Charles and Bernice(Ray) Eames: Some backstory on the Eames chair

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay: I love Charles (and Ray) Eames and everything associated with them. And I'm glad to see Ray getting some overdue recognition. But I was scratching my head over this post, wondering what it had to do with "General Hardware," until I did a little Googling and learned about the "Quadreflex" speaker. So that just shows you how much I actually knew about the Eameses to begin with...

(Charles Schultz had one in his home, which burned to the ground in the 2017 fires in Napa and Sonoma counties. Scroll about halfway down in the righthand sidebar.)

eames_quadraflex.jpg

Last edited:
Okay: I love Charles (and Ray) Eames and everything associated with them. And I'm glad to see Ray getting some overdue recognition. But I was scratching my head over this post, wondering what it had to do with "General Hardware," until I did a little Googling and learned about the "Quadraflex" speaker. So that just shows you how much I actually knew about the Eameses to begin with...

(Charles Schultz had one in his home, which burned to the ground in the 2017 fires in Napa and Sonoma counties. Scroll about halfway down in the righthand sidebar.)

View attachment 51185
Thanks for the link, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thanks for the link, thoroughly enjoyed it!

I've only just realized that I was spelling the brand name wrong--with an "a" instead of an "e." Which is why Google didn't take me immediately to the relevant Eames Co. page:

https://eames.com/en/speakers
Even though the "Quadreflex" (model E-4) had nothing to do with quadraphonic sound, the description of an earlier speaker, the E-3, should be especially interesting to folks like us: "Hot on the heels of the E-1 and E-2 was a new design entitled the 'Three Way Speaker' and so naturally adopted the model number E-3. The design aspired to disperse the sound around to different parts of the room, if you like - an early version of surround sound. It was able to achieve this by utilizing three separate speakers, aimed at different frequencies and directions. Stephens marketed the design as 'dispersion, as never before attained in a high fidelity enclosure'. "

Eames-E3-Advert.jpg

Last edited:
These look really cool! The Eames Quadreflex is an absolute stunner... It reminds me of watching The Jetsons... 🛸 I wonder how it sounds? :unsure:

JBL relaunched their L100 series recently, so maybe a comeback could happen one day? How cool would it be to get a quad set up of either of those?

Back