HiRez Poll Alan Parsons Project, The - AMMONIA AVENUE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Alan Parsons Project - AMMONIA AVENUE

• Total voters
Yes, but the sound improves substantially at Don't Answer Me.

yes, that pretty much mirrors my aural experience Baggster.. tbh i was enjoying the music and mix so much that it all transcended my gripes... (as did the delicious Rosé accompaniment.. no gripes from those blushing grapes whatsoeverrrrrr 🥳🍷 🥂

LOL! You guys are killing me. I, of all people, seem to be sensitive to over active center channel (voice, guitar...whatever). The Barclay stuff comes to mind. I don't even get a hint of that issue on this one.

Anyway, bummer you guys are hearing that. :(
The center is barely used. But, yes vocals are often really hot, even in the surrounds.

Finally received my copy, after ordering from DeepDiscount almost a month ago.

I agree that this album is basically Eye In The Sky Part II, to the point where some of the songs sound exceedingly familiar. In particular, "Prime Time" reminds me a lot of "Eye In The Sky" and "Ammonia Avenue" very much evokes "Silence & I". Overall, I'd say the album is about as good as Eye - there's a few great songs and a few that are sort of forgettable. I like it a lot, and it will get repeated listens.

The surround mix is fantastic! As great as the Eye 5.1 is, I think this is even better - I was grinning like an idiot when the intertwining acoustic guitars entered from the rears in "Prime Time". "Don't Answer Me" still has that 'wall of sound' effect despite the presence of discrete elements in the rear channels (acoustic guitar, backing vocals). "Pipeline" is another highlight with the synth melody isolated in the rears, and "Ammonia Avenue" is as dramatic as you'd expect with the orchestra all around the room.

However--as others have pointed out--there's something up with the fidelity. I'm not sure if the cause is the mixing or the mastering, but the whole album is much louder and brighter than Eye In The Sky. I played them back-to-back and had to lower the volume considerably for Ammonia Avenue.

"Prime Time" and "Eye In The Sky" feature similar arrangements, instruments, and overall length, yet one has much more headroom that the other - not sure why this is the case?

"Sirius/Eye In The Sky":
Sirius_Eye.jpg

"Prime Time":
Prime Time.jpg

Going with a "9". I like the music and the surround mix is top-notch, but you might find yourself turning the volume down. I can't wait for Turn and I, Robot!

Last edited:
I thought I'd mention....since I don't make "random" play lists, I never worry about one title being louder than another So, I don't have to turn it down....per se. If this one is louder, I really have no way (in the way I like to listen to music) to even measure it. Sounds absolutely amazing to my old stupid ears.

I thought I'd mention....since I don't make "random" play lists, I never worry about one title being louder than another So, I don't have to turn it down....per se. If this one is louder, I really have no way (in the way I like to listen to music) to even measure it. Sounds absolutely amazing to my old stupid ears.

No random playlists involved on my end - it’s simply a matter of playing one disc, then ejecting it and putting in another.

In all fairness, setting the volume and balance is a probably a bit more of an event for me than it is for other listeners because I use a ‘70s amp.

"Prime Time" and "Eye In The Sky" feature similar arrangements, instruments, and overall length, yet one has much more headroom that the other - not sure why this is the case?

Going with a "9". I like the music and the surround mix is top-notch, but you might find yourself turning the volume down. I can't wait for Turn and I, Robot!
Compression perhaps; personally, I don't mind the extra punch, still sounds clean to me?

Listened last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I’ll admit I’m not a huge fan of APP, who are just a bit too bland for my tastes, but there are some strong tracks here and the mix is fantastic. Title track was a highlight for me. I think I like this one better than Eye in the Sky!

Now I remember why I probably haven't played my old vinyl copy of this since the late 80s. The songs just aren't good enough. As others have commented it's a repeat of Eye in the Sky. I do enjoy the title track but a can barely remember any of the others. The Surround mix is fine if a little ordinary while the sound quality is very good. So only a six from me.

Finally arrived in Australia after waiting a for a month. I agree with a few previous posts mentioning the brightness and volume of the mastering. Still we can fix that and adjust to taste, so once I found my preferences I enjoyed it. The title track has always been my favourite track and was not disappointed here. Punchy and tight with nice intimacy when needed. Gave it a 7.

I hit this site only occasionally these days but glad I learned about this Blu Ray because its great. Though I like and have other APP discs, I was not familiar with Ammonia Avenue so I listened on YouTube before ordering and really liked the content. The BD is amazing! Haven't had a chance to play it turned up (Pipeline) yet (SIP with wife) but a great surround sound disc. So nice to get a SS disc of this quality! Still deciding between 9/10. ;)

I just recieved mine. Ordered April 6.
I remember not really liking this album back in the day. I have always liked "Don't Answer Me" and bought this on vinyl on the strength of that song. I recall being dissapointed with most of the rest of the album.
I have just listened through this BluRay. Huh. Who knew? I really like the entire album's content.

That being said, I find the fidelity and surround mix to be of a reference quality. "Don't Answer Me", IMHO, has always sounded harsh...brittle. This was on vinyl and my later cd. I was happily surprised to hear it on this BluRay. It is more than listenable now.
Lotsa discreet surround stuff going on in this album. Very, very happy with the purchase.

This gets a 10 from me

Last edited:
I listened to my 16-bit FLACs earlier and I give it 9 Snood bananas out of 10. Thanks Alan for making the BD available as a standalone instead of only available in a whopping great box set. You down wit APP? Yeah, you know me:

If someone has any advice as to why I'm getting 16-bit FLACs instead of 24-bit, I would be muchly appreciative. I did the whole back-up myself from the BD I purchased as I've done previously. I've never had a MKV with 24-bit audio (as shown when I open it in Audiomuxer) produce FLACs at 16-bit. I can't see any setting in Audiomuxer that allows bit depth to be changed either.

Anyone? Bueller?

Another smash from Alan Parsons!

MIX: What's there to say, really? It's damn near perfect. 3.

FIDELITY: As expected for a Parsons production from '84, it's excellent overall. I do find it to be slightly bass-shy, and almost harsh in a few places. 2.

CONTENT: Not my favorite Project album, but still great, and I'm rooting for all of them in surround! The promo videos are a nice bonus. 3.

PACKAGING: Gotta commend Alan on his commitment to affordable standalone releases. Nothing special, here, but that's OK. 1.

TOTAL: 9

Last edited:
Surround 9 (2.7)
Audio 9 (2.7)
Content 7 (2.1) not my favorite APP but it will get spun more now than in the past.
Package 10 (1) #1 fan of having the choice of a big box or a standalone BR
8.5 rounds to 9

Back