Available in quad on sampler only?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

Has there already been a discussion of this? I was listening to the Radio Shack/Realistic/Columbia Special Products sampler album "Back to Bernstein." One of the tracks is Leonard Bernstein conducting the 4th Tableau from Stravinsky's 'Petrouchka Suite' (aka "The Shrove-Tide Fair"). Checking my files, it doesn't appear that a quad version of the entire piece was ever released. It got me to thinking if there are other instances of this, whether classical, popular, or jazz. I seem to recall there was one Joe Walsh track from his 'So What' album that got put on a quad sampler even though the album wasn't released in quad. Help me out here, people.

Last edited:
Interesting regarding the Bernstein - and you're sure it's not the Boulez version, released a scant two years later, right? Doesn't seem this was ever issued in quad: Bernstein* Conducts Stravinsky*, New York Philharmonic* - Petrushka (Complete) / Firebird Suite

Edit to add: Yeah, Boulez wouldn't be on "Back to Bernstein." Interesting. I'd be curious to see more.

Second edit: Okay, it's "Bach to Bernstein," with two cuts from Wendy Carlos and four from Bernstein. Looks like the others are from the Verdi Requiem, Bernstein's Mass, and Also Sprach Zarathustra.

A11PARwXo2L._SL700_.jpg

There's that fairly common GRT Quad Sampler Q 7101-101 that has a few tracks that don't appear anywhere else!

Jack McDuff - Up, Up and Away
John Klemmer - Can't take my eyes off you
Woody Herman - Light my Fire

And I'll have to listen again, but I think B.B. King's "Ghetto Woman" is the studio cut on this tape, and is not the Live version from "Live in London". But don't quote me on that, I'll check and maybe re-edit this post.

Interesting regarding the Bernstein - and you're sure it's not the Boulez version, released a scant two years later, right? Doesn't seem this was ever issued in quad: Bernstein* Conducts Stravinsky*, New York Philharmonic* - Petrushka (Complete) / Firebird Suite

Edit to add: Yeah, Boulez wouldn't be on "Back to Bernstein." Interesting. I'd be curious to see more.

Second edit: Okay, it's "Bach to Bernstein," with two cuts from Wendy Carlos and four from Bernstein. Looks like the others are from the Verdi Requiem, Bernstein's Mass, and Also Sprach Zarathustra.

A11PARwXo2L._SL700_.jpg
Nice to see the explicit credit to Benjamin Folkman on the Wendy Carlos tracks. We worked together at WKCR in the early 60's.

I took out my quad copy of "Beethoven's Greatest Hits" on Columbia and started looking for the source albums. Other than the Switched-On Bach stuff, every track on that release was mixed to quad specifically for the album. The source albums were not mixed to quad. I don't have the other albums in the series so I can't speak to them but I'm wondering if it's the same with them. Columbia's commitment to quad was a mixed bag (pun intended), in that they would mix individual tracks to quad just for these sampler albums without doing the whole original albums themselves. Then again, Columbia never did get into making quad reel tapes even though they did 8-tracks.

I took out my quad copy of "Beethoven's Greatest Hits" on Columbia and started looking for the source albums. Other than the Switched-On Bach stuff, every track on that release was mixed to quad specifically for the album. The source albums were not mixed to quad. I don't have the other albums in the series so I can't speak to them but I'm wondering if it's the same with them. Columbia's commitment to quad was a mixed bag (pun intended), in that they would mix individual tracks to quad just for these sampler albums without doing the whole original albums themselves. Then again, Columbia never did get into making quad reel tapes even though they did 8-tracks.
So, I'd actually love to hear this in quad...looks like one side of miscellaneous fun stuff, and then the whole second side is the finale from Beethoven's 9th, the Ormandy recording with the Mormon Tabernacle. No way quad LP did this justice...

https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-Beethovens-Greatest-Hits/release/6774517

A few others - I'm sort of especially interested in the Chopin one, since it's all orchestrations of the sort which are lovely and entirely out of fashion now (and I don't know if they're otherwise available). Also the Bach one, which is mostly once again Ormandy/Philadelphia in old-fashioned orchestrations

https://www.discogs.com/Chopin-Chopins-Greatest-Hits/release/3817547https://www.discogs.com/Mozart-Mozarts-Greatest-Hits/release/4349697https://www.discogs.com/Bernstein-N...ikovskys-Greatests-Hits-Vol-1/release/5214223https://www.discogs.com/Bach-Bachs-Greatest-Hits-Vol-1/release/1631699https://www.discogs.com/Johann-Stra...-Johann-Strauss-Greatest-Hits/release/4648287

There's a Raspberries song on a sampler, I forget the title.
On a Magnavox sampler - Don't Want To Say Goodbye - Raspberries
a couple others
The Circle Game - Ian and Silvia - Vanguard sampler vsq-1x
Alchemy Is Good For You - Roundhouse - Grundig sampler from Germany
There is a Fisher sampler with several quad tunes only on that sampler.

Seeing this thread spurred me to update my thread with the list of RCA 'PQ8' series tapes to include all the 'PCQ8' demo/compilation tapes that were issued during the same (1970-1972) period.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the first post there's a new table with a list of these tapes, and the links in the catalog numbers will take you to discogs pages for each of these tapes where I've noted in the comments section the unique tracks and the original stereo albums they're culled from. Artists include Arthur Fiedler, Hugo Montenegro, Henry Mancini, Marilyn Maye, Eydie Gorme, Claus Ogerman, Marty Gold, and Danny Davis & The Nashville Brass.

The Japanese release, SQ 4 Channel Stereo, contains "Time After Time" by Paul Revere & The Raiders, "I Stand Alone" by Al Kooper and "Season of the Witch" by Al Kooper and Steven Stills a different version than the one on "Super Session" and "Eli's Coming" by Laura Nyro. Various - SQ 4 Channel Stereo Lots of copies for sale, I recommend it.

Does that version by any chance have two vocals at the same time?
Yes it does, it actually sounds a bit odd the vocal is not centred either, still I always love hearing alternate versions of my favourite tracks. They liked to be adventurous on some of the early mixes.

I'm actually going to solidify my suggestion to @steelydave that Dutton-Vocalion look at doing a pairing of the Bach and Chopin "Greatest Hits" albums. As far as I can tell the Chopin album not only is mostly material never released on CD, but it looks like a lot of it was never otherwise released on LP as well - the Chopin Nocturne is on an album called "Nocturne," but that's it. The Kostelanetz selections also seem to be not on CD, while the Entremont solo selections are in this box: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Piano-Recordings-PHILIPPE-ENTREMONT/dp/B07KM16V35/. For the Bach Album, there was a CD release 31 years ago, but not since, except for a OOP Japanese reissue: https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Album-Eugene-Ormandy/dp/B00ET820VQ

Any thoughts on how these albums sound?

41851JAMEEL.jpg

Yes it does, it actually sounds a bit odd the vocal is not centred either, still I always love hearing alternate versions of my favourite tracks. They liked to be adventurous on some of the early mixes.

Interesting! I heard that version ONCE back when they did the discrete quad test here in California back in...uhh...whenever it was. Someone put together a DVD-A of half the show a few years back, but unfortunately it's not the half that contained that song.

I just assumed it was the standard quad mix and was surprised to learn that it wasn't when I finally got the SQ record decades later.

Back