Greg Penny Interviewed about his work in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
great interview with the amazing Mr. Penny

some hot info contained within;

1.) He has already mixed over 200 songs in Atmos,

2.) Elton asked him to mix his entire catalogue in Atmos,

3.) He has already mixed Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Madman Across The Water, plus all the Hits from the "Diamonds" compilation, in Atmos and is working on Captain Fantastic.

3.) He has already mixed Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Madman Across The Water, plus all the Hits from the "Diamonds" compilation, in Atmos and is working on Captain Fantastic.

GIGANTIC NEWS, ADAM.

Greg has also remixed Rolling Stones, Queen, Tears for Fears and Katy Perry in ATMOS but what I don't understand, he's working with Amazon and their ECHO STUDIO consortium.

No mention these albums or tracks will be available in physical form.

SURE HOPE SO.

And what a lovely Man Greg Penny is .... and wonderful to hear his son is also involved in the mixing process, as well.

Last edited:
I've listened again...he sure likes the Amazon surround gizmo. It seems that Amazon have signed up a whole bunch of surround mixers to get a production line of Atmos releases ready for the updated Echo box!! Including our very own Steve Genewick.

I can hear the old cynic in me saying.....Money talks!!

Humm :unsure:

Like Ralphie, I too get the good vibes back from Greg with his passion for immersive sounds.

Please let there be physical copies available!!

Well there is a glimmer of hope Adam, that we shall see the light of these classics in Atmos being released.
As long as it's not heading for the Amazon, total pile of 3D s..t, that they want to churn out.
Great he said; "we have a very busy year ahead!"
But not sure how "Unfolding" to a great immersive surround mix and Echo Studio computes with me. 🤨
[/QUOT]

AMAZON'S THIRD GENERATION ECHO SPEAKER IN TWILIGHT BLUE(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

61D%2B3FTZ3ML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

to the sceptics i would say; those speaker device thingies may be "smart" but Greg is smart too. we know he has been trying to get more Elton in surround / surround music out there for years. i would say he's seized the opportunity and embraced the current technology offering in order to try and make that happen and in the process has really taken to the process of mixing in Atmos. lets maybe see how things pan out down the line when the dust settles after the pandemic, etc.

to the sceptics i would say; those speaker device thingies may be "smart" but Greg is smart too. we know he has been trying to get more Elton in surround / surround music out there for years. i would say he's seized the opportunity and embraced the current technology offering in order to try and make that happen and in the process has really taken to the process of mixing in Atmos. lets maybe see how things pan out down the line when the dust settles after the pandemic, etc.

I feel all warm, you know...down there.

Well, I'd rather hear those unreleased 5.1's than get Madman, GYBR, and Captain F all over again. And if this winds up being restricted to (Amazon Echo) streaming, then it's all for naught, as far as I'm concerned.

But fingers crossed--these days we should take good news wherever we can find it. And Penny is a lovely guy.

Last edited:

Agreed, Adam. With Jeff Bezos' $$$$$ and Dolby Labs ingenuity, I'm sure Greg's efforts will hardly be in vain.

Besides, one day JEFF BEZOS will own the world and I'm sure he's always had grandiose ambitions to own Hollywood Studios and Record Companies and this will surely be a step in the right direction.

AND QUADRAPHONICQUADFORUM WILL HAVE TO CHANGE ITS NAME TO .......... drumroll🥁 ........ ATMOS AVENUE Dolby Atmos

Indeed, everyone here knows that Greg Penny is a top-notch engineer and one of the few who truly "gets" surround music. To me, it seems incredibly unlikely (or impossible, really) that he's gone from making some of the best 5.1 mixes ever to mixing for Amazon speakers. This news certainly beats years of silence regarding the four unreleased titles :)

Well, I'd rather hear those unreleased 5.1's than get Madman, GYBR, and Captain F all over again. And if this winds up being restricted to Amazon Echo streaming, then it's all for naught, as far as I'm concerned.

But fingers crossed--these days we should take good news wherever we can find it. And Penny is a lovely guy.

absolutely, i'd rather we had those unreleased mixes too.. but.. knowing what a pita the whole thing is/was wrt the status of the Elton 5.1's (can't go into details on the open forum but it's crazy we almost got those mixes released.. and this is just in the last few years.. only to have the rug pulled by what smacked of short-sightedness and dare i say it, greed). oh well.. this is all we've got right now. fingers crossed for a good outcome 🤞
and as our man RT would say "hope springs eternal" 🌈🤩

Back