Audacity help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'll resurrect this old thread rather than start a new one. Over in the Deadwing/In Absentia thread, there has been discussion about fixing the mix of the In Absentia DVD-Audio by doing the following:

- Invert the center channel (corrects phase issue)
- Trim 10ms off the beginning of the LFE channel on each track (corrects misalignment)
- Amplify the LFE channel 7.6dB on each track (kicks ass)

I said over there I wasn't asking for a tutorial, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to do the last two in Audacity. Has anyone ever done something like this?

I guess I'll resurrect this old thread rather than start a new one. Over in the Deadwing/In Absentia thread, there has been discussion about fixing the mix of the In Absentia DVD-Audio by doing the following:

- Invert the center channel (corrects phase issue)
- Trim 10ms off the beginning of the LFE channel on each track (corrects misalignment)
- Amplify the LFE channel 7.6dB on each track (kicks ass)

I said over there I wasn't asking for a tutorial, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to do the last two in Audacity. Has anyone ever done something like this?
I’m looking for help too!

TRIM off 10ms of a channel
click inside the track where you want the cut to be, and drag to the left. You should see a white section that represents the area to be cut. Then under EDIT chose CUT. the whole track shifts to the left when the area you selected is lopped off. Play to check the re-alignment with the other tracks. Use UNDO if you don't like the results.

AMPLIFY the LFE 7.6db
Double click inside the LFE track to select the entire track, then go to TOOL and select AMPLIFY, a box appears where you put in the number then select go.

Save the changes
use EXPORT under FILE. I would modify the file name to tell the original from the edited file.

TRIM off 10ms of a channel
click inside the track where you want the cut to be, and drag to the left. You should see a white section that represents the area to be cut. Then under EDIT chose CUT. the whole track shifts to the left when the area you selected is lopped off. Play to check the re-alignment with the other tracks. Use UNDO if you don't like the results.

AMPLIFY the LFE 7.6db
Double click inside the LFE track to select the entire track, then go to TOOL and select AMPLIFY, a box appears where you put in the number then select go.

Save the changes
use EXPORT under FILE. I would modify the file name to tell the original from the edited file.
Really awesome the instructions.

Thanks! So the scale at the top when you first open a file in Audacity is in seconds, right? I assume you have to zoom in to get to a scale closer to milliseconds. When I do that, I can see the scale/numbers at the top changing, but there are no units (seconds, milliseconds, etc.) listed. Is there a way to know when you've arrived at the right scale to trim 10 ms?

Last edited:
This is the message I get when do Export under File:

1584825789690.png

What am I doing wrong?

This is the message I get when do Export under File:

View attachment 47594

What am I doing wrong?

Did you ever get an answer to this, because I am getting the same message and I also can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Edited to add: Never mind, I found it in the manual. You have to change Preferences for Import/Export from "Mix down to Stereo or Mono" to "Use Advanced Mixing Options".

Last edited:
I had a very strange thing happen to me today with Audacity. :unsure:

During my normal daily Up-mixing chores (ha-ha) I played a newly up-mixed song to Foobar2000 and the channel assignments were not correct. I did everything as I normally do for exporting. So I ran several virus checkers and then re-booted machines. Still no change. Finally, for export, I highlighted each channel before export and then exported (just a chance thought) and it came back to the correct positions. It also came back to exporting correctly after that by "not" highlighting the channels (typically I don't have to.) The only thing that changed recently on my machine is that I had run a conversion to stems on the new program "Acoustica 7 w/Spleeter" ... So maybe something interfered with Audacity there, a dreaded dll or something, who knows a Ghost in the Machine for sure :oops:

Back