SACD's rebirth in Hong Kong

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

中文 or 日本人
しかし、あなたはまだブルースを持っていますか?
Thank you Peter Green...

Peter Green-LP-1.jpg

Only a thousand, hmm 🧐

Based on its online store, the western SACD titles from Hong Kong Universal Music are typically restricted to be sold in the city of HK and Macau only. Probably because HK Universal only has the rights to sell the SACD in those 2 cities only.

As for the 1,000 copies pressed, that's probably referring to the first 1,000 copies being individually numbered. There may be additional copies pressed but without being numbered.

Last edited:
Contents of Universal Hong Kong's MEMORY LANE MEMORY SACD [PRESSED in JAPAN]

Selections
  1. Your Song - Elton John
  2. Dream a Little Dream of Me - The Mamas & The Papas
  3. Father and Son - Cat Stevens
  4. Handbags & Gladrags - Rod Stewart
  5. Green Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones
  6. Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand) - Diana Ross
  7. All I Have to Do is Dream - Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell
  8. All Kinds of Everything - Dana
  9. Come Saturday Morning - The Sandpipers
  10. My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder
  11. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
  12. I'll Be There - Jackson 5
  13. What Becomes of The Broke Hearted - Diana Ross & The Supremes
  14. Interlude - Timi Yuro
  15. If You Go Away - Scott Walker
  16. The Last Waltz - Engelbert Humperdinck
  17. All Right Now - Free
  18. The Look of Love - Dusty Springfield
  19. I'll Never Fall In Love Again - Bobbie Gentry
  20. What the World Needs Now Is Love - Burt Bacharach

In fact, there’s out two new boxes 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
View attachment 49820

These 2 boxsets are big sellers. Surprisingly, both of Faye Wong's boxsets are taking a backseat to Shirley Kwan's. And Shirley Kwan severed her relationship with HK Universal Music just 2 weeks ago in a very public and unamiable way.

HK Universal Music still hasn't gotten to Faye Wong's albums on HK EMI, which HK Universal now controls.

Several newsworthy items involving Hong Kong SACD releases....
  • The annual HK High-End Audio Video Show, which usually takes place in early August of each year, is postponed due to the coronavirus until further notice. Since the postponement of the annual HK Audio Video show was not announced until last week, some music companies that planned to promote their new software during the show will go ahead with their planned releases.
  • HK Universal Music, the city's biggest music company, has announced the release of 8 SHM-SACD titles for its local artists. Given the company's past sales strategy, there's talk of another pending announcement for a batch of hybrid SACD titles (possibly 8-10 titles). For 2020, HK Universal Music has already released 52 SACD titles (not counting the 8 announced SHM-SACD titles), approximately 91% of all SACD titles released in HK.
  • Crown Records, one of the early adopters of the SACD format in HK (and the only music company in HK to release a DVD-A), has announced 4 new SACD titles. This marks the first 4 new SACD release since July of 2019, when all Crown Records releases were halted after financial issues involving the company that licenses the titles for release. I guess the financial issues were worked out. While Crown Records no longer issues new releases (the company has been dormant since the early 2000s and went through some form of asset liquidation, including the sale of its recording studio), its catalog is of very significant pop culture value to the HK populace. Like HK Universal Music, its SACDs are pressed by Sony in Japan (Crown Records has a long history of using Sony DADC, in both Japan and HK, to press its CDs and SACDs).
  • No news from HK Sony or HK Warner Records.

Hong Kong Universal Music's poster for its latest 8 SHM-SACD releases....

50137246861_0eabf11aee_c.jpg

Crown Records just released its first 4 new SACD titles in a year....

50148450596_1ddabeef5c_c.jpg

• There are rumors that both HK Sony Music and HK Warner Records are suspending the release of physical media.
  • Also rumors of 10 hybrid stereo SACD titles from HK Universal Music being readied for release in early August.

Hong Kong Universal Music is set to release its first 4 classical music SACDs....

52122045765_fe5c1e9c1c_c.jpg

While HK Universal Music has its own web store, but these SACDs are restricted for sale to only HK and Macau. Regardless, importedcds.com has these 4 titles list on the website already.

Hong Kong Universal Music is set to release its first 4 classical music SACDs....

52122045765_fe5c1e9c1c_c.jpg

While HK Universal Music has its own web store, but these SACDs are restricted for sale to only HK and Macau. Regardless, importedcds.com has these 4 titles list on the website already.

Soundboy, I'm assuming all are STEREO SACDS?

Back