Audio conversion solution help needed - any "out of the box" thinkers :-)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surreysteve

Hiya All

I have a Sky Q box (Optical out) and an Oppo203 plus an Arcam AVR350

The Oppo and the Arcam work great together playing Bluray/DVD and I can also network stream through the Oppo - this is all good and working beautifully :)

My issue is that the Arcams optical inputs have failed (which I'm told is a common problem in these old Arcams) this means that my Sky Optical output is now reundant and i'm listening through the TV speakers :) I believe the optical connectors are the only digital input to the Arcam as it's an old device.

I don't want to throw away a perfectly good amp so I'm trying to think outside the box and somehow route the Sky Q Optical output through the Oppo (if this is possible) or to convert it to an Analogue signal and connect the the Arcams analogue inputs (in as high a quality manner as possible).

I think my 2 options are:

1. Convert Sky Q Optical Out and route through the Oppo HDMI digital IN somehow - is this a workable solution? Does such a device exist?

2. More likely? Convert the Sky Q Optical Out to analogue in as high quality manner as possible and connect to Arcam analogue inouts

I'm sure there are people here who know far more about this than me and any recommendations as to how to go and what kit would do a good job would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe :)

Steve

Hiya All

I have a Sky Q box (Optical out) and an Oppo203 plus an Arcam AVR350

The Oppo and the Arcam work great together playing Bluray/DVD and I can also network stream through the Oppo - this is all good and working beautifully :)

My issue is that the Arcams optical inputs have failed (which I'm told is a common problem in these old Arcams) this means that my Sky Optical output is now reundant and i'm listening through the TV speakers :) I believe the optical connectors are the only digital input to the Arcam as it's an old device.

I don't want to throw away a perfectly good amp so I'm trying to think outside the box and somehow route the Sky Q Optical output through the Oppo (if this is possible) or to convert it to an Analogue signal and connect the the Arcams analogue inputs (in as high a quality manner as possible).

I think my 2 options are:

1. Convert Sky Q Optical Out and route through the Oppo HDMI digital IN somehow - is this a workable solution? Does such a device exist?

2. More likely? Convert the Sky Q Optical Out to analogue in as high quality manner as possible and connect to Arcam analogue inouts

I'm sure there are people here who know far more about this than me and any recommendations as to how to go and what kit would do a good job would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe :)

Steve
I have Sky Box (not Q) you could connect via the HDMI to your Oppo HDMI input, switching to it when you want via the remote - it was the way I initially connected my NUC to my Amp (due to HDCP compatibility issues)

Monoprice does make a optical to hdmi converter for $47. Here is a link.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5971
I have Sky Box (not Q) you could connect via the HDMI to your Oppo HDMI input, switching to it when you want via the remote - it was the way I initially connected my NUC to my Amp (due to HDCP compatibility issues)

Thats a great idea...don't know how I hadnt spotted that, Have tried and works very nicely so far :)

Thanks

Back