QQ Comedy Shtick Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
We ALL could use a good laugh. So, this thread is dedicated to funny routines, etc. I look forward to everyone sharing fave clips.

Guidelines:
1- Must be 10 minute or less clip
2- NO religious, ethnic or racial stereotypes, slurs, etc. PLEASE!
3- NO politics

Let's start with the late, great Ralph Verrone. You probably know him as Jackie Vernon. He appeared on many TV shows: Dean Martin, Ed Sullivan, Flip Wilson and many others. Or, perhaps you know him as the voice of Frosty the Snowman in the perennial CBS holiday cartoon.

I have an LP of his "The Day My Rocking Horse Died." Stories of him applying for unemployment: "What kind of work do you do?" the guy in the unemployment office asks. "I'm a shepherd. It's no picnic taking sheep on the subway..."

Here's Vernon roasting Milton Berle:

Bob Newhart who most of you youngsters know as a sit com guy was a tremendous stand up comic in the '60s. His "Abe Lincoln" bit about marketing Abe is a classic, but since we're in baseball season and it's not happeneing, here is his baseball bit. Classic. There are plenty of modern comedians who are hilarious, but the simplicity of this bit even in 2020 is still damn funny.

We caught local boy Bob Newhart live at the Hemmens in Elgin, IL a few years ago. He's from Oak Park, IL originally. It was before the Cubs won the World Series. "Being a Cub fan prepares you for life..." "I get nervous when things are going too well. I know I'm bound to screw things up..."

A girlfriend has both those original Newhart and Freberg albums you guys excerpted. I bought both and many other Cosby and Carlin albums. I even felt a little squeamish about having bought Cos' albums. I only bought every one from the 1st (Noah! "What?!?") through the 1969 2 LP 8:15 & 12:15 on Tetragrammaton. Long before all the accusations, etc. I bought all the Carlin albums on RCA & Little David LP's. I rebought the Little David Years Carlin CD box w/bonus unreleased disc and lenticular cover.

One more: Red Skelton from 1952. It's a routine he began in 1935 long before Lucy.

Last edited:
We ALL could use a good laugh. So, this thread is dedicated to funny routines, etc. I look forward to everyone sharing fave clips.

Guidelines:
1- Must be 10 minute or less clip
2- NO religious, ethnic or racial stereotypes, slurs, etc. PLEASE!
3- NO politics

Let's start with the late, great Ralph Verrone. You probably know him as Jackie Vernon. He appeared on many TV shows: Dean Martin, Ed Sullivan, Flip Wilson and many others. Or, perhaps you know him as the voice of Frosty the Snowman in the perennial CBS holiday cartoon.

I have an LP of his "The Day My Rocking Horse Died." Stories of him applying for unemployment: "What kind of work do you do?" the guy in the unemployment office asks. "I'm a shepherd. It's no picnic taking sheep on the subway..."

Here's Vernon roasting Milton Berle:

GREAT idea, QL! You started with a chicken joke, so here's a chicken, a cow, and a duck.

Okay. Short confession: I've been on the ropes for the last . . . well, too long, but it's been pooty bad the last few weeks. I've tried to ease the pain by listening to LOTS of music (has anyone noticed that?). I won't get into specifics about what I'm battling, but suffice it to say it's been dark (not scary DARK . . . rather it's terrifying, insidious dark). And QL starts this thread, and I smile and even post a duck joke. And then I remember the power of laughter and a "lead" I saw back in rehab. Watching it again reminds me just how simple the solution is for me: eternal vigilance and connection to community. Thanks, Linda--you may have saved my life!

Stay Surrounded, Comrades

Back