Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Quad People;
I signed up months ago and read when I can. I've been in this business since 1973. I started in an audio store and worked through the quad era. I started with a Lafayette integrated amp and once I got into the business I got Marantz and Pioneer Quad gear but as time went on I gravitated to high end and sold all the quad gear except for the Lafayette. I ended up becoming a rep and worked with Sony ( Tape and Headphone divisions ) among other company's ( we were independent reps so I repped Marantz and others ). In 1993 I started my own store in my home town, Williamsport, Pa, called The Stereo Shoppe.
I was happy to come back to multi-channel audio with SACD and DVD-A and now BluRay Audio. I now have a high end 2 channel system and a what I call a "Home Theater" system in my basement. I call it a "Home Theater" because that is what people think it is, in reality it is my Muti-channel listening system. With my family room TV and the two systems I just mentioned I have 3 OPPO BluRay players, two of them running multi-channel.
So Quadaphonicquad was a great discovery for me, especially as a resource for finding new releases and one's I've somehow missed. I am a big fan of Steven Wilson and his mixing skills. My favorite types of music are Prog and Jazz ( big band and of course fusion). In Prog my favorite is King Crimson who I've seen 7 times starting in 1974. So I am very happy that so much Crimso and Prog in general has been released in multi-channel.
So I've done it I am out of the shadows and look forward to being a part of the quadraphonic quad world! Joe

Welcome aboard J and looks like you will fit right in with our crazy bunch :LB :LB :LB :LB

As you probably already know, lotta koo awesome nice knowledgeable people here, so if any questions......ask away. :hi

Hi everybody.

Although I registered some months ago, I've been visiting the forum for a long time as every time I asked Google it pointed at here. I'm a music lover, a Metal fan \m/ and a surround freak. I love movies too, specially Sci-Fi.

The main part of my collection is composed of Hard Rock and Metal, from "classical metal" to some extreme metal genres. However I try to grab all the surround music I can, specially Progressive Rock. So I own a lot of DVD-A/V, SACD, BD of Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Queen, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Rush, The Pinneaple Thief... and some other like Depeche Mode, Mike Oldfield, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Yazoo, Alan Parsons. And, as all the roads lead to Ro... ehem, I mean Steven Wilson, I have a lot of surround albums of Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Storm Corrosion, Anathema or Opeth as well.

I'm from Spain and English is not my native language but I hope I can contribute to the forum within my possibilities.

Hi everybody.

Although I registered some months ago, I've been visiting the forum for a long time as every time I asked Google it pointed at here. I'm a music lover, a Metal fan \m/ and a surround freak. I love movies too, specially Sci-Fi.

The main part of my collection is composed of Hard Rock and Metal, from "classical metal" to some extreme metal genres. However I try to grab all the surround music I can, specially Progressive Rock. So I own a lot of DVD-A/V, SACD, BD of Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Queen, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Rush, The Pinneaple Thief... and some other like Depeche Mode, Mike Oldfield, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Yazoo, Alan Parsons. And, as all the roads lead to Ro... ehem, I mean Steven Wilson, I have a lot of surround albums of Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Storm Corrosion, Anathema or Opeth as well.

I'm from Spain and English is not my native language but I hope I can contribute to the forum within my possibilities.

Welcome aboard Karonte and you are amongst a few surround metal heads here toooooooo :rocks :LB :rocks

Glad ya made a post and happy you are liking the QQ experience :SB

ya already know everybody here is koo and friendly cept that Snood dood :unsure: me heard that name somewhere before :unsure::SB

Hi everybody.

Hi. Karonte
QQ is a international station for surround minded people great to have you on board and please ask questions and give your on opinions as well...
BBQ....

Hi everybody.

Bienvenido, Karonte!

Quadraphonic Quad truly is a diverse and international site where everyone and their input is appreciated and where you’ll get exposed to great music and great friends. Enjoy!

Hello Quad People;
I signed up months ago and read when I can. I've been in this business since 1973. I started in an audio store and worked through the quad era. I started with a Lafayette integrated amp and once I got into the business I got Marantz and Pioneer Quad gear but as time went on I gravitated to high end and sold all the quad gear except for the Lafayette. I ended up becoming a rep and worked with Sony ( Tape and Headphone divisions ) among other company's ( we were independent reps so I repped Marantz and others ). In 1993 I started my own store in my home town, Williamsport, Pa, called The Stereo Shoppe.
I was happy to come back to multi-channel audio with SACD and DVD-A and now BluRay Audio. I now have a high end 2 channel system and a what I call a "Home Theater" system in my basement. I call it a "Home Theater" because that is what people think it is, in reality it is my Muti-channel listening system. With my family room TV and the two systems I just mentioned I have 3 OPPO BluRay players, two of them running multi-channel.
So Quadaphonicquad was a great discovery for me, especially as a resource for finding new releases and one's I've somehow missed. I am a big fan of Steven Wilson and his mixing skills. My favorite types of music are Prog and Jazz ( big band and of course fusion). In Prog my favorite is King Crimson who I've seen 7 times starting in 1974. So I am very happy that so much Crimso and Prog in general has been released in multi-channel.
So I've done it I am out of the shadows and look forward to being a part of the quadraphonic quad world! Joe
Welcome to QQ, Joe!

Hello Quad People;
Welcome @jmyers nice to have you here. Boogie your mind and your ass will follow
IMG_1646flipcrop.jpg

Hello Ladies & Gents, I am Ivan in Alaska.

I just joined as i am the proud new ( third ) owner of a like new 49 y/o RCVR: Sansui QR 6500. I am 55 Y/O, i have wanted a quad receiver ever since i listened to one back in the early 1980's. A minty one popped up on craigslist ( a rare occurrence here in Alaska ) and i was the lucky first responder. It came with the owners manual, the service manual, the warranty card, a large laminated card that shows the info on the both the front controls and the back connections AND a little booklet titled " The wonderful World of FOUR CHANNELS " ( original owner was a Sansui dealer in New Jersey. )

It was a package deal including 4 Pioneer CS-66 speakers in great shape. ( and the original owners guide for them )

I have a Pioneer PL55DX ( Another recent acquisition from CL ) that will need a shibata stylus now that i have a Quad Receiver. I think i need a new cartridge for it as I believe the one that came with it is not optimal for quad? It is marked as V40A, from my research it seems to be an AudioTechnica AT10 rebranded by Kenwood, the stylus was bent.

My everyday TT is a Dual 1219, Love it. I have been running it Through my Denon AVR-3310CI.

I set up the QR 6500 with the Dual and pair of Sansui SP 1500's in STEREO and have been loving it for last 3 days.
I am going to recap the 1500s but they are not bad, the surrounds are very stiff so i need to learn if i should re-surround them or if there is some way to soften them up ( they are not torn, just stiff from age, like me. )

I also have pair of Acoustic Research AR2ax's that are awaiting a recap and pair of Marantz Imperial G-5's.
What i do not have is enough space.

So to recap ( pun intended ) i am i need of a shibata stylus or cart/stylus and more quad LP's.

I have a few LP's of varying "quad" formats somewhere that i have been saving thinking i would need them someday, ( it is now someday )
I look forward to learning from this great resource.
Ivan.

IMG_5925_1.jpg

IMG_5926_1.jpg

IMG_5927_1.jpg

IMG_5928_1.jpg

IMG_5929_1.jpg

:LB Suppppppppppppppppppppppper Koooooo Alaska Man - some nice stuff there and welcome aboard QQ :LB

You just found a wealth of info and koo Surrounds buds to bounce stuff off of, so ask Away and feel to post almost anything Surround wise. :rocks

Hello Ladies & Gents, I am Ivan in Alaska.

I just joined as i am the proud new ( third ) owner of a like new 49 y/o RCVR: Sansui QR 6500. I am 55 Y/O, i have wanted a quad receiver ever since i listened to one back in the early 1980's. A minty one popped up on craigslist ( a rare occurrence here in Alaska ) and i was the lucky first responder. It came with the owners manual, the service manual, the warranty card, a large laminated card that shows the info on the both the front controls and the back connections AND a little booklet titled " The wonderful World of FOUR CHANNELS " ( original owner was a Sansui dealer in New Jersey. )

It was a package deal including 4 Pioneer CS-66 speakers in great shape. ( and the original owners guide for them )

I have a Pioneer PL55DX ( Another recent acquisition from CL ) that will need a shibata stylus now that i have a Quad Receiver. I think i need a new cartridge for it as I believe the one that came with it is not optimal for quad? It is marked as V40A, from my research it seems to be an AudioTechnica AT10 rebranded by Kenwood, the stylus was bent.

My everyday TT is a Dual 1219, Love it. I have been running it Through my Denon AVR-3310CI.

I set up the QR 6500 with the Dual and pair of Sansui SP 1500's in STEREO and have been loving it for last 3 days.
I am going to recap the 1500s but they are not bad, the surrounds are very stiff so i need to learn if i should re-surround them or if there is some way to soften them up ( they are not torn, just stiff from age, like me. )

I also have pair of Acoustic Research AR2ax's that are awaiting a recap and pair of Marantz Imperial G-5's.
What i do not have is enough space.

So to recap ( pun intended ) i am i need of a shibata stylus or cart/stylus and more quad LP's.

I have a few LP's of varying "quad" formats somewhere that i have been saving thinking i would need them someday, ( it is now someday )
I look forward to learning from this great resource.
Ivan.

View attachment 47387
View attachment 47388
View attachment 47389
View attachment 47390
View attachment 47391
Welcome aboard! Thats a very nice self intro & a great vintage set up. Looking forward to your future posts!

Hello everybody!

I have always liked the multichannel surround music and recently, with a new Home Cinema build, I have entered the immersive 3D world with Dolby Atmos and discovered DTS:X and Auro-3D.

Googling for Dolby Atmos Music (real) releases I found, in some post here, the last chance to get the Max Cooper Emergence Atmos, from his bandcamp, before it was sold out.

Then, I began to lurk a little in this site, to see what it was like, and.... I have discovered a huge world of info in this forums. I have finally register here.

I don't know how I have been living without QuadraphonicQuad before!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay finally AYanguas - we have had our eye on you patiently waiting :LB...................lol just kidding . Wellllllllllllllcome aboard and glad ya finally took the plunge and signed up. Yep lotta koo awesome info and people here so if you have any questions or comments please feel feel to post them. The more the merrier.

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US :dance:rocks:dance

Hello...I'm new here and I've been interested in surround sound for years — ever since I saw an old quadraphonic tape unit in a thrift store that was on sale. I'm looking for classical and electronic music in surround (5.1 or 7.1) and I can't find anything except Dolby DTS promotional videos and there doesn't seem to be much out there. I did find one (used) forty disc blu-ray classical music set on sale on Amazon that supposedly in surround. Just looking for suggestions on were I can find music if it's still possible.

Hello...I'm new here and I've been interested in surround sound for years — ever since I saw an old quadraphonic tape unit in a thrift store that was on sale. I'm looking for classical and electronic music in surround (5.1 or 7.1) and I can't find anything except Dolby DTS promotional videos and there doesn't seem to be much out there. I did find one (used) forty disc blu-ray classical music set on sale on Amazon that supposedly in surround. Just looking for suggestions on were I can find music if it's still possible.
Welcome in @TallTanBarbie - learning to navigate through the forum on the home page is very helpful! There’s more music out there than I’d bet your budget can handle. I find older stuff on here daily, with more new music coming out all the time.
So buckle up tight; ‘cause it’s gonna be a bumpy ride for your wallet / purse (auditory id?)

Hello and Welcome!
It may depend on what type of surround media you can play....if you have a universal player like an Oppo, you can play blu-ray audio, SACD, DVD-Audio, multi-channel files from a hard drive...etc. It may be good to start by looking at the "Surround Polls" to see what disks have been made, and on what media so you could then search Amazon, Acoustic Sounds, Dutton Vocalion, Discogs.com, eBay, Deep Discount...
Good luck with your surround sound hunting, you've found the best place for this hobbie!

Back