Converting MCH discs 101: Overview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok cheers for that. I’d just started reading your thread from 4 years ago “media players 101” as your message came through. Something else for me to consider (and get really confused) about. I need to sort all this sh*t out though...

I’ve just bid for and won a Pioneer BDR XD05TB on ebay. I’m now a bit worried though, as some of the reviews that I have just read (I know, I should have done this before), state that it doesn’t work with a Mac! However, some customer reviews on Amazon state that although they’ve had difficulty playing discs, it seems to burn okay. But then again, I don’t know if they mean burn to disc.
All I want to do is use it to rip my Blu-ray music to my Mac, so I can archive it on an ext hard drive.
Does anyone here have this model, and can confirm that it’ll do what I want it to do on a Mac?

Maybe start a thread here "Disc Conversions for MAC users" (or similar) and see if some of our MAC users can post info on what they've done? It seems some use a Windows emulator, (run Windows in MACOS, therefore run any Windows programs).

However, some customer reviews on Amazon state that although they’ve had difficulty playing discs, it seems to burn okay. But then again, I don’t know if they mean burn to disc.
What else would it mean?

To be honest, I'd try to cancel your eBay sale and get a USB drive that is compatible with your Mac. An emulator may well work, but if you can get a Mac friendly drive, why not?

I’ve just bid for and won a Pioneer BDR XD05TB on ebay. I’m now a bit worried though, as some of the reviews that I have just read (I know, I should have done this before), state that it doesn’t work with a Mac! However, some customer reviews on Amazon state that although they’ve had difficulty playing discs, it seems to burn okay. But then again, I don’t know if they mean burn to disc.
All I want to do is use it to rip my Blu-ray music to my Mac, so I can archive it on an ext hard drive.
Does anyone here have this model, and can confirm that it’ll do what I want it to do on a Mac?

Hi there, looking at the manual I think you should be fine - it has this at the bottom in the product overview and also FAQ...
  • 7. - Does the BDR-XD05 work in a Mac OS X environment?
    Answer: The drive can operate in a Mac OS X environment (Mac OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8). In a Mac OS environment, use Finder to read and write to Blu-ray, DVD and CD media. Use DVD Player to play back DVD movies. Blu-ray playback requires additional software (not included). Note that the bundled CyberLink software does not work in the Mac OS X environment.
I use an old Samsung external drive for ripping on a Mac, works fine for BDA/DVDA etc. Usually just shows a disc on the desktop... Just remember to turn off any autoplay otherwise it can get bloody annoying! For Blu Rays I use MakeMKV to make a back up then use DVD Audio Extractor. For DVD-Audio/Video you can jump straight to DVD AE...

If your interested in ripping your SACD bitstreams (.dsf files), Blu-Ray, DVD-A, DTS or other multichannel discs and don't want to invest in the hardware, then might I suggest you look into: Home

Ari will rip stereo files from such discs for $5 or multichannel files (also includes a stereo copy if available) for $7.50 per disc.

You will need to send your discs along with a suitable flash, 2.5" or 3.5"hard drive for file storage. His turnaround time is typically two week or less.
I've been very pleased with the speed and quality of the files produced.

Reactions: GOS
When I try DVD-Audio Extractor it looks like it extracts 6 channels to FLAC but it is only stereo. Foobar will even show 6 channels visually but they aren't actually there. Very odd. The only way it works is to go WAV out. Direct doesn't work either.
Anyone else have this issue? More importantly, anyone know why I'm having this issue? haha!

When I try DVD-Audio Extractor it looks like it extracts 6 channels to FLAC but it is only stereo. Foobar will even show 6 channels visually but they aren't actually there. Very odd. The only way it works is to go WAV out. Direct doesn't work either.
Anyone else have this issue? More importantly, anyone know why I'm having this issue? haha!
Yes, sounds familiar, it’s happened to me on some specific titles (maybe copy protection it can’t break); which title are you having a problem with?

And also, what format are you trying to rip?

Several, and my own Uphollow disc, which I know doesn't have have copy protection. But currently, Genesis Trespass.
It works to convert to wav, then to use foobar to convert to FLAC.
Trying to convert from DVD-A or DVD-V to FLAC.
Also, I'm using DVD Audio Extractor version 7.6.0.

Last edited:
Several, and my own Uphollow disc, which I know doesn't have have copy protection. But currently, Genesis Trespass.
This happened to me today with Yes/Close to the Edge BluRay. Thanks for posting this, I thought I was going crazy. Everything with DVD-AudioExtractor has always worked flawlessly for me (probably done +60 discs). I usually overlook the "Stereo" in the pull-down, as it was always set correctly by default in the past. But with CTTE it only shows "Stereo" or "Mono". I'm gonna try another program.

IME BluRay audio has to be decrypted with e.g. MakeMKV before DVDA can extract as files.

You might want to update . The current version is 8.1.2

(IIRC I ripped all the DTS 96/24 from Genesis discs using DVDAE, no issues...and this was years ago. But I rip directly -- 'Direct Demux' -- to .dts, no decoding.)

Last edited:
Back