, at the time. By the time I was ten, however, everyone in Topeka knew of the band Kansas, even older people, as proved by my introduction to the band’s music via my grandparent’s Max and Margret Baker who lived on Stratford Road in Topeka.

I was just starting to get into rock and roll music. I had picked up a few albums, yet didn’t have the money to buy records yet, so I got my hands on my older sister’s cheap tape recorder. It sat in my bedroom next to my transistor radio. As I listened to local FM station V-100, I would tape songs onto cassette tapes. My grandfather knew of my newfound interest in music, and during a visit to his house told me that “Mr. and Mrs. Williams, next door, have a son who is in a music combo. I told her you liked music and she said for you to come over and see her.”

Curious, I walked next door and knocked on the William’s front door. Mrs. Williams answered and asked me to come in. She asked me if I was familiar with the band Kansas and showed me her living room wall which was decorated with Gold and Platinum Record awards. My jaw dropped and my eyes became wide, and all I could do was look at those shiny discs before my eyes. I had my own copy of these albums, having purchased them at Paul’s Records & Tapes on the corner of Oakley and Huntoon Street, only a few blocks from the Williams’ home.

Mr. and Mrs. Williams son, it turned out, was none other than Rich Williams of the band Kansas. For the next several years, Mrs. Williams would call me over to her home to give me the latest release by Kansas, or a concert t-shirt, or a tour program, signed by Rich, of course. There was not any way I was not going to be a major Kansas fan with treatment like that! Kansas were then, and are still today, my favorite band… not even Mrs. Williams’ collection of Beatles records could compete with those Gold and Platinum records on her living room wall! I was destined to be a rock nerd from that very moment in time."

I've always liked Kansas, so this will be a must.

It made me think 'when did I first hear Kansas?', and I reckon it was at somebodies house circa late '75 early '76 on the way to see Man play at the Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone!
Me too, but this isn't Kansas. Anything from the debut through Point of Know Return, I'm all in. This reminds me of another Yes situation.

Has anyone watched the documentary,"Kansas – Miracles out of Nowhere"
If it is good, is it on bluray or just on dvd if someone can point out which would be the one to buy I would appreciate it.

Found an interesting read from a reviewer who had a personal connection to band as a kid. Like hearing these kind of stories.

https://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_review.php?id=1441Excerpt from article I liked:

"In 1973, I was also in Topeka, Kansas not even aware of who these guys were, as I was only seven years old, at the time. By the time I was ten, however, everyone in Topeka knew of the band Kansas, even older people, as proved by my introduction to the band’s music via my grandparent’s Max and Margret Baker who lived on Stratford Road in Topeka.

I was just starting to get into rock and roll music. I had picked up a few albums, yet didn’t have the money to buy records yet, so I got my hands on my older sister’s cheap tape recorder. It sat in my bedroom next to my transistor radio. As I listened to local FM station V-100, I would tape songs onto cassette tapes. My grandfather knew of my newfound interest in music, and during a visit to his house told me that “Mr. and Mrs. Williams, next door, have a son who is in a music combo. I told her you liked music and she said for you to come over and see her.”

Curious, I walked next door and knocked on the William’s front door. Mrs. Williams answered and asked me to come in. She asked me if I was familiar with the band Kansas and showed me her living room wall which was decorated with Gold and Platinum Record awards. My jaw dropped and my eyes became wide, and all I could do was look at those shiny discs before my eyes. I had my own copy of these albums, having purchased them at Paul’s Records & Tapes on the corner of Oakley and Huntoon Street, only a few blocks from the Williams’ home.

Mr. and Mrs. Williams son, it turned out, was none other than Rich Williams of the band Kansas. For the next several years, Mrs. Williams would call me over to her home to give me the latest release by Kansas, or a concert t-shirt, or a tour program, signed by Rich, of course. There was not any way I was not going to be a major Kansas fan with treatment like that! Kansas were then, and are still today, my favorite band… not even Mrs. Williams’ collection of Beatles records could compete with those Gold and Platinum records on her living room wall! I was destined to be a rock nerd from that very moment in time."

Speaking of connections to the band, Rich Williams (whom I got to meet) is the uncle of my supervisor at the job I had before I quit 3 years ago. She and Rich didn't have a close relationship, though. Her mother (Rich's sister) has two of Rich's gold records in a box in her basement - one for Leftoverture, one for POKR. I begged her to let me come over to see them, but that wasn't to be.

In 2003 they made a concert DVD called Device Voice Drum, which was filmed at a 1,000-seat venue in Atlanta which I attended. I and the other 999 people got to meet each member of the band the night before the filming, and we all watched them in rehearsal from the stadium-style seats. The next night was the filming for real, and it was really fun. Every one of the attendees were diehard Kansas fans from coast to coast and I even met a few from Europe who had come over to attend the show. It was fun watching the concert start and then stop abruptly when Phil broke a drumstick or Robbie forgot to sing a line. It was like being in a recording studio, which we kinda were, and seeing stuff go south every once in a while, causing them to abort the song and do another take or 2. The band had a lot of fun. The night before, in rehearsal, they let the whole venue sing along with them and play our air instruments. They seemed to enjoy playing in front of all these rabid fans who knew every note and every lyric. On filming night though, they made it clear we were NOT to sing or do any of that stuff because they needed to get a lot of crowd shots in the video. That was an experience I'll never forget.

Oh, almost forgot. Robbie Steinhardt is from Lawrence, KS, home of the Univ. of Kansas, my alma mater. Rock chalk Jayhawk!

Big Kansas Fan here. I restored all the RIAA Gold and Platinum Record awards which were issued to the man that discovered Kansas and got them signed (WALLY GOLD). His son Eric let me keep a few of them. Here is a link to a small part of my Gold Record Collection which features 14 Kansas Gold/Platinum awards....ENJOY!!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/riaagoldrecords/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1894055367341626

I have Audio Visions of Kansas in 5.1. Such a tremendous catalog going waaaay back in time. BTW - another member mentioned Device Voice Drum. Incredible audio and video --and musicianship. Buy it - it will not disappoint
kansas.jpg

Back