Listening to this surround UPMIX, up-remix, or remix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its the next one up in their range, Phono Box S, only about 50 squids more, all wee dip switches to fiddle about with to match your cartridge 😋

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Phono-Box-Pre-Amplifier-Black/dp/B0096QYWZI

Deeply dippy bout your phono stage... 🎶

That’s right, said Fred... 🙂 I went for this one too so can attest it’s goodness with the SMv2 for unmixes... And it also has a blue power light which is cool in terms of matching! 💡

I forget to check out those dip switches - just used it as is out of the box... Guess I should check that out! 🤪

Deeply dippy bout your phono stage... 🎶

That’s right, said Fred... 🙂 I went for this one too so can attest it’s goodness with the SMv2 for unmixes... And it also has a blue power light which is cool in terms of matching! 💡

I forget to check out those dip switches - just used it as is out of the box... Guess I should check that out! 🤪
I've just bought the very same, after weighing up Duncan's recommended Ultra and the S2
The S2, I felt, will suit my needs and got it for a tenner off, as well.....a Brucie bargain.

I've just bought the very same, after weighing up Duncan's recommended Ultra and the S2
The S2, I felt, will suit my needs and got it for a tenner off, as well.....a Brucie bargain.

if you're anything like me in what you'll primarily use the Surround Master with a turntable for (mostly 2nd hand SQ/QS Quad records with who knows how much abuse they had before i got my mitts on them and probably not too many were great pressings in the first place and old LPs i had when i was a kid) anything beyond that kind of entry level pre-amp feels like it might be a waste of money but i dunno you may have a beautifully curated mint collection to die for, in which case, you'll probably still be ok! 🤷‍♀️ ☺️

Silk Degrees : Boz Scaggs (LP thru the Surround Master; Involve mode. SQ gives some interesting results on some tracks also)

"what can i say..." 🤷‍♀️🥳😍

B864FC58-7FA4-4A0F-905B-433447BC9A5C.jpeg

if in doubt, get on yer yacht and rock! 🦩

9F9EBFFB-8C7F-4C2A-8BC3-F124600C183E.jpeg

the Steely Dan Classics that didn't get the Quad treatment pan out so nicely in the Surround Master's Involve mode i don't miss there not being any legit 4.0/5.1 surround releases (doesn't mean i don't crave them still, if Mr. Scheiner were to come out of retirement and do them all in 5.1 you wouldn't hear me complaining ... meantime this'll do 😉

I have no doubt the stereo mix and mastering plays a HUGE part in how these albums sound when upmixed. We should start a thread/list of who the audio engineers were on these great stereo upmixed albums. I reckon these albums would be consistently good when upmixed, no matter our preferred upmix method used.

Haven't heard this good ole boy in while
View attachment 50148
If you also like CDB, try "Nightrider". I did an upmix with SPEC/PLOGUE back around 2012, turned out good......"some people say I'm no good, crazy as a loon, I get drunk in the morning, I get stoned in the afternoon"..... hee hee yaaaaa man.

Back