Brad Miller

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were doing this thru special markets which had its limitations as i have discussed in old posts. Titles unfound or artists we could not touch. I had to go beg the Moodies. And your opinion of poor choices is just that. There are always reasons things get issued. when i played Brad the Jasmine Nightdreams title he was in love with it. Thought it should have been a hit and wanted it over the others. Did not mean we were not going after them later, time ran out.

i'm totally with him on loving Jasmine Nightdreams! its one of if not the most underrated fantastic Quads of all-time!!! 🥰

Also this was the FIRST ever and it was state of the art DAC for dts for many years in the mid-late 90's. For awhile it was the only way to decode dts music and laserdiscs. Another product of Brad Miller and his association with dts.

View attachment 50007

ahh.. i lusted after one of these as a nipper... but had to settle for AC-3 (which to be fair i still found very impressive at the time and a great leap over Pro Logic).. late 90's was a great time to be into "gadgetry".. people (i.e. the masses) still sought quality over quantity/convenience.. now we're the minority 😔

I remember reading, in Billboard Magazine, that Brad Miller was responsible for the Warner Music Group choosing to use CD-4 for their quad LP's, after having initially opting to go with QS. Miller's "Mystic Moods" albums had moved from Philips to Warner Brothers Records, and there were plans to release some of those albums in four channel. Miller allegedly threatened to pull his catalog from the label if they opted to go with a matrix format. Warner relented, going with the discrete format. Miller ended up pulling his catalog anyway, after founding Soundbird Records.

Yep. There's a thread here all about that:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/brad-millers-soundbird-records.26803/

Also this was the FIRST ever and it was state of the art DAC for dts for many years in the mid-late 90's. For awhile it was the only way to decode dts music and laserdiscs. Another product of Brad Miller and his association with dts.

View attachment 50007
I still have my Millennium decoder and although it might just be the placebo effect I still think that it sounds better than the built in DTS decoders in my DVD and Blu-ray players. You are supposed to be able to use it with CD players that have digital outputs but I've found that not to be the case as most of those output PCM, you need bit-steam output like you can get from a DVD players digital output.

Last edited:
I still have my Millennium decoder and although it might just be the placebo effect I still think that it sound better than the built in DTS decoders in my DVD and Blu-ray players. You are supposed to be able to use it with CD players that have digital outputs but I've found that not to be the case as most of those output PCM, you need bit-steam output like you can get from a DVD players digital output.

It's been so long since I've used the 2.4.6 but if I recall it was a pass through for any signals not dts.

ahh.. i lusted after one of these as a nipper... but had to settle for AC-3 (which to be fair i still found very impressive at the time and a great leap over Pro Logic).. late 90's was a great time to be into "gadgetry".. people (i.e. the masses) still sought quality over quantity/convenience.. now we're the minority 😔

When the 2.4.6 first came out, I was drooling, had to scrounge up the cash and did some extra work to afford the additional cables (Vampire Wire) to hook it up via pre out/ext in. I think they torched me for like $250-300 worth of interconnects along with the $700 for the 2.4.6. Dang those Vampire Wires were expensive.

I remember emailing with a guy called David Delgrasso, or something like that. He was with DTS. Pretty nice guy who was really pushing DTS. I would guess that you guys knew him. This was before QQ. If he registered here, I never knew. Heck, he could be a member here and I'd never know.

Yes, DelGrasso was originally at Image Entertainment marketing Laserdiscs. DTS hired him to create some content for their system to encourage consumers to buy DTS equipped audio gear via DTS Entertainment. He was the guy behind the DTS Entertainment Laserdiscs, DVDs and DVD-As.

Yes, DelGrasso was originally at Image Entertainment marketing Laserdiscs. DTS hired him to create some content for their system to encourage consumers to buy DTS equipped audio gear via DTS Entertainment. He was the guy behind the DTS Entertainment Laserdiscs, DVDs and DVD-As.

He contacted me because there was some sort of error in the DTS LaserDisc of "Hell Freezes Over" and he sent me a corrected copy of it. I could never figure out what the error was. I will have to look back through old emails, maybe I still have it.

Here's the email:

-----Original Message-----
To: Jon Urban
Date: Monday, December 29, 1997 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: DTS Eagles

It may sound "pretty good"... but this soundtrack is not the "finished" mix
that we created for this LD, and I'd rather not get into the details of how
this screw-up occured.

But I would like you to get a copy of the new pressing to compare it
directly with your own ears. So if you'll agree to listen carefully to both
versions, and report back to me what the sonic differences are through your
system, I will send you a free copy of the new re-pressed version, as soon
as they arrive (hopefully within two weeks).

Please leave me your mailing address... if you want to participate in this
impromptu listening test.

And have a great 5.1 NEW YEAR!

Here's the email:

-----Original Message-----
To: Jon Urban
Date: Monday, December 29, 1997 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: DTS Eagles

Damn what I would have done to have been an “insider” like that. Maybe I should have pursued that journalism career after all! Stereophile awaits me! :dance

Damn what I would have done to have been an “insider” like that. Maybe I should have pursued that journalism career after all! Stereophile awaits me! :dance

The odd thing is that this was way before QQ, and I probably "ran into him" either in a newgroup or on CompuServe! I can't remember. It's even hard for me to believe that I have 23 years of emails stored up! o_O

The odd thing is that this was way before QQ, and I probably "ran into him" either in a newgroup or on CompuServe! I can't remember. It's even hard for me to believe that I have 23 years of emails stored up! o_O

Ha!! And I thought I was bad with having emails back from 2000.

Such great memories at the audio shows, rest their souls Brad and Dave. They were pioneers for sure!

View attachment 50007
Brad and I owned the Mill. We had a fellow in the Bay design it, and we manufactured in Taiwan. I still have the prototype with a serial # of TAD

Dave Delgrosso was a good dude. First time we met was at George Martin's Studio AIR London to do demos for British industry people, using the purple box, the first incantation of a dts decoder. Went to great Indian joints in London. We had a lot of fun doing demos over the years from Vegas Consumer Electronics, to AES in NY and California. We called the bunch of us running around the planet to push DTS- the Gladiator Warriors. We were going after the heads of all these audio companies, trying to get them to understand it is time to allow access to 6 channels so we could connect decoders. Up to that time you could input a stereo signal, but we needed more! This was a battle, which Denon first saw as an opportunity. Dave had a lot of pressure as DTS Entertainment was only set up to push the system, and blew thru lots of dough. Explaining where it is going and why he needed more. After a while when the new chips came around which made it easy to incorporate into the new audio receivers as the chip did all the work, the DTS folk all became more worried about the stock price more than anything. DTS Entertainment went away.

Brad and I owned the Mill. We had a fellow in the Bay design it, and we manufactured in Taiwan. I still have the prototype with a serial # of TAD
I’d love to see some pics of the prototype. I was in love with the 2.4.6 is was just a fantastic piece of audio equipment and the gateway to the best sound at the time. Not a lot of home theater folks that I knew had the 2.4.6 they were holding out for Pioneer and Onkyo and HK, etc, to release pieces with DTS built in.

We were doing this thru special markets which had its limitations as i have discussed in old posts. Titles unfound or artists we could not touch. I had to go beg the Moodies. And your opinion of poor choices is just that. There are always reasons things get issued. when i played Brad the Jasmine Nightdreams title he was in love with it. Thought it should have been a hit and wanted it over the others. Did not mean we were not going after them later, time ran out.
Of course he loved it! It just was Edgar’s commercial “stiff” which some fans enjoy. Wanted it over the platinum “They Only Come Out at Night”? Ok.

BBA takes a lot of heat then and now where Blow By Blow (and Wired) seem not to. It’s the vocals which are where it’s lacking according to others’ opinions.

I was quite complementary on much of the DTS product in my post. And yeah some less than stellar choices were made I should say it again!

Time indeed ran out in them just like it has and will for so many others. But DTS got enough right, as I said, I like their short limited run.

Last edited:
I still have my Millennium decoder and although it might just be the placebo effect I still think that it sounds better than the built in DTS decoders in my DVD and Blu-ray players. You are supposed to be able to use it with CD players that have digital outputs but I've found that not to be the case as most of those output PCM, you need bit-steam output like you can get from a DVD players digital output.
I have one of those decoders and have used it with CD players tos/link optical output with no problem.

I wonder if I can get a few bucks for my Millennium on the used market? I still have the original box manual and demo disc included.

I remember ordering it and asking for the black model and they said ok. It arrived and was the silver model not the black I wanted. I called them and was told they were out of black, I’d have to return it for refund or settle for silver.

Oh well. I think I got it on sale as it was being discontinued. I used it for a year (or so) before springing for a pricy Denon 1600 DVD-A player which handled DTS discs fine including those QR conversions on CD-R media.

Last edited:
Fascinating conversation & era, and the particulars of Brad Miller & associates (here on QQ even!), DTS, etc. are filling in some gaps.
Thank you gentlemen, for sharing your knowledge and experiences for another old dog to enjoy.

Fascinating conversation & era, and the particulars of Brad Miller & associates (here on QQ even!), DTS, etc. are filling in some gaps.
Thank you gentlemen, for sharing your knowledge and experiences for another old dog to enjoy.

To add to what Miller, DelGrosso and dts were doing at the time, the dts vs. AC-3 wars were something special. It was amazing the amount of coverage between the magazines, the burgeoning internet and what was happening in both big box and specialty brick and mortar stores (rapid technology advances with electronics (tv's shifting to handle dvd and later on HD material, the movement away from tube and screens getting larger and larger, etc). Customers, employees, reps and industry folks debated endlessly the merits/quality of both and whether quad/surround sound music could make a comeback. I remember bouncing from demo room to demo room at a/v shows with certain rooms touting dts or ac-3. If I recall there were a lot of people who were either firmly in the "stereo is king" camp, or the what if there were multiple formats of surround sound, how would people distinguish or understand (lots of people didn't want the confusion of the various quad formats of the 70's).

All the while being overshadowed by the relatively quick transition from vhs/laserdisc to dvd and then dvd to hd-dvd and blu ray.

To add to what Miller, DelGrosso and dts were doing at the time, the dts vs. AC-3 wars were something special. It was amazing the amount of coverage between the magazines, the burgeoning internet and what was happening in both big box and specialty brick and mortar stores (rapid technology advances with electronics (tv's shifting to handle dvd and later on HD material, the movement away from tube and screens getting larger and larger, etc). Customers, employees, reps and industry folks debated endlessly the merits/quality of both and whether quad/surround sound music could make a comeback. I remember bouncing from demo room to demo room at a/v shows with certain rooms touting dts or ac-3. If I recall there were a lot of people who were either firmly in the "stereo is king" camp, or the what if there were multiple formats of surround sound, how would people distinguish or understand (lots of people didn't want the confusion of the various quad formats of the 70's).

All the while being overshadowed by the relatively quick transition from vhs/laserdisc to dvd and then dvd to hd-dvd and blu ray.
Yes. I was always in the DTS camp, still am for that matter, but in the area I lived talking to sales reps was like talking to your stereotypical teen. (see what I did there?)

Back