Capricorn Records / Allman Bros. Band (a tiny bit of quad history)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Inspired by a small discussion in the "Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2" thread, I did a little digging around the trade magazines of the era and found a few news snippets circa '74/'75 about Capricorn's quad remix program, which sadly ended just about as quickly as it began.

There are no major revelations, but the articles do provide pretty firm release dates for both At Fillmore West (mid-November 1974) and Eat a Peach (March 7th, 1975) and there is confirmation that Brothers and Sisters album was next in line to be released in quad after Eat a Peach - I do wonder if that was ever mixed or not. What maybe is "new" news is that one of the articles says that albums by Wet Willie, The Marshall Tucker Band and Elvin Bishop were due to follow after Brothers and Sisters. Ovie Sparks (QQ's own @epaladin ) is mentioned in a couple of these articles - I'm hoping he might see this if he drops by these parts again in the future.

It's such a shame that Warner/Atlantic (Capricorn's distributor) pulled the plug on their quad involvement partway through 1975 (probably not long after Eat a Peach was released in quad) or we may have got some of these mixes. From what I gather on Wikipedia, after a failed buyout attempt from Warner in 1975 Capricorn's distribution moved to PolyGram, who seemingly had no interest in quad at all, at least not in North America - they did some QS and CD-4 LPs in Japan, and those weird James Last Q8's in Canada.

Cash Box Magazine - November 2nd, 1974
Cashbox-1974-11-02-p.12---Capricorn-quad-(ABB-Fillmore).jpg

Cash Box Magazine - November 23rd, 1974
Cashbox-1974-11-23-p.16---Capricorn-quad-(ABB-Fillmore).jpg

Cash Box Magazine - March 15th, 1975
Cashbox-1975-03-15-p.20---Capricorn-quad-(ABB-Eat-a-Peach).jpg

I thought I had at one time seen Brothers & Sisters in Mark Anderson's discography, so every time I saw a copy I'd pause on it. I finally looked it up again, got myself straightened out, and stopped looking that album over for a quad copy. Bizarre coincidence.

Inspired by a small discussion in the "Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2" thread, I did a little digging around the trade magazines of the era and found a few news snippets circa '74/'75 about Capricorn's quad remix program, which sadly ended just about as quickly as it began.

There are no major revelations, but the articles do provide pretty firm release dates for both At Fillmore West (mid-November 1974) and Eat a Peach (March 7th, 1975) and there is confirmation that Brothers and Sisters album was next in line to be released in quad after Eat a Peach - I do wonder if that was ever mixed or not. What maybe is "new" news is that one of the articles says that albums by Wet Willie, The Marshall Tucker Band and Elvin Bishop were due to follow after Brothers and Sisters. Ovie Sparks (QQ's own @epaladin ) is mentioned in a couple of these articles - I'm hoping he might see this if he drops by these parts again in the future.

It's such a shame that Warner/Atlantic (Capricorn's distributor) pulled the plug on their quad involvement partway through 1975 (probably not long after Eat a Peach was released in quad) or we may have got some of these mixes. From what I gather on Wikipedia, after a failed buyout attempt from Warner in 1975 Capricorn's distribution moved to PolyGram, who seemingly had no interest in quad at all, at least not in North America - they did some QS and CD-4 LPs in Japan, and those weird James Last Q8's in Canada.

Cash Box Magazine - November 2nd, 1974
View attachment 48279

Cash Box Magazine - November 23rd, 1974
View attachment 48280

Cash Box Magazine - March 15th, 1975
View attachment 48281
Thank you Steelydave, this is real fun info to have. I was most interested to see that The Marshall Tucker Band almost got the Quad treatment. The thread that says something like What is your dream surround bands I mention two, one being The Marshall Tucker Band and the other is Ten Tears After, minus A Space In Time of course.

Thanks again steelydave. This kind of info is priceless and I hope the membership appreciates posts like this of yours because I know how much work they involve and they make it so easy for us to research stuff when we need it, and it's just so damned interesting.

Great job

I thought I had at one time seen Brothers & Sisters in Mark Anderson's discography, so every time I saw a copy I'd pause on it. I finally looked it up again, got myself straightened out, and stopped looking that album over for a quad copy. Bizarre coincidence.
B&S is listed on the Not Released discography. Catalog number was issued but that was all

Back