Pearl Jam “Gigaton” in Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The download, which was nearly 2.5 GB because of the 1080p option I selected, only seems to contain a stereo audio track when played via iTunes on my Windows PC. Selecting "Prefer AC3 Passthrough" produces no sound and also makes the visual component disappear. I can't determine if there was some sort of error with the download itself, or if this is a consequence of the DRM associated with the file.

When playing the .m4v file using another program, including Foobar, there is no audio at all. Maybe someone can diagnose these symptoms and assist. I've never rented or purchased a movie via iTunes before.

I wonder what would happen if the .m4v file is played on an NVIDIA Shield using Kodi or an oppo using a usb stick?

The download, which was nearly 2.5 GB because of the 1080p option I selected, only seems to contain a stereo audio track when played via iTunes on my Windows PC. Selecting "Prefer AC3 Passthrough" produces no sound and also makes the visual component disappear. I can't determine if there was some sort of error with the download itself, or if this is a consequence of the DRM associated with the file.

When playing the .m4v file using another program, including Foobar, there is no audio at all. Maybe someone can diagnose these symptoms and assist. I've never rented or purchased a movie via iTunes before.

No 4K rip?
mkv seems to be the file for atmos

Open with VLC, right click in the video as its playing, select tools, then codec information and a dialogue box will open with the video and audio track(s) information.

fredblue is absolutely correct.

Any/all Atmos streaming so far is lossy and uses a Dolby Digital+ container as a wrapper to encapsulate the atmos stream.

In the case of lossless Atmos (as on UHD or regular Blu-Ray) Dolby True HD is used as the transport mechanism.

I was able to "buy" (although it didn't appear to have a price) the visual component on Apple TV app on the Amazon Fire Stick which definitely supports Dolby Atmos as I have watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode of Season One of Jack Ryan which plays Atmos no problem, but despite saying "Dolby Atmos" on the marketing blurb, when I play it, it is only DD+.

I'm not dying to hear it, would love either of the first two albums, but woudl be nice if it worked properly. Assuming this is lossy. Why are they completly f'ing up this Atmos roll out, they've done just about everything wrong.

I was able to "buy" (although it didn't appear to have a price) the visual component on Apple TV app on the Amazon Fire Stick which definitely supports Dolby Atmos as I have watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode of Season One of Jack Ryan which plays Atmos no problem, but despite saying "Dolby Atmos" on the marketing blurb, when I play it, it is only DD+.

I'm not dying to hear it, would love either of the first two albums, but woudl be nice if it worked properly. Assuming this is lossy. Why are they completly f'ing up this Atmos roll out, they've done just about everything wrong.
Fire Stick only supports Atmos from Amazon Prime!
All other Atmos streams are DD on a Fire Stick.
You need Fire Cube to stream Atmos from other platforms.
It‘s a misleading information from Amazon!

I have the (or some version of the) MKV file and it is 5.1 only (and a 2.0 AAC track I believe). It's not Atmos. I am using a gen2 FireTV (not stick) and Kodi 18.5 I believe. I have plenty of Atmos movies in MKV that the Atmos track plays perfectly fine on. I wish they'd just sell the thing so I could buy it. From a band that sells everything under the sun I am surprised this has not been for sale on bluray.

I have the (or some version of the) MKV file and it is 5.1 only (and a 2.0 AAC track I believe). It's not Atmos. I am using a gen2 FireTV (not stick) and Kodi 18.5 I believe. I have plenty of Atmos movies in MKV that the Atmos track plays perfectly fine on. I wish they'd just sell the thing so I could buy it. From a band that sells everything under the sun I am surprised this has not been for sale on bluray.
Hello... which mkv file are you referring to? Were you able to download and convert a copy from Fire TV? Other people reported they listened to the Atmos stream using Apple TV.

Hello... which mkv file are you referring to? Were you able to download and convert a copy from Fire TV? Other people reported they listened to the Atmos stream using Apple TV.

I was able to stream it on AppleTV+, but it only works on very specific FireTV's (which is not where my home theater is). I have an Nvidia Shield there. A friend shared an MKV of it with me so I could play it in my basement, but the MKV only had the 2 audio tracks. 2.0 and 5.1. No Atmos. No clue what the original source was. If it was an iTunes purchase or not. I just don't want to buy it on iTunes only to find out that version is only 5.1. I've already bought multiple versions of the album on top of it.

I am using a gen2 FireTV (not stick) and Kodi 18.5 I believe. I have plenty of Atmos movies in MKV that the Atmos track plays perfectly fine on.

so your gen 2 FireTV (flat square box?) plays atmos fine? I thought only the firetv stick and the firetv cube played any atmos at all?

so your gen 2 FireTV (flat square box?) plays atmos fine? I thought only the firetv stick and the firetv cube played any atmos at all?
I play Atmos mkv’s on my Shield regularly. The FireTv (dongle version that hangs down) supports the AppleTV+ app. I watched it on there but not in Atmos as it is not where my home theater is. I never looked into Atmos support for those since I didn’t need it. Sorry if that was confusing.

Anyone know how to "find" an mkv file with the lossy Atmos/DD+? I ended up getting a Shield rather than the Fire Cube to replace my Fire Stick 4K as it sounds like the Cube may only support Atmos/DD+ whereas I like to backup my UHD discs and BDs to MKV so I need a device that supports Atmos/TrueHD which I now have. But of course the Shield doesn't have the option to install an AppleTV app like the Amazon devices do, so....

Again reminded of just how absolutely stupid this "Atmos" roll out has been by Dolby and whomever is partaking. Here ready to spend money on Blu-ray discs of these albums but Bupkis.

And just to be clear, if it’s a file I can purchase please point me in the right direction. As I think goes without saying for most of us here, we are happy to pay a reasonable amount for surround on disc (or downloadable surround like the FLACs of Tubular Bells 2009 5.1)

I balk at $100+ for sets I only want a single disc of but I am all for paying money for reasonably priced physical media.

Back