Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price is the least of my worries. Just to see something so grand on a massive screen. That's what I want.
Agree. I think this is going to be awesome and seeing it in a theater with like minded folks will only enhance the experience. THEN of course, buy the blu ray, hopefully with a music-only option or the entire album remixed into surround.

This looks to be great. I never really liked the "Let It Be" movie. The Beatles (especially Paul) had intended the movie to be about the band "getting back to their roots" and being a "band" instead of a studio act. Instead, it comes across as the story of a band breaking up. Sort of like it was suppose to be about a love story and instead it was a divorce.
I think I will like the happier version of all those hours spent on the Get Back/Let It Be sessions.

Ha! Sounds like the Jackson film might be a little re-write of history. I've seen a lot of the original footage and my recollection was that Paul was very dominating and not letting George spread his wings. I can see why Paul would want to re-shape what went down.

Here are George's spoken words about the day he quit during the Twickenham sessions:

They were filming us having a row. It never came to blows, but I thought, ‘What’s the point of this? I’m quite capable of being relatively happy on my own and I’m not able to be happy in this situation. I’m getting out of here.’

Everybody had gone through that. Ringo had left at one point. I know John wanted out. It was a very, very difficult, stressful time, and being filmed having a row as well was terrible. I got up and I thought, ‘I’m not doing this any more. I’m out of here.’ So I got my guitar and went home and that afternoon wrote Wah-Wah.

It became stifling, so that although this new album was supposed to break away from that type of recording (we were going back to playing live) it was still very much that kind of situation where he already had in his mind what he wanted. Paul wanted nobody to play on his songs until he decided how it should go. For me it was like: ‘What am I doing here? This is painful!’

Then superimposed on top of that was Yoko, and there were negative vibes at that time. John and Yoko were out on a limb. I don’t think he wanted much to be hanging out with us, and I think Yoko was pushing him out of the band, inasmuch as she didn’t want him hanging out with us.

It’s important to state that a lot of water has gone under the bridge and that, as we talk now, everybody’s good friends and we have a better understanding of the past. But talking about what was happening at that time, you can see it was strange.

Ha! Sounds like the Jackson film might be a little re-write of history. I've seen a lot of the original footage and my recollection was that Paul was very dominating and not letting George spread his wings. I can see why Paul would want to re-shape what went down.

Here are George's spoken words about the day he quit during the Twickenham sessions:

They were filming us having a row. It never came to blows, but I thought, ‘What’s the point of this? I’m quite capable of being relatively happy on my own and I’m not able to be happy in this situation. I’m getting out of here.’

Everybody had gone through that. Ringo had left at one point. I know John wanted out. It was a very, very difficult, stressful time, and being filmed having a row as well was terrible. I got up and I thought, ‘I’m not doing this any more. I’m out of here.’ So I got my guitar and went home and that afternoon wrote Wah-Wah.

It became stifling, so that although this new album was supposed to break away from that type of recording (we were going back to playing live) it was still very much that kind of situation where he already had in his mind what he wanted. Paul wanted nobody to play on his songs until he decided how it should go. For me it was like: ‘What am I doing here? This is painful!’

Then superimposed on top of that was Yoko, and there were negative vibes at that time. John and Yoko were out on a limb. I don’t think he wanted much to be hanging out with us, and I think Yoko was pushing him out of the band, inasmuch as she didn’t want him hanging out with us.

It’s important to state that a lot of water has gone under the bridge and that, as we talk now, everybody’s good friends and we have a better understanding of the past. But talking about what was happening at that time, you can see it was strange.
I can imagine that these four were having feelings similar to being in lock down with the same people all the time for...what was it...eight years?

I can imagine that these four were having feelings similar to being in lock down with the same people all the time for...what was it...eight years?

we're Sergeant Peppers
Lonely Lockdown Band,
we'd like to take you home with us..
but current social distancing guidelines forbid us!

(cue applause) 🤣

Hmm, Peter Jackson eh? Great director though LotR was the last decent thing he did IMHO (asides that 'They Shall Not Grow Old'). Watched The Hobbit last two nights and the guy does have a tendency to go off the original plot - add Macca to that and we may have a radical re-telling as some have pointed out here (liek a history written by the victor?!).
Anyway, seen the original a couple of times (once on the tube and once on the 'net - it's out there still, even 1 on facebook); got both versions of album, vanilla (LP and CD) and Naked; Let it Be was one of my first singles (still have it); and have oodles of bootleg tracks, and I will concur that it would be good to see a re-done version of all this video and audio material - time for Mr Martin's boy to surface too mebbe?

Hmm, Peter Jackson eh? Great director though LotR was the last decent thing he did IMHO (asides that 'They Shall Not Grow Old'). Watched The Hobbit last two nights and the guy does have a tendency to go off the original plot - add Macca to that and we may have a radical re-telling as some have pointed out here (liek a history written by the victor?!).
Anyway, seen the original a couple of times (once on the tube and once on the 'net - it's out there still, even 1 on facebook); got both versions of album, vanilla (LP and CD) and Naked; Let it Be was one of my first singles (still have it); and have oodles of bootleg tracks, and I will concur that it would be good to see a re-done version of all this video and audio material - time for Mr Martin's boy to surface too mebbe?
Welcome to the QQ forum @theSplund !

I am sure Yoko and Olivia will not sign off on anything if it's just Paul rewriting history. After all, Yoko was there. And she has full control of the Lennon estate. Both her and Olivia have shown time and time again that they don't just bend to whatever Paul wants.

I am sure Yoko and Olivia will not sign off on anything if it's just Paul rewriting history. After all, Yoko was there. And she has full control of the Lennon estate. Both her and Olivia have shown time and time again that they don't just bend to whatever Paul wants.
I wouldn't be surprised though if all of them are in cahoots in trying to paint a rosy picture. Yoko's own presence there can be seen as destructive and god knows she suffered for it ever since, it's quite possible she, also, wouldn't mind presenting the Beatles as loving and friendly now.

Last edited:
I think Paul often gets undue negative comments because he pushed the band to try different concepts and directions. After all, it was he who pushed the Sgt. Peppers concept, the Magical Mystery Tour TV special idea, the Get Back live band/movie concept, etc. (Not all successful.) In his defense, wasn't he just trying keep The Beatles ahead of the rest of the Pop/Rock trends as they had been their whole career? If the Beatles had simply continued to make albums similar to Revolver or Rubber Soul, the fans would still buy the music (and it would probably be great music) but after 3 or 4 albums of that the fickle public and critics would declare they had gone stale or were just playing it safe. Paul wanted the band to continue to set the bar the rest of the music industry aspired to be...and keep their music on radio and money rolling in.
John & George were becoming preoccupied with other things (and Ringo was just happy to do whatever the other three wanted to do) and they were all wealthy enough to not have to work another day in their life if they wished. Paul still wanted to WORK at being a Pop entertainer and in that limelight. John & George were ready to retreat to their homes and family life and any music they made would be very personable spiritual (George) or political statements (John) and if Beatles fans didn't 'get it', that's their problem. And they had certainly earned their right to live their lives and careers as they wished.
The Rolling Stones could have all retired as multi-millionaires a couple of decades ago - but they still enjoy being a working/touring Rock band. I think that is the same drive Paul has always had (and Ringo re-discovered with his All-Star tours.) And since George Martin wasn't there to help guide the Get Back sessions, someone needed to be directing/producing the process and in the film it is obvious no one else besides Paul seems very interested in anything else but to jam on some old Rock & Roll classics. Just have fun, ya know? When it came to working on the new songs, I think Paul was just trying to do what he thought George Martin would have suggested.
Remember, George Martin only agreed to do the Abbey Road album after the Beatles agreed to "Do it they way we used to do it..and in a civilized manner". He wasn't willing to do another Get Back/ Let It Be affair. And aren't you glad?

Last edited:
Back