Receivers that decode 4.0 PCM/MLP recordings over HDMI

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the SR6012 and was recently bummed to discover that my FLAC 4.0 24/96 back up of Dark Side of the Moon (Parsons) will not play any sound when streaming over the network from my PC to the Sony X800 using DLNA. I believe I can play it directly from a USB plugged into the Sony also, just not streaming. Sometimes when you get the itch and you just want to click on your Plex server and stream some of your surround titles, not being able to access the first one you really had the itch for can be a bummer dudes!
That’s streaming via network, what about HDMI from a player?

Just the opposite of what is being asked for in the thread but...
NAD T758v3 has this problem. Using HDMI2 out on Oppo 103 to NAD T758v3 for LPCM 4.0 gets only front channels.
LPCM 4.1 and LPCM 5.0 work fine. I suppose I should try the HDMI1 output to see if that helps but don't think it will?
When I first got this receiver, DTS 96/24 from DVD over HDMI did not work(silence) when dirac live was engaged, but that was fixed in a firmware update.

Pink Floyd Immersion DSOTM 4.0 and WYWH 4.0 give only fronts. Chicago Quadio box 4.0 works fine.
Any other commercial discs that I need to worry about?

This is a common problem with modern AVRs. You will need to add a silent centre channel to quad files or silent C & LFE to play as Quad.

Check out Music Media Helper in Media Player sub-forum. That has a Remix tool that does FLAC albums in batch mode (many albums, tracks at once)

Pink Floyd Immersion DSOTM 4.0 and WYWH 4.0 give only fronts. Chicago Quadio box 4.0 works fine.
Only the two Floyd discs you mention being legit releases have given me this problem and that is because they are PCM. The only other discs I have this problem are home brewed DVDA with MLP. I just rip everything now and use groove music or Jriver and no problem at all.
Thanks to Homer for his ripping tutorials!

My to Floyd BDAs played ok in Quad. I think I used DTS-MA but not sure since my Oppo was decommissioned. FLAC only here for years.

Just the opposite of what is being asked for in the thread but...
NAD T758v3 has this problem. Using HDMI2 out on Oppo 103 to NAD T758v3 for LPCM 4.0 gets only front channels.
LPCM 4.1 and LPCM 5.0 work fine. I suppose I should try the HDMI1 output to see if that helps but don't think it will?
When I first got this receiver, DTS 96/24 from DVD over HDMI did not work(silence) when dirac live was engaged, but that was fixed in a firmware update.

The HDMI 1 should work.

Tried the HDMI1 output on the Oppo 103, still just getting front two channels, silence from the rears. Tried PF and homebrew discs.

For what it’s worth I just checked the quad files on my Sony X800 and playing 24/96 4.0 PCM files from a USB works fine. The gap between tracks isn’t seamless though so for seamless play you would need to create a single WAV file. It does not like quad flacs over DLNA using Plex.
46AAFAD8-043B-4E3A-929F-2C4D45009786.jpeg
15A592C1-8008-4D18-815B-D2B402C41490.jpeg

Call me a liar! While the Marantz shows quad input and quad output, it’s only playing stereo. I thought WAV instead of FLAC was the way to get it working, apparently not. And the X800 doesn’t play DVD-A discs if they’re burned at home to DVD Rs, boo!

I guess the last time I played my DVD-A(R) was when my Pioneer BDP-62FD was still in the house. I’ll have to pick up a used player now, something super cheap like a DV-45 or 980H will do the trick.

Last edited:
Call me a liar! While the Marantz shows quad input and quad output, it’s only playing stereo. I thought WAV instead of FLAC was the way to get it working, apparently not. And the X800 doesn’t play DVD-A discs if they’re burned at home to DVD Rs, boo!

I guess the last time I played my DVD-A(R) was when my Pioneer BDP-62FD was still in the house. I’ll have to pick up a used player now, something super cheap like a DV-45 or 980H will do the trick.

That's exactly my experience!! the Sony X800 showed 4 channel but only would actually play L/R. Also I had acquired a few "unofficial" dvd-a's (dvd-r) and the Sony refused to even recognize them. Last weekend, picked up the Oppo and no problem with any and all discs.

Picked up a used Oppo BDP-93 and voila!! Blu ray 4.0 96/24 Quad DOSTM playing perfectly via HDMI to Onkyo TX-RZ810. For background, my Sony X800 will not play the 4.0 correctly.
Curious how much you paid for the Oppo BDP-93
How does this compare to the 103 ?
It seems to play all the same formats.
Using the HDMI output it really doesn't matter if the DAC is of lower quality.

Curious how much you paid for the Oppo BDP-93
How does this compare to the 103 ?
It seems to play all the same formats.
Using the HDMI output it really doesn't matter if the DAC is of lower quality.

$300 for the BDP-93 locally. It's my first and likely, only Oppo I'll ever have. Maybe someone who has a 103 can give some feedback. Plays everything I throw at it flawlessly and I'm using it as a transport, HDMI to Onkyo, so Onkyo DAC handling conversion. Turned off most of the video stuff but I may experiment with it since it has this awesome Marvell video chip that I keep reading about.

I bought an Oppo 93 for £225 recently for my parents. All original packaging, all accessories including original cables, and not a mark on the player or remote. Absolutely immaculate condition, barely looks used.

For many years I have been using a Yamaha RX-V471 receiver. It plays 4.0 PCM signals via HDMI just fine.
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V485 receiver - it will only play the Front Left and Right channels from a 4.0 PCM signal via HDMI. It will however play a 4.0 DTS-HD Master (Chicago Quadio) signal via HDMI fine. Seems odd that older models play 4.0 PCM OK, but newer ones don't.

Picked up a used Oppo BDP-93 and voila!! Blu ray 4.0 96/24 Quad DOSTM playing perfectly via HDMI to Onkyo TX-RZ810. For background, my Sony X800 will not play the 4.0 correctly.

While using Sony x800 via coax it does samething... outputs the 4.0 in 5.1 thought I was losing my mind! Lol

While using Sony x800 via coax it does samething... outputs the 4.0 in 5.1 thought I was losing my mind! Lol
4.0 shows up as 5.1 over HDMI on my Marantz SR6014 when played back from my Panasonic DP-UB820-K, but I have verified that the center channel is silent. I would assume the LFE is also silent, but can't confirm because my system requires bass management (small satellite speakers). I do believe it shows up as 4.0 when played back from my Oppo BDP-103D. Even if it "lights up," your center channel may not be active; easy to confirm.

4.0 shows up as 5.1 over HDMI on my Marantz SR6014 when played back from my Panasonic DP-UB820-K, but I have verified that the center channel is silent. I would assume the LFE is also silent, but can't confirm because my system requires bass management (small satellite speakers). I do believe it shows up as 4.0 when played back from my Oppo BDP-103D. Even if it "lights up," your center channel may not be active; easy to confirm.

My oppos play it fine...both 103 n 203...but the Sony x800 doesn't like dsotm or wywh quad...it outputs it in 5.1 despite my screen/ display says its playing the Quad 4.0 its outputting it with center playing...n yes i confirm d my ctr was on ...ITS THE SONY!

Back