What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, it's one of my favorite quad discoveries. I thought I knew the mix pretty well from the SQ LP, but the difference between this new tape and the last conversion I did (SQ LP through Tate II) is striking. Check out these samples of the rears-only during the same section of "Inside My Love" - it's no contest comparing the two.

thanks for the samples, your Q8 transfer (as Q8's go and its own right) sounds fabulous!
i have to say (with a tinge of sadness, as everyone knows I'm the Surround Master's biggest fan) isolating the Rears on the Q8 (and even the Tate) show up the shortcomings in the SM's SQ decoding on this one, the bleed not just on the CF vocals but cymbal crashes and other stuff that shouldn't be back there is a shame but it is what it is.. and its still the best SQ decoder you can actually buy new today.. so there's that. i'm all about silver linings at the mo (and silver hair now i'm not getting it dyed! sheesh.. who's that old geezer in the mirror! 🧙‍♀️ oops.. ha... 😂 back to the music, that never gets old.

This is a great album IMO; would love to hear the Q8 someday; it's a weird coinkydink, but Minnie is Maya Rudolf's mom; and I just saw Maya killing it on that Prince special that aired recently, but I didn't know she had those kind of chops!

Puppy I've tried to show you that i care! :QQlove
stunning album.. so under appreciated.. maybe DV will do it someday 🤞

Hi. All

Just want to pass on there is another Japanese Quad Reel tape up for auction on " Jauce Action " site.
The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound Of Jean Jacques Perrey.
I have this Q4 tape and I thoroughly enjoy this tape just a fun listen to early electronic music.
BBQ....

( https://www.jauce.com/auction/u349812798 )
i-img1200x675-1587865228dgrvgh158998.jpg
i-img1200x675-1587865228s01xnt158998.jpg

i-img1200x675-1587865228iljukg158998.jpg

Last edited:
This was tonight's eBay score. Five tapes I do not have. It's been a while since I'd bought anything so, I made an offer and the fellow was kind enough to accept.
$250 for these tapes is a healthy chunk of change, but in all honesty..... $50 for each of these titles is fair, I guess. This still leaves two more Friends of Distinction tapes I need.
He was also kind enough to ship them to Canada since we're not allowed to cross the border yet.

quad_score.jpg

This was tonight's eBay score. Five tapes I do not have. It's been a while since I'd bought anything so, I made an offer and the fellow was kind enough to accept.
$250 for these tapes is a healthy chunk of change, but in all honesty..... $50 for each of these titles is fair, I guess. This still leaves two more Friends of Distinction tapes I need.
He was also kind enough to ship them to Canada since we're not allowed to cross the border yet.

View attachment 50699
Wow, great haul right there @Q-Eight :D

View attachment 50699

wow!! some sought after tapes there!!
$250 doesn't feel exorbitant by any means, great score 🙂

View attachment 50699
Hi. Q-Eight

I totally agree with fredy & pupster these are a great find..
BBQ...

View attachment 50699

Excellent! Have you had a chance to listen to Sunfighter yet? I'd love to hear that one. How cool...

i'd love to see if they really are discrete diagonals on LITM (as you know, that is one scarce tape!!!!) when you get it on the computer! 👀

Yep! The first track kicks off with the drum roll in front left/rear right and the horn parts in front right/rear left.

01 Zach's Fanfare.jpg

There's a cool moment in the middle of "Bittersweet" where everything trails off except the bass guitar, suspended in 'quad center' between front left and rear right.

02 Bittersweet.jpg

It's a really interesting mix - the instruments tend to change places pretty frequently. Most of the songs have the bass guitar diagonally imaged between the front left and rear right. Some also have the drum kit spread in stereo diagonally. In "TSOP", the drums are panned across the fronts with keyboards/rhythm guitar in rear left and strings in rear right. The reprise of "Zach's Fanfare" has the drums in mono(!), isolated in the right front channel.

Back